Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get everyone elses opinion of this. I fletched up one Gold Tip 5575, cut it to 28 3/4", glued the insert in and installed a 100 grain Thunderhead. Oh yeah I put 3 2.6" AAE fletching on this arrow. I done the measurement and this gives me a 12% FOC.

I shot this arrow at 10,20,30,40 and 45 yards. No problems with arrow flight that I seen. The question is would anyone else use 3 inch fletching to hunt with? My speed for this set up is 267fps.

·
74,535 Posts
Bottome line

I have used 3". I shoot 75grn braodheads. I would think 4" would be better choice for you. If there grouping well then theres no reason not to shoot them.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I was using 3 inch vanes with 28 inch GT Hunter XT's only because I ordered them wrong and they flew very good out to 30 yards which is as far as I shoot.

When I recently bought a fletching jig I did redo them to 4 inch vanes and did find that the 4 inch vanes made me a little more consistent. Meaning fewer unexplained flyers.:rolleyes:

I really think the entire difference was because of my own form flaws.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Personally 4 inch is the shortest I'll shoot. I only use feathers and want good arrow flight with the broadhead.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I make my own 3 inch turkey feathers and shoot slick trick broadheads and have excellent flight and accuracy.The home made turkey feathers also look great;it's also nice to kill a deer with the feathers from one of my spring gobblers

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't know if I would trust the 3" fletch for hunting or not. Have you shot them in wind? I'm Wondering if a twig would send them off course more so than a 4 inch fletch(not that any arrow does well with twigs).
I guess I really haven't heard of anyone shooting 3 inchers with b-heads. Test it out before hunting, but if it works fine go for it!

peashooter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts