Archery Talk Forum banner

3 inch vanes for BH

608 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Archer Dad
Any one ever use a 3 inch vane with BH ? Just trying some different things I have 3 blazers 3-4 inch and 3-3 inch I think for just target shooting they will probably do just fine but have never shot them. My main condern is how they will do with a BH.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Well they might work. I was using low profiles that didn't really...atlest not to my standards of forgivness, which seem to be much higher than most everyone. I like my 5" helical feathers the best, but I wish I could use 5.5"....not enough clearance, they are .2" higher.

· Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input I will let you know how my 3inch 3 flech dura vanes go.

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
3" Quick spins for me. Shooting a 100gr. Ultimate Steel though. Works great. Package says fletch straight or offset. I give them a good helical for insurance.

· Registered
8,488 Posts
3" vanes; good for FP's no good for BH. The Flex Fletch 360's work good for BH's or Blazers

I shoot the SF XL, which are 1.5" wide. I was using the FF 360 vanes and had great results with them. I decided to try some of their Flash vanes which are 2.1" but have more surface area then most 3" and a high leading edge. I have been extremely impressed with them. They fly right with the longer fletched vanes and also shaved off about 15 grains in the back to improve foc. IMO, they are the best short hunting vane out there and I have shot them all except the Bi-delta.

· Owner WR Custom Bowstring
1,059 Posts
3" vanes for Broadheads

I'm using 3" Vanetec Vmaxx on Easton Axis 500 with 100grn NAP Hellrazors. Took a little tune but got them flying great out to 60 yards.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
I use 3.5 vanes with 6 degree helica and my 100gr muzzy's fly perfect.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I have tried all the QS sizes with BH's and the 2" Speed Hunters work best for me. Having said that, the 3" came in second place. They work OK, but drop a little more than the 2" at distance, and they were just a tad bit more scattered at 60 yards.

· Registered
960 Posts
3" feathers with a hard helical will stabilze small fixed blade heads pretty well. I've never tried 3" vanes but I would make sure I put plenty of helical on them. If your bow is tuned right you shouldn't have a problem.

· Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Well The arrow total weight is about 401-404 grns I shoot a montec and I did not put a heli on them as I don't have the jig for it but I think I will be able to get at least 20 yards to day and mabee more on friday when I have more time. So I will let you all know how they fly with a straight flech. I just have not had any luck getting the blazers to stick like they shoud. It seamd as though the dura vanes will stick to any thing if just spit on them, But the blazers, Iam not sure I could get them to stick to any thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.