Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guinea pigged a couple of friends bows that needed new strings and tried 2x on the cam area serving to see how it would fare. No problem cams just easy wearing, 2 cam systems. I have used Halo almost exclusively for the past few years and wanted to try a different material just because. Anyone use the 2x much for this application ? Just looking for some insight as to what I can expect.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
I'm not a real big 2x fan. I think 3d is a better option. The only place we use 3d is on some non roller idler wheels.

·
StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
Is there a particular reason you do not like the 2X ??

·
33,999 Posts
We've found it's about the least durable serving out there. I've had roller guards that shredded 2x. Changed to another material and all was well.

·
StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
I just started using 2x as a less expensive alternative to halo for those high pressure areas where separation can be an issue. The advertised tensile strength shows to be higher than any other serving material at similar diameters, so I figured it should be suitable. So far I have not seen any issues but I have only been using it for about a month.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Most bows it can take the abuse from it but its not the best choice. Most of us string builders that are building a ton of strings can take the chance of using a less than ideal material. It dooes work well for loops and thats about as far as I will use it. Every string builder likes different types. I myself hate 3d mainly bc of its size. I like smaller diam.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Believe it or not I've had good luck with 2 x. I made a set for a conquest 4 with a mini max cam, and the guy has shot the wheels off it, and its holding up great. Its been on there for 5 months and no serving separation at all. I didn't think it would last over a couple weeks but it has. Dont think you can beat it for the price!

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
REMEMBER that some of the braided spectre fishing lines do work very well for serving as alternative to pricey halo, ive used some with great results myself.

·
33,999 Posts
THe only place you use 3D is on idler wheels?
correction...the only place we use 2x is on non roller idler servings....and loops when we need them served.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I use 2x on all my loops as I serve every loop on all strings. I use .14 halo almost everywhere except on idle wheel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts