Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the Trophy Ridge 5 pin with a TryGlo Range Rover single pin. That was an improvement. However, now the search was on to find the right color fiber optic for these 50yo+ eyes. Red, green, blue, yellow, purple; I even tried different colored LEDs in the light. Violet fiber optic with a white LED seemed to work the best for indoors and out. Then while at a 3D shoot I saw a Viper sight and really loved the .010 pin. By rough guestimations it appeared the Viper pin would bolt right in, so I ordered a blue .010 pin. It arrived the other day and sure enough it bolted right in but a bit of filing was needed to keep the fiber from getting pinched. Finished up the swap and sighted it in.
Whoa! Nice improvement!
Now at the same time of ordering the Viper pin, I also ordered a few different colored .010 fiber optics, knowing they might come in handy.
(fiberopticproducts.com)
So today a thought crossed my peabrain; those Viper pins sort of look like a piece of medical equipment I am familiar with; a hyperdermic needle. After scrounging through my junk drawer, a very long 20g needle was in hand. After taking a couple measurements, sure enough both tubes were within .002 of each other. Close enough. Can a small tube be bent and not collapse? Yep, especially surgical stainless steel, besides I've seen docs bend them before. I made up a brass block the same size at the original TruGlo pin and drilled a .030 hole for the new pin. After assembly, the .019 fiber optic from the original TruGlo pin slid right in. Then a thought hit, instead of trying to pick 1 color optic, what if all three .010 optics could fit in a single tube/pin.
Sure enough, all 3 of the new .010 fibers fit inside my new pin tube. So this might be the next new thing.
A single pin sight that works good in any light because the red green and blue fiber optic covers the visual spectrum.
So over the next few days, I will be playing with my new sight and see just how great it is.
But remember, you saw it here first.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like it. Wonder why no one has bothered to make one before now as a replacement option for their sights. Or fiber optic company making blue sleeved within red sleeved within yellow or something of the sort. Take a hood picture once you decide what you think of it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it. Wonder why no one has bothered to make one before now as a replacement option for their sights. Or fiber optic company making blue sleeved within red sleeved within yellow or something of the sort. Take a hood picture once you decide what you think of it.
I'm still in the process of posting photos taken during the build.
Check back.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Did a bit of shooting this a.m. Sun was over my Rt shoulder and shining directly on the pin. I don't think the fibers were out shining the sun but the top of the pin was easy to see. (probably a reflection off the end of the opening.) Stepping into tree shade the fibers did not seem to be as bright as I thought they should be. I suspected the fibers had broke. I tore it down and found all 3 fibers had been bent very sharply at the exit of the tube. You can see the bright spot right at the bend. I made some adjustments to reduce the sharp bend at the exit and put everybody back together. Went back out to finish sighting in and it was much better. What I was happy to see was the different colors showing up under different conditions; for example in bright sun, it looked white. That would be all 3 colors combined. Makes sense. Under the carport, red seemed to be brighter. And for me, color doesn't matter. I just want to be able to see the darn pin. The other thing I really noticed was the "6 dot halo" around the original .019 pin was absent. Before, regardless of color, when looking at the pin through my peep, I would see a center dot and around that would be 6 equally spaced, fainter dots the same size as the center dot. My only eye issues are related to age. (my arms are too short for reading a book, but I can see a Chipmunk scratching himself at 100yds)(and bust him at 50yds with iron sights) I have described this halo to other I've shot with and they express a similar effect. But with this 3-N-1 pin, I have yet to see that. Yea!
I will be taking a tiny paint brush and painting the pin flat black, asap. All that pretty shiny stainless and brass, border on distracting.
Other than that, I am very pleased with my "one of a kind".
Tints and shades Thumb Magenta Terrestrial plant Nail

·
Registered
981 Posts
I cannot see a .010 pin on it's own, but this idea of combining 3 different colors to transition between different light scenarios is spectacular.

Do you feel the three .010 fibers give you a light point about equal to a .019, or is it greater or smaller? Im guessing that the different light scenarios are going to change levels of intensity over the three fibers and give you a rather consistent point.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cannot see a .010 pin on it's own, but this idea of combining 3 different colors to transition between different light scenarios is spectacular.

Do you feel the three .010 fibers give you a light point about equal to a .019, or is it greater or smaller? Im guessing that the different light scenarios are going to change levels of intensity over the three fibers and give you a rather consistent point.
So as close as I can measure, the bore of the needle is .020-.021. A .019 fiber optic goes in with just a very tiny drag. The same is true with the Viper sight. I suspect thy use the same tube for .010 sights and .019 sights. They just install which ever size fiber you order.
The three .010 fibers together take a little more finesse to get them started, and they drag just a whisker more than the .019 fiber, but they still feed through. And I can slide them independently once they are through.
I do not melt the ends of the fiber. I leave them extended about 1/8" and when everything is buttoned up, I use fingernail clippers to trim all ends flush to the tube.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's almost 8pm EST in NE Ohio and the sun is just starting to drop into the tree tops. Standing under the carport the green fiber is predominant right now. If I walk into the woods it seem a bit more white, maybe a tad yellow.
Another one of my inventions was a replacement power supply for the TruGlo sight light, cause them button cell batteries are great for hearing aids but suck at powering LEDs. So I tore apart a AAA Mini Maglite and ran a couple wires to the LED. Now I have power to run that LED for days non stop and the batteries are cheap and easy to find. Photos included. The pic with the bow case foam background is the only one with the light turned on.
Photograph Light Water Plant Wheel

White Automotive tire Bicycle part Silver Jewellery

Photograph White Plant Automotive tire Gadget

Kitchen appliance Fluid Audio equipment Gas Auto part

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Version 2.0.
The current version was a straight up pin and the top end of the pin terminated right at the same plane as the hood edge facing the archer. I wanted the end to be set back from that face about 3/8", which is similar to the original pin. Once the R&D dept got busy on the goal, a prototype was soon in hand and it's a gem.
In the photo from top down:
First 3-N-1 pin.
Original.
3-N-1 pin 2.0.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You’re idea with using “filters” for different lighting is brilliant. Great job!
Thank you,
I get what you mean by "filter", but
I think "filters" might be a misnomer since these are light gathering fiber optics.
By design filters block whatever they are designed for.
Fiber optics gather light, but I've noticed different colored optics gather different amounts of the available light.
And by having 3 different ones, I'm taking advantage of that.
I really noticed this with my original 5 pin. Depending on the light one of the 5 would be brighter than the others. Problem was, it may not be the pin I needed to use.
I do think it is a sweet improvement, I'm just kinda surprised that no one has taken me up on my free offer for one. (See my other 3-N-1 post).

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Thank you,
I get what you mean by "filter", but
I think "filters" might be a misnomer since these are light gathering fiber optics.
By design filters block whatever they are designed for.
Fiber optics gather light, but I've noticed different colored optics gather different amounts of the available light.
And by having 3 different ones, I'm taking advantage of that.
I really noticed this with my original 5 pin. Depending on the light one of the 5 would be brighter than the others. Problem was, it may not be the pin I needed to use.
I do think it is a sweet improvement, I'm just kinda surprised that no one has taken me up on my free offer for one. (See my other 3-N-1 post).
That looks like a nice solution. I've sometimes thought of devising longer fiber optic pins systems to give better pin visibility in low light, but hats off to you for actually creating your own DIY solution.

As my eyes passed 50, I started using more .029 pins. A lot of people think: "Oh, no! You're gonna block your targets with those big pins!"
What I've found though, is the stock Spot Hogg .029 size pins are so translucent, I can see my X-ring or small patch of fur, right through the center of the pins. I'm 61, now, and very far-sighted, so this still works for me, without glasses, magnification or clarifiers. My next phase may be to use much longer .029 fiber optic strands, extending through protective tubes outside my sight housing coils.

I've found yellow and orange pins to be brightest near dusk when hunting, without any sight lights. Green would be 3rd. Red can go darkest.
But I'm just talking about stock fiberoptics. There may be much better aftermarket strands available.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks like a nice solution. I've sometimes thought of devising longer fiber optic pins systems to give better pin visibility in low light, but hats off to you for actually creating your own DIY solution.

As my eyes passed 50, I started using more .029 pins. A lot of people think: "Oh, no! You're gonna block your targets with those big pins!"
What I've found though, is the stock Spot Hogg .029 size pins are so translucent, I can see my X-ring or small patch of fur, right through the center of the pins. I'm 61, now, and very far-sighted, so this still works for me, without glasses, magnification or clarifiers. My next phase may be to use much longer .029 fiber optic strands, extending through protective tubes outside my sight housing coils.

I've found yellow and orange pins to be brightest near dusk when hunting, without any sight lights. Green would be 3rd. Red can go darkest.
But I'm just talking about stock fiberoptics. There may be much better aftermarket strands available.
www.fiberopticproducts.com has a huge variety to chose from and they are inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts