Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried a 3 fletch with Rayzrs? i fletched one up that way a few days ago with the arizona EZ mini with the aggressive helical, and i'm wondering if others have tried it. i feel like they would stabilize a broadhead still out of a tuned bow.... what do you guys think?

this year it's going to be Rayzrs or trad vanes, the rayzrs do pretty well in moisture compared to other size feathers. trad vanes are pretty nice, and love the concept for my region, but they don't seem to be quite as forgiving shooting off the shelf as feathers.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I haven't done it with a traditional setup, however, I shot a 3 fletch with Razyrs out of my compound for a season. Shooting fixed blade heads it stabilized really well.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have some of those. I used them mostly on a set of XX75 1813's. I plan on fletching some 800 spine carbons of some sort with them this season. The youtube Ranch Fairy guy uses them out of his compounds with those heavy oversized broadheads he promotes.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
has anyone tried a 3 fletch with Rayzrs? i fletched one up that way a few days ago with the arizona EZ mini with the aggressive helical, and i'm wondering if others have tried it. i feel like they would stabilize a broadhead still out of a tuned bow.... what do you guys think?

this year it's going to be Rayzrs or trad vanes, the rayzrs do pretty well in moisture compared to other size feathers. trad vanes are pretty nice, and love the concept for my region, but they don't seem to be quite as forgiving shooting off the shelf as feathers.
I’ve been using rayzors for years but in a 4 fletch configuration. No particular reason I just like 4. Recently I’ve been doing a straight fletch. Seems quieter and works just as good as helical but my max is 40 yards. Shooting a 250 gr cutthroat. I like the rancho safari catquiver to keep them dry along with bohning waterproof powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I haven't done it with a traditional setup, however, I shot a 3 fletch with Razyrs out of my compound for a season. Shooting fixed blade heads it stabilized really well.
I have a bunch of Rayzr, but I haven't tried them yet. Did you notice a lot of excessive noise? I've read some people's complaints, while others don't have this issue.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

Following.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yeah, they seem about ideal for a compound. what i don't know, is how that relates to trad bows.... it seems with the popularity of 5" feathers, that the little rayzr wouldn't be enough in a 3 fletch..... i don't think it actually works that way though, i think a lot of things aren't actually tried and dismissed.

when the weather gets better (we got 4" of rain yesterday and almost the same the day prior) i'll shoot some broadheads with my setup, and i'll do it before i dial in the tune the rest of the way.... i'm close now, but showing a little stiff at 20yds... that will be a good test if those rayzrs correct the flight on a broadhead as is

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a bunch of Rayzr, but I haven't tried them yet. Did you notice a lot of excessive noise? I've read some people's complaints, while others don't have this issue.
I didn't notice any more noise than shooting Blazers.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
yeah, they seem about ideal for a compound. what i don't know, is how that relates to trad bows.... it seems with the popularity of 5" feathers, that the little rayzr wouldn't be enough in a 3 fletch..... i don't think it actually works that way though, i think a lot of things aren't actually tried and dismissed.

when the weather gets better (we got 4" of rain yesterday and almost the same the day prior) i'll shoot some broadheads with my setup, and i'll do it before i dial in the tune the rest of the way.... i'm close now, but showing a little stiff at 20yds... that will be a good test if those rayzrs correct the flight on a broadhead as is
As long as you're shooting an arrow thats tuned pretty well and spined right, I think they would work just fine. A longer/bigger fletch is going to help mask any inconsistencies in your form/tune I would imagine.

Take this for what its worth. I'm fairly new to traditional shooting outside what I did when I was a kid. This is just using what I know about shooting compounds.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I didn't notice any more noise than shooting Blazers.
That's great! I use Blazers now, and the elk haven't noticed any excessive noise. With Rayzr's being lighter, I could add a heavier insert or broadhead to increase FOC without significantly increasing arrow weight. I have 100 Rayzrs I got on clearance at Cabelas a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Oh man! I overlooked this being a Traditional Archery post. I was thinking was about compounds! It just popped up under NEW posts... LOL! I guess I'll have to do more research.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great! I use Blazers now, and the elk haven't noticed any excessive noise. With Rayzr's being lighter, I could add a heavier insert or broadhead to increase FOC without significantly increasing arrow weight. I have 100 Rayzrs I got on clearance at Cabelas a couple of years ago.
they are really quiet out of my bow, but recurve speeds are a different deal than a compound. i know 5" shield cuts are loud out of a recurve, and 5" parabolics are audible but not loud. shooting them out of a compound would probably sound like fighter jets. even my supercurve is a slug vs my compound. i think my arrow weight is gonna be around 620gr (guessing with what i'm seeing from bare shafts) i will likely be 165-170fps out of my super curve.... i'll likely never check though, regardless, it's slow enough to not need to worry about speed :ROFLMAO:

i don't like loud vanes/fletchings, don't know if it matters, but i don't like fletching noise. 6 mini blazers on my compound arrows is the quietest fletching configuration

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh man! I overlooked this being a Traditional Archery post. I was thinking was about compounds! It just popped up under NEW posts... LOL! I guess I'll have to do more research.
it all applies🏹

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
they are really quiet out of my bow, but recurve speeds are a different deal than a compound. i know 5" shield cuts are loud out of a recurve, and 5" parabolics are audible but not loud. shooting them out of a compound would probably sound like fighter jets. even my supercurve is a slug vs my compound. i think my arrow weight is gonna be around 620gr (guessing with what i'm seeing from bare shafts) i will likely be 165-170fps out of my super curve.... i'll likely never check though, regardless, it's slow enough to not need to worry about speed :ROFLMAO:

i don't like loud vanes/fletchings, don't know if it matters, but i don't like fletching noise. 6 mini blazers on my compound arrows is the quietest fletching configuration
I've read some posts that using th AZ Carbon Pro Fletch, with 3° helical, vs EZ Mini with 3 Rayzrs overcomes the noise issue, while maintaining excellent control.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i'm going with 4 fletch, i soaked them today and there wasn't much left, and at some point, i will be hunting with wet feathers, just how it is.

i will say, relatively, they don't look much worse than my 5" parabolics that turn into nothing when they get wet. the rayzrs still shot field points well wet, but after seeing them wet i decided there is no downside to 4.

ordered up some more shafts today, and more feathers, wraps, and nocks.... they are gonna be ugly but visible;) white nocks, flo pink wraps, and 4 chartreuse rayzrs. look forward to building some ugly arrows for my pretty bow

·
Registered
284 Posts
I shot little 2" batwings from my recurves and compounds. And I have no issues shooting two bladed heads or big three bladed heads out of any of my bows. It's all about bare shaft tuning.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cut and squared some footers this evening

1 - 17 of 17 Posts