Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys and gals think that 2 inch Blazer BROADHEAD vanes should be allowed to be shot in the 3-D Bowhunter class? The standing rule says that vanes must be 4 inches or more but Blazers are not a target vanes, they are designed for hunting. Just wondering if the rules should be modified to catch up with todays products.

· Registered
12,648 Posts
I think having any kind of rules regarding vanes is kind of dumb. Perhaps 10 or 15 years ago this made sense but these days . . . no. With expandable broadheads and the kind of vanes made today you are more likely to drive hunters away from a shoot because they don't want to have to buy new arrows. As far as I'm concerned there should be no restrictions on vanes.

· Vendor
36,932 Posts
Yes. In fact, most clubs already allow them in their shoots for the hunter division. Rules need to change with the technology.

· NC ASA Director
36,271 Posts
I just have a screw-in point restriction at my range.

Vane's, don't matter what you got.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Its called Male Bowhunter Release:)

· Registered
5,103 Posts
I am sure if the IBO get enough requests to modify the vane length rule that it will happen, seems to me they always honor all requests in due time.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
preyquester said:
yep,thats why i didnt shoot any ibo this year( didnt feel like stripping off good shooting fletch & replacing with ...??????)
Stephen....you know you didn't have to strip anything.:rolleyes: :wink:

Dave2 said:
I am sure if the IBO get enough requests to modify the vane length rule that it will happen, seems to me they always honor all requests in due time.
You know what really gets me....the IBO listened to what people wanted and gave it to them. Perhaps you're right, do away with the vane restriction and make it all one big MBR class like it used to be.

· NC ASA Director
36,271 Posts
Bobmuley said:
Its called Male Bowhunter Release:)
I keep forgetting this fact for some reason. :confused:

Good point, so the problem is?

· Banned
1,954 Posts
Elwood said:
Do you guys and gals think that 2 inch Blazer BROADHEAD vanes should be allowed to be shot in the 3-D Bowhunter class? The standing rule says that vanes must be 4 inches or more but Blazers are not a target vanes, they are designed for hunting. Just wondering if the rules should be modified to catch up with todays products.
Definatley. They are a hunting item not a target item. IBO REALLLLLLY needs to catch up with the tech of today.

andy

· Registered
14,752 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Yes it needs to be changed, its like saying a person can't shoot a colored bow in bowhunter class its got to be camo. The best way to equalize a class is by limiting the speed the bow can fire the arrow. Long vanes and screw in points means nothing, do most bowhunters that shoot IBO shoot 5 grains per pound on their actual hunting arrows, probably not. I know from expeience I would rather have shooters shooting glue in points than screw in points if I was providing the targets, most shooters don't take the time to match the point size to their arrow size, you have a guy shooting small carbons with points made for big alluminums, tears the heck out of your targets and leaves a lot of points and inserts in them for others to hit and destroy arrows.

· Registered
384 Posts
2 inch blazer vanes

if you want to shoot 2 inch vanes step back and shoot mbr or open class. as close as some targets are in the hunter class you should shoot 4 inch vanes.
step back and shoot from further back it really has helped my shooting. open class you shot anything you want. just try it, you might like it.

· Banned
1,954 Posts
bow47man said:
if you want to shoot 2 inch vanes step back and shoot mbr or open class. as close as some targets are in the hunter class you should shoot 4 inch vanes.
step back and shoot from further back it really has helped my shooting. open class you shot anything you want. just try it, you might like it.
How many guys do you know who actually shoot over 20 yards in the whitetail woods. the average shot for a maine bowhunters is 18 yards. So why would i want to move to the open where the targets can stretch out to 50.
I shoot the hunter class and most often than not i take home 1st. Moving out to open would probably mean pissing my money away and nothing to show for it. I know its only a trophy but its better than going home empty handed.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
lxshooter said:
How many guys do you know who actually shoot over 20 yards in the whitetail woods. the average shot for a maine bowhunters is 18 yards. So why would i want to move to the open where the targets can stretch out to 50.
I shoot the hunter class and most often than not i take home 1st. Moving out to open would probably mean pissing my money away and nothing to show for it. I know its only a trophy but its better than going home empty handed.
Tell you what...you shoot open and I'll mail you a trophy if that's all your in it for....

Now I think I understand why they wanted th Hunter class after all. :rolleyes:

· Registered
384 Posts
2 Inch Bohning

Shooting The Open Class Has Made Me A Better Archer. Maybe You Can't Or Don't Trust Youself Well Enough To Shoot It. Wise Guy. Mail The Trophy From Colorado. I've Won Once In Three Years Of Shooting Open. Placed Numerous Times 2nd & Third. I Do It Because I Like It. You Should See Me Shoot From The Hunter Class Stake I'm Deadly.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
bow47man said:
...The Hunter Class Stake I'm Deadly.
Most shooters do good from the womens stakes.:wink:

Glad to hear that some men make the move up, and they can keep their blazers.:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.