Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using website recommended techniques I learning my draw length is around 30".
I'm 6'-2". but NOT square since my wingspan is 76". (yup, a real knuckle dragger). I'llget measured by a pro soon.
Before I search out a shop for some advice, I'd really love to hear some varied opionins here:

1.) Will I be best siuted with a bow made for my long draw or will a stacked 28" standard do just fine? Or will I be ok to learn on a 28" and when seasoned drop the big $ on a custom longer draw?

2.) There are 1000 different woods/laminates and styles of longbows. ANy general opinions on the variations. Like "this wood is stiff" or "this is forgiving"
I presume I'm just gong to have to try many after I get practiced.

If there are redundant threads (I'm not seeing them) feel free to link.

Any tips, much appreciated. TY
Eddie :wave:

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Eddie,I remember a few threads about new apes lol.. Having a long draw myself I'm just over an inch taller than you and pull 30 so your not that bad..

Longbows are for the most part a bit better about stacking then recurves and if you went with a light weight LB as your first one. Say around 30 pounds give or take at your draw would be best.. Shoot a light one to get your form down pat and then try some bows and see what you like. By the way where are you located.... Randy

·
Registered
20,754 Posts
Eddie -

A couple of misconceptions going on there buddy.

Most bow are weighed ay 28", some will stack around that draw length and others won't. Generally the longer the bow the less chance of stacking, but no guarantees.

Your first bow needs to be a training bow - period. Biggest issue with be the weight. Being a 'knuckle-dragger", a bow marked 40# at 28" may be well over 50# at your actual draw length.

You'd like to think that a custom bow made to your draw length won't stack, but things happen. I've seen custom and production bows marked at 28" stack well before that.

I'd forget the custom wood/lamination thing right now. Sure, some woods are stiffer than others and "may" perform better, but except for extreme cases the difference is minimal and secondary to bow design.

Right now, get a better idea about your draw length and thing about something UNDER 40# (under 35# would be better) AT YOUR DRAW LENGTH.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I gotta long draw as well, but I had to grow more to get it. I would get a 35-40# bow and would really look for a one peice bow that is at least 62 inches. my first "modern" bow was a ben pearson cougar marked [email protected] great start up bow and rabbit/squrriel terrorist machine. never under estimate small game. alot more fun to shoot at than straw and a bit tastier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Startup questions pretty much covered! Thanks a ton guys!
I'm an engineerish tch geek, I could go on for days asking you guys about every detail....but I've learned from experience to just shadup and get to work. Heh. TY TY

The only Q from above I would have.....
.....difference is minimal and secondary to bow design.
You mean, reflex/deflex, limb cross section shape, etc.....?

Again, TY TY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts