Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shooter of many brands.
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is making a 3 color string the same as 2 color with just a 3rd color added? I have been making 2 color strings with no problems. What should I watch for? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
same , just have to seperate all 3 colors when twisting , here is a pic of my 1st 3 color a month or so ago :
yellow , tan , green

·
Custom String Builder
1,821 Posts
Just make sure you keep track of the center of the bundle for peep placement. Could/can be tricky with 3 color string

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Just what I was thinking and you said it. Sure is tricky finding the center if you don't keep track of it.

Hutch

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
Just what I was thinking and you said it. Sure is tricky finding the center if you don't keep track of it.

Hutch
thats why whever i make strings i put a small piece of serving thru it after its laid up and ends tied up, this way when going to stretch/twist center is identified. not a bad way to keep even split very easy to find after strings made

·
******* Engineer
3,942 Posts
I have a question for you guys on a 3 color string.... you mention that finding the center is difficult sometimes, so here is an idea I had. I'm thinking of making Flo. Green, Blue and Black strings. I was thinking of doing half the strands in Black and 1/4 of the strands Flo. Green and 1/4 Blue. This would make finding the center quite easy wouldn't it? Would it look odd? Just wondering if anyone had a pic of a set sort of like this, it doesn't have to be the exact colors, I just want to get the idea of how it would turn out. Thanks in advance! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Heres mine Yellow Cocoaberry and Royal Blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
where are you tying off the ends of the 3rd color? I know many people, myself included tie off on each end, but I can't visualize how to tie off the 3rd color.
the few ive made were just a few strands of black vs several of 2 other colors, i left the 4 strands black long and served over on the one end. I know some have said they take the end with the 4 tags and used all 4 tags when the tied off end loops. havent tried myself yet but you could tie them in with other ends, would make a 2 color end loop too LOL

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
I have a question for you guys on a 3 color string.... you mention that finding the center is difficult sometimes, so here is an idea I had. I'm thinking of making Flo. Green, Blue and Black strings. I was thinking of doing half the strands in Black and 1/4 of the strands Flo. Green and 1/4 Blue. This would make finding the center quite easy wouldn't it? Would it look odd? Just wondering if anyone had a pic of a set sort of like this, it doesn't have to be the exact colors, I just want to get the idea of how it would turn out. Thanks in advance! :darkbeer:
have a buddy that has a set from Breathn and his is like that, one color half and other 2 1/4s and its orange, white and silver and it doesnt look bad where the peep is and string is split with 2 different colors. a 3 color is pretty nice looking anyway you look at it

·
******* Engineer
3,942 Posts
have a buddy that has a set from Breathn and his is like that, one color half and other 2 1/4s and its orange, white and silver and it doesnt look bad where the peep is and string is split with 2 different colors. a 3 color is pretty nice looking anyway you look at it
Thanks for the response.... I have to pick up a spool of Black Trophy to make an actual string so I may try it with some Black B-50 I've got. That way I can play around with how I lay it up and get an idea what the finished product will turn out to look like.

·
Shooter of many brands.
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything went smooth until I had to split strings for the yoke. First attempt I used 8 strands of the first 2 colors and split the the third. Didn't care for it so I did another using 4 strands of each per side and it looked a little better. Did Red, White, and Blue with red servings. D loop and drop rest cable are Red, White and blue also.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yep. The 3 colors on a split buss is a good test for any string maker. Careful planning and isolation of the colors so they can be sorted to the correct locations during the twist is key. My latest used black, silver and red. I used 10 strand of black. 10 strands of red and 4 strands of silver. I split the 4 strands of silver and ran 2 of each up each leg. It turned out great and matched a blacked out Axe 6 to a tee. Wish I had snapped a few pics.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
Yep. The 3 colors on a split buss is a good test for any string maker. Careful planning and isolation of the colors so they can be sorted to the correct locations during the twist is key. My latest used black, silver and red. I used 10 strand of black. 10 strands of red and 4 strands of silver. I split the 4 strands of silver and ran 2 of each up each leg. It turned out great and matched a blacked out Axe 6 to a tee. Wish I had snapped a few pics.
yes ive made a red/silver/blk for a buddies pse axe6 also, and did same strand count too, well was just a test string so i used 22 strand so i went 8-8-6 myself, but i used the fewer strands of the black since it sticks out alot vs more red and silver, it turned out great.

I did a little sample of one last night and it looks good, just have to figure out the tag ends on a split yoke cable..
With a split and tied ends you can use 2 colors on each split of the Y and the 3rd color at bottom of the cable, tie all ends as usual as you will have all 3 ends in different spots so you can build like a 2 color but use the 3rd ends to tie off at bottom of cable. Normal 2 color i have both tied ends at top or Y and bottom is just a piece added as there are no tag ends on the bottoms of my 2 colors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts