Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the guys that have really been around shooters awhile like ahunter55 and others that have been in archery a long time.
What's the percentage of archers, Im thinking hunters mostly, that can easily, consistently put arrows in a 3" circle at 30 yards?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Quite a high percentage I hope. Although with most game, your target is more like 8-10" diameter.

Reactions: Wascallywabbit

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
About any that spend the time to learn and tune their equipment, make nice arrows, and shoot A LOT.

And if you don't now, you can....

Did I mention it helps to shoot a lot ? There are some guys who can pull them out of the closet and go right at it after a long layoff.

Most or at least a good portion have to shoot a lot to help them refine their equipment,arrows,and form...

Don't let something with your equipment not being right hold you back

And don't let something wrong with you hold you back

Work out the kinks in both, bow and shooter

·
Keith Karr
1,971 Posts
The average Bowhunter that picks up his bow and starts shooting a week before season and hardly ever shoots during season would be lucky to keep all their arrows in a 6” circle at 30 yards.

Shooting 100% in a 3” circle at 30 yards means you never miss you aiming point more than 1 1/2”…..a very tough feat for guys that shoot regularly actually.

I consider myself a pretty fair shot….but if being honest with myself I probably only keep around 80% inside a 3” circle at 30 yards. With that said I regularly shoot 4-5” groups at 60 but not all groups are that good. Sometimes I miss the dot 6-8” at 60 yards.

At 30 l sometimes miss the dot 3-4”. Not often but it happens.

It will be interesting what other experienced shooters say about this.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
3 at 30 for many is horrible. I rarely shoot large game out west at less than 45 yds. At 30 yds my arrows should be touching.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It all depends on your sample size.

My average 3 shot group at 30 yards is under 3 inches. My average six arrow group is more like 3.5 inches. I typically shoot six arrow groups and mark each arrow, which gives you one six-arrow group, but four three arrow groups (1-2-3, 2-3-4, 3-4-5, and 4-5-6). Maybe 25-30% of the time, I get all six into 3 inches.

It's roughly similar for me all the way out to 70 yards. I had a 1.75 inch 70 yard group for three arrows a few weeks ago... but the other three arrows made the six arrow group 6.7 inches... which is still not bad, but not quite a brag-worthy.

All you can do is keep trying to get better.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'd say I'm in that 3" circle 95% + of the time. Average is hard to say. In general I'd say that most here are better than average. That leaves a lot of "other" archers out there. Without a doubt, many of the others are very, very good but there's got to be a ton of them that would be happy with hitting a 12" pie plate.

·
When's bow season start?
9,022 Posts
Per AT, there are 144,000 members on this site. Many are target archers, not bowhunters. Per Deer and Deer Hunting in 2020: “Again, there are 11.4 million deer huntersin the U.S. This includes 4.63 million bowhunters. We are just talking deer here; this doesn’t include elk, bears, moose, sheep, turkeys, ducks, geese, other small game, etc.”

So, less than 2.5% of all bowhunters in the US are members of AT (and not all bowhunters on AT live in the US, and many of those 144,000 members post rarely or never). Needless to say, I’m fairly confident that the “3” or less at 30 yards” that tend to predominate in AT does not reflect the vast majority of those 4,630,000 bowhunters.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It's a lot easier to shoot consistent 3" groups than it is to hit a 3" dot at 30 yards with the same consistency. This is just grabbing your bow and going. This is because of slight form inconsistencies from day to day that can walk your groups but you are consistent within that day so you maintain decent groups. Your bow is back on the next day when having a better shooting day. I'm gonna say less than 1 in 10 archers can uncase their bow and have the first shot of the day (or 3rd, I'll give you some warm ups) hit that 3" dot over 90% of the time (my definition of consistent).

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,070 Posts
tough crowd and sounds like some poor shooters on here
I have not shot my bow since turkey season, I bet I and almost everyone i know who bowhunts can pull there bow out of the closet and shoot 3 arrows aat 30 yards in a 3 inch circle.
I am going to go shoot my bow the first time tommorow.
My question is why do that? I do not like to tear up fletchings and break nocks. I buy a dozen arrows once every few years by shooting each arrow at a individual spot.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X, Bowtech Carbon Icon
194 Posts
For perspective,
The Metro Bowhunters Resource Base organizes hunts in an applicant type hunts within city limits around the Minneapolis Metro area for deer population control. This is in areas where you typically are not allowed to hunt and can often see houses from where you set your tree stand. It's actually pretty good hunting.
Anyway, they have 2 proficiency tests that are required in order to successfully apply and are as copied/pasted below:

Standard qualification: 5 of 5 arrows in a 7″ circle at 20 yards.
Sharpshooter qualification: 5 of 5 arrows in a 4″ circle at 20 yards.
This test can only be taken once per day!

Hardly seems like a test to me. Makes me wonder how many people are deterred by or fail the test.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,070 Posts
For perspective,
The Metro Bowhunters Resource Base organizes hunts in an applicant type hunts within city limits around the Minneapolis Metro area for deer population control. This is in areas where you typically are not allowed to hunt and can often see houses from where you set your tree stand. It's actually pretty good hunting.
Anyway, they have 2 proficiency tests that are required in order to successfully apply and are as copied/pasted below:

Standard qualification: 5 of 5 arrows in a 7″ circle at 20 yards.
Sharpshooter qualification: 5 of 5 arrows in a 4″ circle at 20 yards.
This test can only be taken once per day!

Hardly seems like a test to me. Makes me wonder how many people are deterred by or fail the test.
They have something like that around the St. Loouis aarea too,
probably deterrs the jack wagon who thinks he is going to shoot the booner in Ms. Smiths back yard.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good comments. I probably should have made it a poll. For ex. A 3 arrow end, how many times out of ten will all three arrows be in the 3" circle? 10 for 10, 9-10, 8-10, 7-10.
I'm not and have never been around a lot of bowhunters so was wondering how good bowhunters really are.
With my low poundage I decided to keep my shots at 30 and under this year.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I'd consider 4" groups at 30, below average with compounds. The best way to tighten up short range groups is to start shooting at much longer distances consistently. When fine motor muscles are developed to hold steady enough to shoot 3" or 4" groups at 70 or 80 yards, 30, 40 or even 50 yard groups get routinely much smaller--like 1 or 2". 3" groups at 30 may be average, I'd never want to consider myself an "average" archer. To me, archery is about striving for perfection, not mediocrity.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When i firs started bowhunting i had pretty cheap gear. Walmart arrows and broadheads, arrows were not cut down at all, few were not even matching. Heck i didnt know nothing about tuning a bow, but at 30 yards i could keep a 6-7" group and i killed the heck put of deer that first season or 2. Now at 30 yards i would say on average i hold 4-5" on a average day. Some days i shoot great where they are touching other days it opens a bit.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X, Bowtech Carbon Icon
194 Posts
As for my own skill level, my average 30yd group is in a 3" circle but I definitely get some flyers that fall outside that fairly often.
I was shooting 60 yards today and it seemed like I would put 3 out of 5 in a 3in group but I just couldn't get the other 2 in there, they probably made the group closer to 8" or 10".
I shoot 1 to 2 times a week and am on my 3rd year doing this sport. I have not gotten into building arrows or tuning arrows yet and am hoping that will help tighten up some groups when I do in the near future. I do know that I am a little inconsistent in my form and am trying to work on it. Wish I could get some time with a coach!

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
1800 archers shot the NFAA indoor Ky 300 round in 2019. This is 20 yards and a 3" spot *not 30 yds. Again, these are "target" shooters & most will be shooting lesser weight allowing for more accurate aiming/holding & target arrows (no BHs that can get persnickity at times). Forty Eight of the 1800 shot all their arrows in that 3" spot at TWENTY yds.. Trust me, 10 yards will make a big difference.. Since these guys take that little 3" spot seriously for the highest score they can get It is "my guess" they are a hell of a lot more accurate than most bowhunters or maybe "average" bowhunters. I have shot a ton of arrows hunting & in various type tournaments. Sadly, age has taken its toll on me & my 3" groups at 30 yds aren't always 3 inches.. I have seen about every kind of "bowhunter" on a 3D course you can imagine & sometimes it's not very pretty. Okay, I've rattled on long enough.. Just a guess but with BHS & at 30 yds taking 3 shots with all your tackle tuned I'm gonna say 10% will get all 3 in that 3" spot at 30 yds... Can you do it 3 out of 3 (9 shots) I doubt it.. To qualify for our inner city hunts we have to shoot FIVE BHS at TWENTY yds, NO misses allowed & be inside a 9" circle. I've done this same qualifier for another special hunt too. 10 times & I have never missed but I have seen several not make the cut.. I regulary shoot BHs at my sons with his 5 hard core veteran bowhunting buddies. NO ONE takes bowhunting more serious than this group (late 30s early 40s). No one puts them in that 3" spot without ever missing.. I mean fellas, you all know how big the TEN RING is on a 3D targets. Are you guys shooting 300 on a 30 tgt range or 400 on a 40 target range? I know my tackle & my abilities & I know I'm going to get a boo boo at times BUT pretty sure I'll make it in the 9" kill area at 30.... Good Luck to all this fall & hope your BHs are all in that 3" spot... pic is 23 yds & 2" spot. 30 is a hell of a lot tougher.
Smile Wood Tree Grass Shooting range

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,377 Posts
30 yards isn’t such a big deal.

I subscribe to the theory for every 10 yards, 1 inch away from a Bull.

30 yards would be 3 inches. Therefore that’s AVERAGE. We all know average sux.

Next thing is, equipment. Clarifier or lenses that magnify make it easier.

Bow hunting set up with 10 inch or less stabization , peep and sight with no magnifying at all is a bit harder then with magnifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shooting a bow is like driving a car. Anyone can do it. Some can do it extremely well. The differences in skill between the guy next to you on the interstate and the guy in a cockpit of an F1 race car is like the difference between the "average" archer and someone who wins world championships.

Driving down the interstate at 70 mph just a couple feet from others doing the same thing is so simple every single person who owns a car can do it. Shooting 6" groups at 30 yards is like driving. Probably anyone with a bow can do it. The smaller the CONSISTENT group size, the closer you get to world class.

I feel like hitting 3 niches is a common skill, but then I read what @ahunter55 wrote, and I start to question whether I have any perspective at all.
Forty Eight of the 1800 shot all their arrows in that 3" spot at TWENTY yds..

1 - 20 of 193 Posts