Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a thread thinking there were new regulations however I am an idiot. Not sure how to delete thread.

• Haha
Reactions: WVbowProud

·
NOOBY
1,963 Posts
i have not hunted in MN for a few years now but hunted there for over 20 before I moved out of state. They were talking about the shotgun restriction then too. I don't see it happening. I hope it never does either.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,068 Posts
There was a bill in the legislature to allow center fire rifles state wide for deer hunting. It failed

Nothing new for archery to the best of my knowledge. CWD changes each year.

Season dates are roughly the same, without major changes. I am glad to see the center fire rifle restriction intact.

As a state land hunter in central Minnesota, rifles would be too much, as the terrain in central Mn is too open for rifles. I am a safe gun hunter, but many are not.

I wish Minnesota would lengthen the gun season uniformly across the states and effectively deal with wolves.

Tags are over the counter in Minnesota, but the hunting is better in Wisconsin. Tags are over the counter there as well.

·
NOOBY
1,963 Posts
my father in law and my brother and extended family still hunt there. They like the "slug" hunting very much. They are not anti rifle, but hope it never changes. I remember when it was just two weekends and not 10 days like now. It should be double that. If it was I might go back and hunt with family again. Hard to spend a couple hundred dollars for a buck only tag, transportation and everything that goes with it when I wouldn't get an decent amount of time to hunt.

I hear every year that the wolves are PIA! But the state "animal" issue will never be addressed. In same ways moving out of state was a blessing for my hunting. I do much better now here.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I just wish they'd push back gun season till mid November at the earliest.
This is my biggest hope.......they should start the gun season the same weekend that Wisconsin does. I would thankfully give up the September archery season if they pushed gun season back and started archery on October 1.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
I've been out of the state of Minnesota for three years and the dnr computer still considers me a resident even though I've clicked on resident. Last weekend I was up there, everyone seems very tense. Lots of foreign liberals it's like a different country. I'll stay in my red state

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not sure whether this will be the official 2022 Minnesota thread but I'll follow along. 2021 was my worst season of deer hunting in a long time. Not many deer sightings and too many interruptions from neighbors. Been seeing a lot more deer in the fields at night and the food plots are doing well, hoping for a turn around.

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Stay away from the metro, Rochester area and Duluth and the north shore and you will be in red country. But yeah, it's a liberal state. Last time it went red was a long time ago.

Reactions: Daave

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
I'm not sure whether this will be the official 2022 Minnesota thread but I'll follow along. 2021 was my worst season of deer hunting in a long time. Not many deer sightings and too many interruptions from neighbors. Been seeing a lot more deer in the fields at night and the food plots are doing well, hoping for a turn around.
I had a tough year last year too. Honestly, there were tons of deer around my area in central MN, but I think they got on a nocturnal pattern or something because my sightings were not great. I did shoot a doe on my first sit of the year though. Could have shot a few small bucks, but passed.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weird the new regs aren't out yet. I feel like they are usually out by the 4th of July.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I grew up in Minnesota and moved to Maine in 2007. I always wish I could go back but the politics of Mn has changed so much I don't think it would ever feel like it used to be. Maine has a lot of the same issues being Boston's wealthy and elite's vacation homes. I remember hearing wolves in Ely but really didn't see or hear them much south of the iron range. I hear they have pushed south so that can not be good news.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
20,819 Posts
I grew up in Minnesota and moved to Maine in 2007. I always wish I could go back but the politics of Mn has changed so much I don't think it would ever feel like it used to be. Maine has a lot of the same issues being Boston's wealthy and elite's vacation homes. I remember hearing wolves in Ely but really didn't see or hear them much south of the iron range. I hear they have pushed south so that can not be good news.
Outside the Twin Cities and Duluth (that tries so hard to be liberal it's actually entertaining) you don't notice the politics. The wolves however are everywhere and just getting worse. I can tell you already the DNR will blame the weather this year when deer kill numbers are lower than predicted up north AGAIN. It will be either too hot or too cold. Snow or no snow, blah blah blah..... Even if the conditions are absolutely perfect the weather will be the reason for low kill numbers. The wolves are managed on a Federal level still so that isn't going to improve. Even if it's handed back to the states it's not going to matter. We will never be allowed to kill enough wolves to make a difference at this point.

2020 election
World Rectangle Font Red Art

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Didn't really hunt MN last year. Going to spend a few days in the woods this year on the MN side I think. Have a little 10 acre spot in the metro and also put in for Camp Ripley. We will see!

·
NAASP
15,635 Posts
Outside the Twin Cities and Duluth (that tries so hard to be liberal it's actually entertaining) you don't notice the politics. The wolves however are everywhere and just getting worse. I can tell you already the DNR will blame the weather this year when deer kill numbers are lower than predicted up north AGAIN. It will be either too hot or too cold. Snow or no snow, blah blah blah..... Even if the conditions are absolutely perfect the weather will be the reason for low kill numbers. The wolves are managed on a Federal level still so that isn't going to improve. Even if it's handed back to the states it's not going to matter. We will never be allowed to kill enough wolves to make a difference at this point.

2020 election
View attachment 7664964
What you think about the new revised wolf plan?
Sounds to me like we'll never get the chance to take any out.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts