Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews V3 31" @ 66lbs @ 30" DL, apparently.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Is 300 spine okay for 65 pounds 29" draw on Mathews V3 and 15.5-16% FOC and 460 odd grain? 28" arrow length.

Cheers

·
Registered
51,133 Posts
If it works then yes. But I think it is a bit stiff. I would have done a 340.

·
Registered
458 Posts
To get that kind of FOC and total arrow weight on a calculator I had to go with 60 grains of insert weight with a 125 grain head (give or take between the insert and head). Assumed an 8.9 GPI for the arrow shaft, 21 grains of vane weight, no wrap, and a 10 grain nock. All that weight up front puts you right on the edge of a 340 / 300. I think you'll get either one to tune just fine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
YES.....I build Black Eagle Outlaws with the 100 grain insert in .300 spine 28" with a nocturnal nock for a 65# bow one of my sons shoots. They come out around 476 I think and just over 16% Foc. I build the same thing in 340 spine for me to shoot at 55lbs. SImple arrow that just works good. Sometimes use Victory V force .245 gamer arrows like them to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool beans.
Yes, it's a 60 grain insert. 125 grain head. 18 grains vanes, 4 grain wrap.

Would I need to go four fletch for that kind of weight or is three Blazers going to be sweet?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
3 Blazers always works for me--at least 3° helical. Your arrow should work great.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I shoot a .337 spine / 515 grain / 18-19% FOC arrow out of a 60# bow, 28.25" length, 29" DL. You should be fine with a .300 spine. I use 100 grain tips for availability, 100 grain inserts w/20 grains of FACT up front, 4" wrap and 3 Blazers. I tried 4 fletch years ago and could not tell the difference in shooting. When the itch to retry a 4 fletch comes up, I just think about how my bare shafts group with my field tip fletched arrows and the thought goes away.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Should work great, IMO.

Reactions: 356Brutus

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shoot a .337 spine / 515 grain / 18-19% FOC arrow out of a 60# bow, 28.25" length, 29" DL. You should be fine with a .300 spine. I use 100 grain tips for availability, 100 grain inserts w/20 grains of FACT up front, 4" wrap and 3 Blazers. I tried 4 fletch years ago and could not tell the difference in shooting. When the itch to retry a 4 fletch comes up, I just think about how my bare shafts group with my field tip fletched arrows and the thought goes away.
My bow is at 66 pounds and apparently a 30" DL as that looked good?
Arrow length is 27.5" (how are these numbers working?) And I want to run 60 grain inserts with 150 grain heads with three Blazers or Max Stealths and a wrap down the back.

Will the spine be enough for this? I'm worried not! But 250 spines in light arrows are expensive AF.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cool beans.
Yes, it's a 60 grain insert. 125 grain head. 18 grains vanes, 4 grain wrap.

Would I need to go four fletch for that kind of weight or is three Blazers going to be sweet?
My arrow on V3
300 spine BE Carnivore 29.875"
60gr stainless insert
125gr point
3x Blazer in right helical
Nockturnal
Totals around 490gr and because of heavy ass disco light, foc only about 13.5% or so.
Tunes perfectly at 70# but works down to 60# as well.

My next build will not have Blazers though. Probably Flexfletch or vanetec with low profile and 2.5-3" legth. Blazer stabilises well but is loud in flight.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My arrow on V3
300 spine BE Carnivore 29.875"
60gr stainless insert
125gr point
3x Blazer in right helical
Nockturnal
Totals around 490gr and because of heavy ass disco light, foc only about 13.5% or so.
Tunes perfectly at 70# but works down to 60# as well.

My next build will not have Blazers though. Probably Flexfletch or vanetec with low profile and 2.5-3" legth. Blazer stabilises well but is loud in flight.
So is my build sweet? The most recent one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Arrow length is 27.5" (how are these numbers working?) And I want to run 60 grain inserts with 150 grain heads with three Blazers or Max Stealths and a wrap down the back.

Will the spine be enough for this? I'm worried not! But 250 spines in light arrows are expensive AF.
If you mean this build, MEASURE TWICE before you cut the arrows. V3 31 with 70# B-mod is 30.5" DL to front of riser, NOT 30 as it should be. 29.875 carbon to carbon and QAD Exodus blades are already well inside the shelf at full draw with so called 30" DL mods. If you want to run the shaft as short as possible, you need 0.5" in front of the rest just to be safe but 27.5" is pushing it. Arrow length is determined either nock to insert for ready arrow or carbon to carbon for cutting the shaft. As said, B-mods on V3 31 and 29 7/8" carbon to carbon shaft has blades already inside the shelf. Concious risk of cutting fingers there too.

I was mentally prepared to buying new arrows when I got the 70# mods but to my surprise the bow tuned very easily and doesn't seem to be too sensitive even. Did broadhead tuning at 40m distance and had to move the rest maybe 1/32" sideways.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you mean this build, MEASURE TWICE before you cut the arrows. V3 31 with 70# B-mod is 30.5" DL to front of riser, NOT 30 as it should be. 29.875 carbon to carbon and QAD Exodus blades are already well inside the shelf at full draw with so called 30" DL mods. If you want to run the shaft as short as possible, you need 0.5" in front of the rest just to be safe but 27.5" is pushing it. Arrow length is determined either nock to insert for ready arrow or carbon to carbon for cutting the shaft. As said, B-mods on V3 31 and 29 7/8" carbon to carbon shaft has blades already inside the shelf. Concious risk of cutting fingers there too.

I was mentally prepared to buying new arrows when I got the 70# mods but to my surprise the bow tuned very easily and doesn't seem to be too sensitive even. Did broadhead tuning at 40m distance and had to move the rest maybe 1/32" sideways.
Lol, yes. Measure twice. But is the spine enough for the above specs? That's what I'm most concerned about.

Currently 70.5cm from the insert lip to end of shaft. I think I'll keep my fingers but yes, it's as short as you'd go but, I'm taking it all somewhere tomorrow to really make sure.

So, have I got a bigger draw length all of a sudden? What's going on here with the Mathews bows and DL?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Lol, yes. Measure twice. But is the spine enough for the above specs? That's what I'm most concerned about.

Currently 70.5cm from the insert lip to end of shaft. I think I'll keep my fingers but yes, it's as short as you'd go but, I'm taking it all somewhere tomorrow to really make sure.

So, have I got a bigger draw length all of a sudden? What's going on here with the Mathews bows and DL?
Apparently the draw being 0.5" long isn't anything new in Mathews. My dealer told me about it and measuring the draw last time I had the bow on draw board confirmed it. In the end what matters is that the bow fits you.

From my experience 300 spine will be enough.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Apparently the draw being 0.5" long isn't anything new in Mathews. My dealer told me about it and measuring the draw last time I had the bow on draw board confirmed it. In the end what matters is that the bow fits you.

From my experience 300 spine will be enough.
Thanks bro. 👍

·
Registered
3,774 Posts

Chilli, You should be fine with that set-up and .300 spine arrows. But, a 27.5" shaft and a 30" DL? You must be shooting an overdraw or have a long footer. I shoot 28.25" w/ a 29" DL, wish my arrows were a little longer but are a throw back from when I got my first compound and they errored and measured me at a 28" DL. I must have had 3 doz. arrows by the time I got my second bow and was measured correctly to my surprise. What a difference it made to my shooting not to be bunched up. I don't remember seeing what bow you are shooting. You can see mine in my signature. The DNA used to be a 352 IBO Bow but I switched the cams so it is most likely in the 340 range now, but don't know and don't care much. The more aggressive the cam, the more spine you might need. However, I think it's just a small effect compared to arrow length, bow poundage, and front vs. rear shaft weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts