Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,983 Posts
I just did the same thing. I was using a tru fire wrist release. Tried the Tru Fire 3d hunter first. Liked it but with all the talk about the Carter Chocolate I ordered one too.

If you are anything like me you will love the consistant ancor point with the thumb release. I am already shooting tighter groups. Heck I think I am even going to hunt with it!

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Just make sure you start out shooting the thumb release with BT. Punching or pass shooting will lead down a path you don't want to follow!

· Registered
194 Posts
I am new to 3D and so in addition to just trying differerent releases I found that the chocolate thumb release was the answer for my 'orthopedic' problems too. The releases that strap (buckle or velcro) on my wrist eventually pulled and hurt my wrist....have had fractures and surgeries on it and just doesn't take the constant pulling.

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Try a T.R.U.Ball Chappy Boss with a Talon head...

That's what I shoot...and YES...I even prefer hunting with it! LOL

I am fixing to get a T.R.U.Ball "HT-4" BT release...Just to play around with, b/c I've always wanted to perfect the art of BT...but never had the "cheeze" to do it until now...Thanks income tax! LOL

· Registered
198 Posts
I use a carter target 4 using BT. Simply relax your index finger when your ready to shoot as you use your back muscle to pull with.....if ya do it right the shot will be a complete surprise. It's different, but once you get used to it, you'll shoot better!

· Registered
12,196 Posts
I moved from a Tru-Ball caliper-style release to a 3-finger hinge-action Stan back tension. It's never too early to do it, IMO. Right now I'm looking into getting a Carter Only BT or one of their many thumb trigger releases to shoot with BT.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
I prefer the Scott Sabertooth. I have 2.

· Registered
2,855 Posts
98% of the people I see using thumb activated releases (not pros) DO NOT use back tension to fire the release.

It doesn't matter if a release is index or thumb finger activated....if you don't use true back tension you'll end up jumping on the trigger and will be dealing with TP if you shoot long enough.

· Registered
66 Posts
split finger. one over, two under. 2 layer tip damascus glove. works great
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.