Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about trying out some 3" feathers for hunting arrows. Tipped with either montecs or slick trick 100 grains. I would do 3 feathers with right helical. Would I use parabolic, round or shield cut feather to get best stability? I've used 2" rayzr feathers before with good success but that was with expandable broadheads. So thinking i should try 3" for a little more stability. My arizona mini fletch only fletches up to 3" vanes so thats why im curious about the 3" feathers.
Ive been using 2" blazers now but I want to try feathers out again. Always had great flight with them and seem to hold up better than the blazers in my experience.
Thanks and happy New Year!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I just had a very similar conversation with someome who has been shooting feathers most of his life. His preference is shield cut, with the reason being you get more surface area on the feather. He does have parabolic feathers, but chooses the shield cut for his hunting shafts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I used the 2.8" target max feathers out of my full throttle for hunting and they worked great even when using non vented fixed blade broadheads

·
Registered
846 Posts
A26230FB-2C00-4789-BFEC-C9C591343B69.jpeg

Ozark makes a sharp looking feather! These were my first attempt at fletching with feathers. I will move them closer to the nock next time, but other than that they turned out well.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
No problem using a 3" parabolic, I found them quieter than shield cut. I have used the 3" with many different fixed blade broad heads with excellent accuracy, in fact the 2" shields will work if your bow is tuned and you have good FOC

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Those Ozarks look great, how much are they. I just ordered a bunch of 3" parabolic from China off Ebay and they look really good ($10 per hundred) I guess they have quality turkeys, just hope I don't die from bird flu or poison dye!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Just went to their site. No prices listed on anything. Pottergreg, let us know how the Chinese feathers are. I love the true flites, but we’re getting close to a buck a feather now.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I’ve shot 4” parabolic for many years, with fixed heads. They work great. No reason for me to change.
Think the benefits of smaller or shield would be microscopic if any.
But to each his own.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I've had great luck with Razyrs,no problems with fixed blades. I've found the shield cut is louder than parabolic,if that matters to you. The Ozarks are a nice feather as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look into ozark feathers. Their target maxx series is a very efficient cut. As you can see compared to a parabolic how much more surface area a 2.8" target maxx has compared to a 3" parabolic even though they are the same height.
Had a hard time seeing the yellow feather behind red one. I was about to say hey only one vane in picture there! Those target maxx look to have a lot of surface area. I'm liking those. At $.29 each for 3" from Lancaster archery. More than likely be using a whisker biscuit rest I'll be refletching some. It's sort of fun anyways.

I'm sure any of the 3" would be plenty of feather but just looking for input. Lancaster has a lot of different varieties of 3" feather for around a quarter a feather. These are the simple solid colors and 3"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts