Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear what methods others use to judge distance. I've practiced with counting off 5 yards at a time on the ground, and also tried just judging by sight. Judging by sight usually works better for me. How about everybody else?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would suggest going to an indoor range that has the 3D targets sitting around so you can see the sizes of the targets at known distances. I find it easier to find a halfway point to the target and judge that and then double it. go to some non competition 3D shoots and try the halfway trick and try your shot, after you shoot zap the target with a rangefinder and see how well you guessed.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I used the half way method and judging it by twenty and ten yard increments. The pro's judge by sight and highly discourage judging off the ground. They have the advantage of having all the targets to look at though.
That makes a huge difference.

·
Banned
837 Posts
I myself will look at the target intently until a number pops into my head. I will also try to determine a 20yard refference point and try to verifly if the number in my head complys.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
First I quess by target size but then I do half way to make sure im close. I will not go on target size only becuase thats where I have made big mistakes. I also find a tree or something that I know 100% for sure and use that also. So I use a little of all the methods and if I come up with two different yardages i split the difference.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The eyes can play tricks on you in low light situations, tunnels, and shooting over uneven terrain. The best way to judge is by sight, as the sizes of the targets never changes. The problem is that most of us do not have access to all of the Mackenzie targets, so we have to use other tricks to help out. I prefer to use target size as a primary, and then go by a midpoint, and double it. Shoot the average if there is a difference.

CG

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome. Great tips from all. I usually shoot the full range of mckenzie 3 or 4 times a week. I was judging by looking at the ground for a while, and found myself to be a bit off pretty often. I've been working on getting an eye for yardage just to judge off sight, and have improved somewhat.

·
74,535 Posts
Ranging

I practice finding 30yrds all the time. Trees/ground or targets.

If I can find 30 it really helps me.

But practice all the time looking at Mckensies ASA targets and never look at the ground. Simple sight judge and feel that is best.
DB

·
barebower
767 Posts
we often practice guessing distances away from archery, such as in the supermarket, at the beach etc. might be like" how far is that high tide line from where we're sitting", or "how far away is that corn chip display up there", or how far away is my neighbor's fence. also we shoot marked 20metre targets fairly often, so now i'm better able to find 20 metres. my maximum is only 27.4m(30yards). most difficult estimation was guessing a croc on the bank of a dam, shooting across the water from the opposite side. just water between.nothing behind. we all shot low. i was certain it was 20 metres.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I try to judge by visualizing the target first. Then I double check by finding 20 and rolling an imaginary 10 yard stake from there. And sometimes I visualize targets I have at home at known distances where I can create such a mental picture in a given lane. Anyways, if they all come out about the same, I'm good to go. But just one method is asking for trouble. Most do it two or three ways and average as do I. Visualization without any other method is very difficult unless you have all the targets and move them around all the time. Not many have that luxury outside of the best Pros. Go to as many shoots as you can for the best practice. You will get better at it over time.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I go from the target and count back in 10 yard increments. If I shoot over a gulley, I go by target size.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've only really been into 3-D for a few years (at least in a hard core sense). When I started shooting as a kid I was always taught to use incriments to guess yardage and then for larger targets add 2 yards. I've always been pretty good, only a yard off either way occasionally two.

Question is, when you guys are talking about going by target size, what are you talking about?

·
<---- That's 57Loader
2,394 Posts
Question is, when you guys are talking about going by target size, what are you talking about?
Basically just being able to tell exactly how far you are from the target by its size. After a lot of practice I've seen guys get really good at it.

I don't have the targets to practice with so I go by the 1/2 distance from the target or pick a 20 yard spot and go from there.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
What tricks do you use for shots uphill/downhill, targets beyond a hump, or targets on the other side of a gullie or rivine? Some go by inintial judgement then add or subtract 2 or 3 yds. Which senarios do you +/- yardage and how much?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I myself will look at the target intently until a number pops into my head. I will also try to determine a 20yard refference point and try to verifly if the number in my head complys.
Same here

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Why use one method when you can use all of them. I teach my students to use all the information that is available to them. Use your instincts. Tell yourself that target is longer than 35 but less than 40. That narrows it down a little. Look at the ground and find your 20. Judge a tree 1/3 of the way to the target, judge the tree 2/3 of the way to the target. Remember, the target you just shot. Is it more, is it less. With that said, the best way to judge yardage is memorization. In order to memorize yardage you have to read and shoot the same yardage shot after shot. Stand at a 30 yard target (preferably 3D target), read the yardage, shoot it, repeat 100x.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts