Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those guys who shoot a thumb release or back tension, how did you decide between a 3 finger or 4 finger. I shoot a 4 finger Stan but I never got the chance to play with anything and just went with a 4 finger. I know most people are gonna say shoot whatever's comfortable. But I've noticed more pro's shoot 3 finger releases instead of 4. Is there a prominent reason for this?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I feel like I have more control with a four finger, tried a 3 finger whipper snapper, didn't like it.
Been using a stan shootoff Quattro and love it

·
Socket Man
24,257 Posts
I have shot many releases in the two three and four finger versions and what I find is that the more fingers on the release the slower the release fires and the more deliberate your firing engine must be. Two finger releases are just really easy to fire and rotate but they cause me to float on the target bigger, 4 finger are harder to fire but you feel more solid at anchor and strong and float less. Three finger releases are just a nice balance between the two.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I shoot a 3 finger. If anyone tells you what "YOU" should shoot on this one they are lost. This one is 100% personal preference. They are both good, shoot them both and see what you like best.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
bugle's right.....there's no telling what will work best for someone until they try both.
there is eveidence that a four finger will help a guy that has a somewhat timid or weak release execution, because the addition of the outside finger, helps to initiate the movement that fires the release, but you have to find that out by yourself, by evaluating how much effort you have to put into getting the release to fire....only you can make that decision for yourself.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will taking my pinky off of my 4 finger make it act just like a 3 finger would? Or are they two different animals?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have a Stan Shooroff four finger and a Stan SX2 three finger which is pretty much the same thing and I really cannot tell the difference between them. I just grab one and go.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
i have shot higher scores with a 4- finger,had my hand go to sleep with 2-finger releases i really like the three finger best ,this year i am shooting a 3-finger honey 2 by carter it seems to work well.but whatever release you prefer is best as long as its a hinge a true back tension release. good luck

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I have been jumping back and forth. 3 finger seems to shoot easier for me. Truball has several releases that you can change part out to make 2,3,4 finger release. It's a less expensive route than buying a ton of releases

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I started with a 4 because it felt like I had more control. Been shooting it for years. It may be time to try a 3. I've experimented with just about everything else.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I shoot a Carter Insatiable+ 4 finger. I feel I have more control during the actual draw. Once at anchor, my pinky drifts off the release so I am basically only using 3 fingers. I find that when all 4 fingers are in the release at the shot, I tend to grab harder on the release, instead of relaxing, and this leads to me over torquing the release on the shot (if that makes any sense).

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have both a 3 and 4 finger Stan Shootoff. On the 3 finger there is a recess where the pinky can rest. I have both because of those days when I think, "I wonder if i would shoot better with a 4 finger".

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,523 Posts
I've spent quite a bit of time with both 3 and 4 finger. Ended up concluding I like 3 better. I feel like I get a more solid hold with 3 and less likely to over-rotate into trigger with pinky pressure. But that's just me - very personal and you almost have to spend the money to try both out for a sufficient period of time before you can make a solid determination.

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
It really is a matter of personal preference. Some who are saying one type is faster or slower or more or less stable are relating their individual results, your results will be different. I shot both three and four finger before deciding, the four finger felt better, easier to pull, more stable, more control for me so I went to four finger and sold the three finger release I was trying out.

You can get somewhat of an idea as to what a three finger will feel like by extending your pinky or curling it behind your four finger release, but only somewhat. If doing so seems to feel good then spend the dough and actually try out a three finger.

Three finger vs. four finger; one is not better or worse than the other it is only what you like and what you do best with. There is likely more difference between the brands of thumb releases than there is between using three or four fingers. Hard to beat Carter thumb releases, but we all have our preferences.

If you are using a four finger now and it feels good, but you still want to experiment you may be better off to try a different brand vs. a three finger. But hey, isn't that some of the fun of archery fine tuning and honing your skills by trying different things?

·
Banned
1,785 Posts
Some people go with the 4 finger simply because they do not know what to do with the pinky finger , other people go with a 3 finger because they do not know what to do with the pinky finger.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,726 Posts
Some people go with the 4 finger simply because they do not know what to do with the pinky finger , other people go with a 3 finger because they do not know what to do with the pinky finger.
Them dumbies! They're supposed hold it out like the upper class manner to drink from a tea cup ;)

Busted my pinky finger years back. Surgery and pinned it still didn't heal right and wants to overlap my ring finger. So I use a 3 finger ST360 and the dang little finger sometimes will catch the end of the handle. I have a 4 finger ST360 and I get the finger to behave the release is easier and smoother and for me this is too fast and I have set as heavy as I can. Accuracy with either ranges as usual, excellent, good, so-so, bad and Can't hit a barn standing on the inside.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have shot many releases in the two three and four finger versions and what I find is that the more fingers on the release the slower the release fires and the more deliberate your firing engine must be. Two finger releases are just really easy to fire and rotate but they cause me to float on the target bigger, 4 finger are harder to fire but you feel more solid at anchor and strong and float less. Three finger releases are just a nice balance between the two.
What he said

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
I don't get what you mean by four finger being harder to fire. That is not what I experienced. But again, it is up to the individual and what works for each of us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts