Archery Talk Forum banner

3 Bows for a new hunter

625 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ruffrider
Not trying to beat a dead horse, im just trying to assemble some good info before I make a Choice. 3 bows seem to be popping up after 3 days of research. Again I am a new hunter on a limited budget. Not into prestige. I just want a bow thats got a forgiving learning curve and will kill a deer. What do you think of these 3:

1)PSE Stinger
2)Martin Cheetah
3)Parker Wildfire XP

Remember New hunter, smaller budget. 26 inch draw 42 years old
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
good choices

They should all perform about the same and feel about the same! So Go and shoot them to see which feels the best to you!

I wouod lean towards the stinger

· Registered
410 Posts
Of the three I have shot the PSE and the parker. Both nice bows that will definitely kill a deer. I would also consider the Bear Lights out, and the Bowtech Tomkat, but its slightly more. I worked at Bass Pro all summer and the Wildfire XP, and the Bear Lights Out were our number one sellers in any price range. Never heard of any major problems with either.

· Registered
325 Posts
I was out of archery for many years and when I got back on the boat I bought a new Martin and I loved it. It is a great shooting, forgiving, fast accurate bow with a good punch. After 3 weeks with it I was shooting robin hoods. I say to each his own though. I reccomend going out and shooting one of each, any pro shop will let you demo a bow. Don't worry about accuracy at that time cuz you'll most like be shooting w/o sights, but focus on how the bow feels in the draw, how smooth it is on the release and how the wall sits. Make sure the bow tech sets it up with your draw length and a weight that is comfortable. Best of luck with your choice and let us know what you decide to go with.

· Registered
5,920 Posts
Of those, I think I'd lean towards the Parker, but you may also want to give the Bear Lights Out some consideration, it's a lot of bow for the money as well.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
I really have to say the Martin Cheetah is the way to go. I had a first time shooter hitting "dimes" with it the other day at 20. Lifetime warranty. $300 new. fast, quiet, short and pretty!

· Registered
272 Posts
save yourself the money and stay away from the parker xp. got my wife one for the same reasons and took it back a week later. lots of research and phone time with there reps and lets just say they are not as reliable as they used to be.

great new bow for a really good price is the fred bear lights out. got my wifes for 300. adjustable draw length from 24-30 inches with diff modules. draw wt from 45 to 60 on hers or 55-70.

has an 8 3/4 brace ht. it's extremely smooth to draw and shoot. i like it more than my guardian. it's almost as quiet as my guardian and has very lil if any hand shock. she's getting decent speeds and killed avery nice goat with it last weekend at 24 yards with an 85gr slick trick at 52lbs.

great buy and at or less than the others you named.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.