Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got in a grayling fletching jig and it came with the option to do 3 or 4 vanes. What do you guys recommend. Pros and cons of both please.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone

·
Traditonal by Choice
1,112 Posts
I want to know also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think he means size, i believe he is referring to number of vanes... I could be wrong though
You are correct. number of vanes not length

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
if your bh has 4 blades then 4 vanes and same for 3 blades ,3 vanes, if your arrow is set right your vanes should follow the path through with minimal speed lose.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just trying to figure if the added weight has any plus side

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
if your bh has 4 blades then 4 vanes and same for 3 blades ,3 vanes, if your arrow is set right your vanes should follow the path through with minimal speed lose.
Not true, BH's have no effect on the vanes as they are too far apart

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
i dont know the ibo of your bow, but if your bows ibo is over 330 , then you wont lose as much speed, and your kinetic will definetly increase, fow bows around 315 and your draw weight, youll beginning to affect your speed enough to change the trajectory of the arrow, and the kinetic energy will only slightly improve over 3 vanes. hope this helps. 4 vanes and 125 grain bhs will definetly pack a whallop in any bow with higher ibos.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so will my accuracy get a bit better from the 4 vanes?

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
the arrow quits spinning when it hits the meat, the vanes follow the direct path is the path of less resistance, and aids in passthrough in bows that dont have alot of energy or they can stop it short.

·
Back down to ground level
16,326 Posts
I tried 4 with 2" feathers. Compared them over and over against 3, same set-up, and found no reason to spend the extra $ on a fourth.
Maybe for flu-flu's, a fourth would slow the arrow faster, but I don't shoot them, so I really don't know.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried 4 with 2" feathers. Compared them over and over against 3, same set-up, and found no reason to spend the extra $ on a fourth.
Maybe for flu-flu's, a fourth would slow the arrow faster, but I don't shoot them, so I really don't know.
Thanks a bunch just what i needed to hear,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts