Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot this bear tonight (Sept. 2) at 7.22 PM. It was a sow (with no cubs) and when I first saw it I thought I would pass as I knew there is at least one very large bear hitting my bait. Then I saw it hobbling along and I realized it only had 3 legs; it was missing all but the shoulder on one of its front legs. I thought I better take it. Well it came into the bait and was really nervous, in fact she was going to leave without eating. As she turned I went into auto-pilot drew and put the pin right behind her shoulder, she stopped and I released. She was only 9 yards away, so I didn't see where I hit her, but she went about 30 yards and crashed. A few seconds latter she did her death moan (spooky but satisfying at the same time) and it was over. Turns out I got both lungs, entry about 1/2 way up and 2" behind the shoulder and exited just behind the arm pit and low. The only blood she left was the splatter around the arrow which was buried about a foot in the gound. I'm glad I didn't need blood to track! She weighed 184# and it is all cut up and on ice in 2 coolers. I will bone it out and butcher in the morning after church. Her leg is all healed up and it looks like she was living like this for quite a while. She was very fat and showed evidence of having cubs in the past. She must have been a tough old girl, it would be interesting to know the story of how she lost her leg. Good thing we have plety of bear rugs becuse she would make a strange looking rug with only 3 legs. Well, it was a lot of work, all "do it yourself" including the picture, (sorry about the bloody tongue, thats not too classy) but it was worth it for the good meat for my family and the adventure.

Attachments

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
Congrats on the tri-pod. I'm always amazed at these stories of how these animals can lose limbs and with no doctoring survive in the wild, that is of course until an arrow makes some holes in their lungs:wink:

What kind of BH were you using if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I guess MN doesn't have the right to Bear Arms. lol
Congrats on the bear, I got my first this year and it's addictive.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Nice bear! It is indeed truly amazing how some animals manage to survive some of the injuries that I have seen. A hunting buddy of mine killed a doe once that was running normaly with a group of deer during a drive. When we went to retrieve the doe we were shocked to see that it had been running on 4 stumps. 3 feet were completely missing and one hind foot was barely hanging on by skin and off to one side. All 4 of the stumps were completely healed.
I sure would like to know how this animal managed to survive and what happened.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Congrats on the bear.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
great bear

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I was Bear hunting in Nova Scotia one fall when a Bear came into the bait. Most of it's left front leg was gone and never touched the ground. Talk about some thudding when that bear was walking. I passed on it because it was smaller than I was looking for, but when I heard it coming I swore it sounded like a monster.;) I should have known better. The big ones always seem to have a away of popping up in front of you out of no where. Just like a mushroom:)

I assumed this Bear had lost that leg in a snare. Snaring is legal in Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Buksknr53 said:
Nice bear! It is indeed truly amazing how some animals manage to survive some of the injuries that I have seen. A hunting buddy of mine killed a doe once that was running normaly with a group of deer during a drive. When we went to retrieve the doe we were shocked to see that it had been running on 4 stumps. 3 feet were completely missing and one hind foot was barely hanging on by skin and off to one side. All 4 of the stumps were completely healed.
I sure would like to know how this animal managed to survive and what happened.
i do alot of farming, when we cut hay i have seen deer just stand there and not move and have actually cut them with the mower, most of thee time you dont even see the deer until the are already in the mower

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mn5503 said:
Congrats on the tri-pod. I'm always amazed at these stories of how these animals can lose limbs and with no doctoring survive in the wild, that is of course until an arrow makes some holes in their lungs:wink:

What kind of BH were you using if you don't mind me asking?
Magnus stinger 4-blade 10 grain. Seemed to work fine, same as the Muzzy heads I've used before. I broke two ribs and buried in the ground and I think I can just sharpen it up and use it again, I'll have to spin it first though. The lack of blood was not the fault of the head, its just that there was so much fat it couldn't get out. That is one of the tougher parts of bear hunting with a bow and arrow;shot selection is so important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts