Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious as to how many out there have gone back to real feathers instead of vanes. I glued up some ACC pro hunters with some 4" Easton feathers this past weekend and i am itching to try them out with Broadheads. So i am wondering if there much difference between the 4" and 3" i may want to drop down to the 3's

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Been shooting feathers for 25yrs with no problems. I did try the Blazers briefly when they first came out but quickly went back to feathers and don't see any reason to shoot anything else. I have been toying around with the ideal of trying the Razors but just haven't took the time to do it yet. Oh yeah, i shoot 4".

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
true flight 4'' shielded for me. just re fletched my hunting arrows over the weekend

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Pros and cons for both but I like my 5" feathers, I'm using Gateway right now.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Five inch shield cut and if a deer can hear the feathers coming at 'im,then I must be either killing deaf or dumb bucks.:wink:

·
The Impartial Archer
18,339 Posts
I really like feathers but I'm to OCD to use em'.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
3" feathers outta the compound and 4" outta the recurve with no issues. If you powder them 2 or 3 times throughout the season rain is no issue, one powdering lasted the whole season last year for me, and il let ya know the next time I have a deer jump my "feather noise".

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I tried Blazers and switched back & forth several times before ending up back where I started with feathers.
I think feathers are more forgiving and this is amplified with larger fixed heads.
Feathers are lighter and that increases my FOC. On my Axis FMJ shafts with a 125 gr. tip I have 10% FOC with 4'' feathers and a wrap; I'm not willing to go below 10% or give up the wrap.
Feathers may not be perfect, but they continue to offer the best of what I'm after.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
people really use plastic vanes?

the only animal i ever shot without a feather was the very first one ,, since then nothing but feathers,, a bad feather will still fly true, a bad vane, is well.. bad.... feathers can be sprayed with silicone spray and are very much water proof... as far as the noise,,, i have on multiple occasions ben able to be down range when arrows were shot from 10-50 yards and the target was 5 yards past me,,, if you ears are good you can here all of them under the calm conditions of an indoor range,, however my experiance showed that vanes started out louder and if they had a wrinkle or minor imperfection they only got louder as they came down range.. the feathers reguardless of condition were quieter, until you went to shield cut they were a little louder than a perfect vane , but not a lot... after 30 plus bow kills i have yet to have an animal duck a feather..... feathers do control broadheads better,, they are lighter, giving the bonus of a slighly increased foc... and they just plain look better than plastic

4 inch feathers rule,, parabolic handle most chores perfectly,, if i shoot a bow with a low brace height i use 3" shield cut

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I was toying around with the Blazers recently but they are just not for me yet. Back to my 4" hard RH Gateways.

One must evaluate wheather they are a foul weather hunter. Many prepare for wet weather by using vanes but dont hunt in the rain anyways. Before you make the call, try shooting a soaked arrow anyways. You may find that you do not need any water proofing at all.

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
Feathers is were it is at!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't worry about the noise during the shot. It's when my clumsy butt brushes against them in the quiver, or in the tree, etc... I know that they shoot better, and that is what I shoot for spots, and out of my recurve. I just don't anymore from my compound hunting set up.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
I shoot the 4" feathers from gateway, hard right helical. I did a test on some broadheads that didn't spin true at all out of the package. (won't say which brand) They had a lot of wobble, and the 4" vanes and the standard blazers wouldn't steer the broadhead whatsoever. Shot the same broadhead with a 4" feather and it hit right with my FP's shot after shot. This is all with the same setup, same type of arrow, perfectly tuned bow, etc. I'm a believer in the feathers for the best steering of broadheads, and even the ones that don't spin test quite as true as they should. JMO

·
Catty Shack
12,347 Posts
I'm wondering why the need for 3" - 4" feathers? I used Rayrs for as long as they've been avaialble with no issues whatsoever. I just switched to 2" Trueflight fletched with the Bohning Helical jig - now these have a serious helical to them . . .

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
I shoot both 4" feathers and 4" vanes. Flip a coin, they both work good. I like the looks of feathers though so most my arrows have them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts