Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips on how to adjust the second axis of my sight without the use of some type of bow vice(i dont have access to one and dont care to buy one right now)? The only thing I've come up with so far is to shoot a group at 20 yards and a group at 60 yards(my highest and lowest pin) and see if one group is hitting right and the other hitting left, but I feel like there has to be a more efficient way to do this.

For what its worth, I'm shooting a field logic IQ micro 5. On a side note, has anyone noticed that on the windage elevation on this particular sight, that it can be tightened down with the sight out of square? Its the only thing Ive noticed I dont like on the sight so far. It makes it tough to make small adjustments without throwing the second axis off. Anyways, any help on all of this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
Hold a carpenter square against the limb pockets and make it vertical. Now look at your sight level and see if the bubble is in the middle. If it's not, adjust the 2nd axis until it is. Try to hold the bow/square as vertical possible so the top cam isn't leaning way forwards or backwards too. If you do lean it forwards or backwards, the 3rd axis will come in to play and you may chase your tail. If you have archery levels that clip to the string, that's a good way to make sure you're not leaning the bow forwards/backwards.

Obviously this is all easier with a vice but it can be done free hand like that.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I'd make sure your 1st axis is set first, then put the riser/limb pockets against a door frame and adjust 2nd axis until the bubble is in the middle. At this point, simply move the bow to the other side of the door frame and turn the bow around and repeat. If the bubble isn't still in the middle, your DOOR is not plumb. Split the difference on the bubble, or find another door frame that is plumb.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd make sure your 1st axis is set first, then put the riser/limb pockets against a door frame and adjust 2nd axis until the bubble is in the middle. At this point, simply move the bow to the other side of the door frame and turn the bow around and repeat. If the bubble isn't still in the middle, your DOOR is not plumb. Split the difference on the bubble, or find another door frame that is plumb.
What a simple yet effective idea. I'll put a level on the door frame first to check for plumb. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
We did this for years. It is still a great way to make a quick check for level on your sight. First thing I do when buying a new house is to find a door that is perfectly level. I have a BriteSite sight leveler for the initial set up and the door for quick checks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts