Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering this broadhead after some comments here. Now Im shooting 255fps. I have always felt like you really need more Kinectic energy with mechanicals for sure.

You guys that have used these, WHat are your thoughts.

Total arrow weight is 385grns.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Used them shooting 230 fps with a 410 gr arrow and had no problems with getting pass thru's or having the head open. That was with 48 ke. You would be around 55 ke. I see no reason why you should not give them a try. I think that they are one of the better mechanicals out there. Just my 2 pennys.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yep that is plenty of speed, I killed 3 deer with my backup bow last year that was shooting 256fps and had pass thru's on all of them. Closest shot was 4yrds and farthest was 30yrds. And i was using the same broadheads you speak of.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My dad shot threw a mule deer at 80 yards away with a 40# recurve with a bear broadhead in 1972. I seen him do it.

To much hype seems to be running around on what is needed to take a deer. Large heads can make a poor shot work well. Way to many hunters shot to small of heads and when the shot is off a little they loose the game.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
DB,

Why only 255 though? I thought you were shooting the Tribute as a hunting rig? Low poundage maybe????? @ 65 lbs outta a the Tribute I figured you would be in the 285 range, 70 lbs around 300 fps??????

But as for your question, 255 is more than fine for deer, out west were I'm at I'd want more for larger animals and the possibility of longer shots..... Have my Trykon XL setup @ 75.59 lbs of KE and fixed blades for elk.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sold the Tribute

Bugle'm In said:
DB,

Why only 255 though? I thought you were shooting the Tribute as a hunting rig? Low poundage maybe????? @ 65 lbs outta a the Tribute I figured you would be in the 285 range, 70 lbs around 300 fps??????

But as for your question, 255 is more than fine for deer, out west were I'm at I'd want more for larger animals and the possibility of longer shots..... Have my Trykon XL setup @ 75.59 lbs of KE and fixed blades for elk.

Mathews man through and through. Have a MQ32 thats light and short good shooting bow. ONly hits 255fps. I have a MQ2XL also that I might just use, its quicker. Tribute just wasnt for me, very hard wall and if you creep its gone much like the spirals on the Hoyts. I like smooth. 255fps is good enough for my Wasp that cut on contact. I have always been told one needs 65lb of kinectic energy with mechinacal blades. I might just shoot them open.
DB

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Man DB with your DL how are you only getting 255 from a 385 grain arrow? How much poundage are you shooting??????? You need to get a Switchback and get rid of those super slow bows.

If that Tribute or spirals want to go on you.......they aren't set up correctly. I have had 5 bows with spirals and none of them were the jumpy rascals that guys claim them to be. If an A 7 isn't set right it will do the same thing.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have taken 2 deer with that head and pretty much same speed as you and had no problems with pass thrus. Both deer died quickly with good bloodtrails.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tell you how it happened

Brown Hornet said:
Man DB with your DL how are you only getting 255 from a 385 grain arrow? How much poundage are you shooting??????? You need to get a Switchback and get rid of those super slow bows.

If that Tribute or spirals want to go on you.......they aren't set up correctly. I have had 5 bows with spirals and none of them were the jumpy rascals that guys claim them to be. If an A 7 isn't set right it will do the same thing.
I have tendacy to creep at times:rolleyes: . Shooting my first big tournament with Tribute, winning the event handly. Went to make a 45 yrd shot, bow apparently creeped and pulled out of my hands. Thats what happen and it aint never happened with my Apex7. Several Bowtech guys in my area agree you cant creep with that bow. Bow has to be shot hard against the wall, Nathan Brooks said that about spirals years ago to me. I shoot 28 1/2" on this MQ32 and it maxs at 56lbs and shoots 255fps. Now for hunting I dont need no super fast bow, I need accuracy and this MQ32 for a short bow will drive tacks at 35yrds and under, thats my normal shooting limit. Speed overated if you ask me. Im just wanting to know if some have had success with mechinicals at this speed. Besides Im getting old and dont like pulling 70lbs anymore. I shoot 60 lbs for 3d.
DB

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info

skynight said:

I do realize your was a direct shoulder hit. Tough for anything to peneatrate a direct shoulder hit, lots of solid bone. Im a double lung guy and stay off that shoulder, thats why accuracy is so important and I think with mechanicals you need more kinectic energy. Thanks for sharing that info with me.
DB

·
The Impartial Archer
18,313 Posts
If your MQ32 is maxing out a 56 its probably not in specs. Is it a 60 pounder?

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a 70lber

deadquiet said:
If your MQ32 is maxing out a 56 its probably not in specs. Is it a 60 pounder?
LImbs are clearly marked. Its actually in specs.

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,493 Posts
Dan, a friend of mine shot thru a doe with his 55lb homemade recurve with a grim reaper. He was using 5575GT's with carbon express 3gr's per inch weight tubes and 5 inch shield cut feathers. Shot the reaper in the closed position. I don't know what the distance was but i imagine it was pretty close.

Never chrono'ed his recurve but I'm sure it had less ke than Your MQ32.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts