Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Hoyt RX-4 Alpha. Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL QAD HDX rest. Easton Axis arrows. Camo: Realtree Edge
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall,
i am trying to find a no bullsh*t hands down bow that will shoot a 475 grain arrow over 300 fps. My specs are 29" draw and i pull 70 or 80#. the ones i think that will do it are the bowtech sr6 and pse xpedite. any advice will be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
hey yall,
i am trying to find a no bullsh*t hands down bow that will shoot a 475 grain arrow over 300 fps. My specs are 29" draw and i pull 70 or 80#. the ones i think that will do it are the bowtech sr6 and pse xpedite. any advice will be appreciated. thanks!
If you are shooting 70#, you're gonna need a 370 IBO bow to get there.... A PSE Full Throttle comes to mind. APA King Cobra is rated similarly to this speed but I don't have any experience with that bow to say if the ratings are even close to accurate.

If you are comfortable shooting 80# an Xpedite might get you there with LL mods. There are a couple other 350+ rated bows that might get you there at 80# too....

Are you getting ready for a Giraffe hunt or something?

·
Registered
319 Posts
APA King Cobra with 90 pound limbs might be the answer.

It's one ugly bow, but with that speed who cares, it will be a crowd pleaser for sure.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
hey yall,
I think an Xpedite, with FL mods, and a few pounds over 70 would be very close. Definitely the most reasonable option for a decent draw cycle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Duplicate

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
I think an Xpedite, with FL mods, and a few pounds over 70 would be very close. Definitely the most reasonable option for a decent draw cycle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This right here. 70# Xpedite, cable and strings twisted up a bit to get 74# or so with the FL mods and you will be right there and have the nicest draw out of any of the bows that will get you in that ballpark. That said my revolt at 27.5" 72# shoots a 498grain arrow at around 265. Add 15 fps for the draw length and another 7 for the arrow weight and you will be close to 290. My SR6 was only like 5 fps faster and the draw on the RevoltX is nicer at 29" IMHO.

·
Registered
51,110 Posts
Why??? Bragging rights???? Gain from say 280 to 300 is hugely minor IMHO. The faster it gets the harder it is to control the shot, again IMHO.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
Why??? Bragging rights???? Gain from say 280 to 300 is hugely minor IMHO. The faster it gets the harder it is to control the shot, again IMHO.
That's what I thought but there is one more.......many people are convinced there is some magic that happens at 300FPS......it's a secret club with a secret handshake and all. It's something you will never understand if you shoot 295 FPS..........lol

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
That's what I thought but there is one more.......many people are convinced there is some magic that happens at 300FPS......it's a secret club with a secret handshake and all. It's something you will never understand if you shoot 295 FPS..........lol
Just think..........I was thrilled when they made a bow that shot 200fps........a "speed bow" with overdraw.......but I am old.

Now I would guess I shoot about 250fps. It's just a guess, I have chron'd a bow since 1983.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
OP, my 2015 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo at 70lbs and a draw length of 29.5" was pushing my 465 grain arrow at 306fps. Only 10 grains less than your arrow. I would think the RX4 Turbo would be very close.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Elite option 6 or 7 or impulse 34 will do it at 80 lbs at 70 it will be dang close

·
Full Time Novice
7,364 Posts
When i put 80# limbs on one FL mods 28" 83# 505 grain arrow at 306 fps PSEexpedite

The SR6 is not a fast bow and left me unimpressed at my draw legnth. It came under like 13 fps

401 grain arrow shot 291 was suppose to be shooting 307 fps yes the bow was in performance
550 grain arrow shot 252 was suppose to be shooting 272 fps yes the bow was in performance

Don't just focus on IBO but also pay attention to bows effeciency. Most cams I am typically stuck in the middle or very front of the cam unless i go with something like Hoyt in a #2 cam

80# Black 5 will put those number out if im not mistaken ill have to check my numbers

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
hey yall,
This is an honest question. Why do you need to shoot an arrow that fast?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I don't have any reason to have to shoot an arrow that fast. So my question still stands? Why do you need to shoot an arrow that fast?

·
OnTheWayOut
2,917 Posts
I sold, set up and tuned a 2018 Obsession Fix6xp at 28.5/83/498grains @320fps. Very very doable at your specs. And without having to go to a 5" BH

·
Registered
837 Posts
With what you are wanting, you better have perfect form, make a perfect release everytime and bow tuned better than you have ever tuned a bow if you will be shooting fixed broad heads. At speeds like that broad head flight becomes very finicky. Plate sized groups at 30 yards while standing on flat ground in 80 degree weather sipping on ice tea in the back yard is a different part than drawing that 75-80# bow and not be in perfect posture in a 20 foot stand holding at full draw for 30-45 seconds with a chilled body and the heart pumping 140 bmp. When you get it right , climb a tree and sit down and try to draw smoothly and make a kill shot at 35 yards. Might just change your mind. If it’s for $&@“ and giggles , then by all means.

·
Registered
24,082 Posts
The beauty of archery is that you can pursue any aspect that you personally desire. If it is speed, there are ways to achieve that goal.....but arrow weight is often the linchpin. Getting to the magical 300fps through a reliable chrono is somewhat like getting the gas mileage on the window sticker of your new car......it is finicky and "your mileage may vary".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts