Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Pay It Forward
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's obviously that time of year......a friend of mine was hunting this buck most of the season. She named him one-eye as he had lost an eye in some accident. This was her first season hunting and she had some close encounters with smaller buck and doe and passed. She finally caved on 1/17 and shot a smaller buck (showcased below)...she put a trail camera over the gut-pile as she was hoping to get some pics of the bald eagles that frequent her place. She went out yesterday with her boyfriend to check the card on the camera and found these laying side-by-side....she's pretty stoked and it really has been awesome watching her progress.

Her first deer....
Twig Branch Wood Snow Grass

One-eye, his rack and Sadie not knowing what to do....
Flash photography Deer Plant Fawn Grass

Botany Organism Wood Twig Terrestrial plant

Brown Dog Dog breed Wood Carnivore

We scored the rack adding a 17" spread and he scored 128". As far as I am concerned she had a TREMENDOUS first year bowhunting.

Laurie and I will be out and about this weekend, hopefully we do a little better than last year. The overwhelming majority of the properties we hit are public and they tend to get trampled, but we enjoy getting out together. We found these 16 last year....to find these 16 we spent roughly 240 hours covering roughly 230 miles. We don't track travel time, only our hikes. So if we bike a mile into the Susquehanna NF, we don't start our tracking until we start walking. it really is a great way to get some exercise, spend time together with those important to you and enjoy/experience the outdoors. Even if some of our searches are in wooded strips between a detention center and college campus (lol).

and we tried making a few videos for fun. This seemed to be the one that turned out the best (and that might not be saying much)

I hope we can keep this thread going with others who are out looking and hopefully stumbling across one or two. I am pretty sure John has already landed a few, that guy is shed finding machine. I am starting to think he owns a deer farm or something (haha)

If all goes well, Laurie and I will be taking a trip or two to Western PA in search of some elk sheds in March.

Thanks in advance for contributing and good luck to all those out and about.

·
Pay It Forward
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah John Pro's excursions really peaked our interest. We tried to make it happen last year, but had just about everything that could go sideways go sideways. Laurie seems excited about it, which is really cool. I'll post if/when we go, maybe we could make it a group trip to Hoover?

We'll see how things pan out, our life has been a bit of a roller coaster this fall, unfortunately with constant stops at hospitals and doctors. Any break, even just running up to the Park for a couple of hours is a welcomed respite. I think I only hunted 8 days this entire year. Some things are just more important!

·
Ad Meliora
19,689 Posts
Yeah John Pro's excursions really peaked our interest. We tried to make it happen last year, but had just about everything that could go sideways go sideways. Laurie seems excited about it, which is really cool. I'll post if/when we go, maybe we could make it a group trip to Hoover?

We'll see how things pan out, our life has been a bit of a roller coaster this fall, unfortunately with constant stops at hospitals and doctors. Any break, even just running up to the Park for a couple of hours is a welcomed respite. I think I only hunted 8 days this entire year. Some things are just more important!
Exactly.

I have debated renting a vacation house up near Benezette and spending a few days shed hunting or just running cameras. We stayed up over Christmas last year and enjoyed being away from it all....snowed every day and dirt road was closed nearby. Obviously not time of year for shed hunts, but we did enjoy the location.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I've got about 25 cams up. On those 2 have dropped so far. I know 1 was a 2 yr old 7pt. The other is a dink
The rest showing up are still carrying antlers.

·
Pay It Forward
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is certainly a careful dilemma, especially for us and the areas we search. You see if I get in too soon and push them off their current areas, most end up on private ground that I can’t search. So I get my cams out, scout on the way to and from the office each day and as I notice them dropping we try to get out asap.

In my experience the most mature and healthiest drop first. I would also say the bigger the antlers the more likely they are to be found close to one another l.

I have been watching a small group of 5-6 buck that has one really nice 8 or 9 (can’t tell if the brow is split or not) in the group. Coming home today, 7 deer in the area, but only three with antlers whereas Wednesday night 7 deer in same general spot in the same field and only one WITHOUT antlers. It’s going to be cold but I am hoping to get out there tomorrow or Sunday. Have to wait and see how things go here with Camille.

I saw one-eye Wednesday night run across route 100 and he was carrying both of his antlers. My friend found the matched set of his antlers yesterday, they were 20 feet apart from one another. She was super lucky!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Just my luck. The bucks that have been regulars on cam have disappeared over the last week. No pics of any shed antler bucks.

Hope they don't show back up without their headgear.

·
Pay It Forward
26,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Laurie and I went out for a short walk yesterday morning...lots of sign, bumped a bunch of deer, couldn't see any antlers running away and obviously didn't find any. So 2022 starts off for us with 2-hours out where we covered 1.75 miles and came up with a goose egg. Saturday we had to run some errands down the shore. We were on the road down by 7AM an the way back around 3:30...we saw a crap ton of deer, most while coming home. One field had a giant buck in it..pulled over, pinned the spot, got home and on to BaseMap to figure out a few things, Made a few calls yesterday and one seems to have some promise....you never know...

·
Registered
675 Posts
We don't have that much snow down here in York County. But what we do have is hard and crusty. Any fresh drops would be lying right on top.

Reactions: Pyme
1 - 20 of 322 Posts