Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting decently at 90m,70m, and 50m. I seem to have a problem at 30m. You may not win a lot of shoots at 30m, but you definitely can lose them. Is it because I'm not concentrating enough at this short distance? Is the gold too big? Have others had problems shooting this distance? If so what if anything have you done to overcome this mental collapse. Any suggestions would be great. It's not due to fatigue because I went out today and that was the first distance I shot in practice and still no luck.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Ditto. I'll be watching for responses with interest.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have that problem too somtimes and I think more than anything it is because we are thinking that the gold is the center, which it is...but I catch myself letting my pin drift all throughout the gold center instead of in the center. So in short my advice would be to aim for the CENTER OF THE CENTER OF THE CENTER!!!! Don't just think "If I hit the gold I am good"...hit the center of the gold!!!:thumbs_up Hope this helps some...maybe others will answer

Lee

·
Registered
545 Posts
I too had the same problem.When I dropped from 42# to 37# because of shoulder problems. If I tuned & sighted at 70m, 50 & 90 M were OK BUT 30m was off. If I tuned & sighted at 30M everything else was off. I found that if I did my inital setup at 70M the only way I could get things to work at 30M was to develop a different sight picture. Once I figured this out and got used to it my 30M scores improved greatly. I use this same sight picture for 18M also. I think in my case it has somthing to do with arrow recovery from either a bad release or center shot. I have resolved the problem for myself, probably not the best way, but it works for me.

Fritz

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I found the key to 30m is in the minds eye. At the longer distances, you don't expect to hit 10's every arrow. You can relax and shoot your program more easily.

At 30m we are expecting 10's. We need 10's on every arrow. Our game changes from our program to aiming. Tension creeps in and we start to get jumpy and don't move smoothly through the clicker.

The key is to free up the shoulder and neck muscles. Relax and go back to your steps. Stop the aiming. Stop the go, no go routine and get back to smoothly expanding through the clicker.

I had the misfortune of setting my sight at 2.2 instead of 3.2 on my first arrow at 30m in the first FITA at US Nationals. Nothing like thowing away 10 points to get you to relax and go back to your program. With that out of the way, I only missed 5 more points the rest of the round. It really is amazing how smoothly you can shoot when the game is changed.

Cheers,
Pete

·
Genesis 21:20
21,665 Posts
Pete is right. The mental "game" changes a bit at 30. I liken it to an indoor mentality where you're hunting x's instead of gold.

That is some fine shooting btw Pete. Next time, let me loan you a pencil so you can put a mark on that sight ;)

John.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents to Pete and John's excellent points.

I found that I really had to return my focus to shot execution. My temptation was to start expecting 28-30 scores and then waste time searching for a perfect hold and scoring my shots instead of shooting them. For me, the solution is to remind myself that good execution will beget good scores, and return my attention to the process.

I also narrow my focus to a smaller area than the other distances. The apparent target size is the biggest @ 30m when looked at through the sight, so the acceptable sight wobble must take this into account. If, for example, I accept 7/8 ring @ 90m, 8/9 @ 70m and 50m, then I make the maximum acceptable wobble zone 9/10 ring @ 30m. Keep in mind that I don't shoot the scores Pete and John shoot. :wink:

·
Genesis 21:20
21,665 Posts
Keep in mind that I don't shoot the scores Pete and John shoot.
Well, maybe Pete. I'd dare say he's far ahead of me these days. At my best, I was a 350 30M shooter. I too never felt like my scores at 30 were what they should be.

But when you're talking about improving 4-5 points at one distance (30M) vs. the importance of finding 15-20 points at another, arguably more important distance (70M), then the motivation for spending more time practicing and tuning for 30 meters just isn't there. At least, it never was for me.

John.

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Pete's right=at 90 you are shooting to hit tens-same at 50 especially but at 30 most of us are shooting not to miss.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yup, my long distance scores have way more room for improvement vs 30m, that's for sure. I figure that when I shoot 340's at 70m, the 30m scores will naturally improve a few points.

Hadn't considered the "don't miss" syndrome, but I can see it would be easy to do so given that the 10 ring is proportionately as big as it gets.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have also experienced the same 30m blues, my problem was the it was "to much gold". Since I shoot compound the magnification made for a huge gold and I was having trouble aiming for the "center". I solved the problem by changing my aperture for 30m from having a large beiter "dot" on all the other distances I opted for the beiter fiberrod which is only approx 1mm in diameter. This enabled me to see the tenring and thus enabling me to aim inside the tenring. this improved my confidence while shooting and subsequently my scores ;)

My 0.02$ on the matter *LOL*

Magnus

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It is....

Expectation.

You have much more expectation at thirty and it changes you.

This type of expectation is deep seeded.
You must truly believe in your own shot sequence and your shot, when you do you will relax and allow your shot to take over . you will shoot your shot nothing more nothing less. When this happens you will certainly attain what you are capable of in terms of score.

It is not more complicated or harder than this, but by no means is it an easy thing to overcome.

Knowing that you are a good shot and having confidence in your shot knowing they will go where you want them to ,without that little extra effort that always seems to come into play when expectation is high, is a good place to start.

good luck

Joe lorenti

1 - 12 of 12 Posts