Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
In general 300 fps will be dropping 1.4 inches per yard 340 will be dropping 1.2 inches per yard at 35 yards.

·
Registered
455 Posts
with the same weight arrow it will be noticably flatter sooting both at 35 with a twenty yard pin the 340 would probably drop about three inches less

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, theres a bit of a difference in two answers but arrow weight may be the culprit there. My fault for not giving a specific arrow weight for the equation.
Given a 400 grain arrow for both, using a 20 yard pin, how much drop to 35 yards?
I'm considering weather I want to even bother trying one of the newer fast bows as compared to what I'm now shooting, if there is a forgiveness factor worth it. Thanyou for replying.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
20-30yds will show no difference. I had my site setup on my HF6 setup for 20-30 and it was shooting 340fps. I did not move the pins and im shooting that sight on my Omen at 287fps. The pins are almost touching and that gap was perfect for a 340fps setup, and a 287fps setup.

THe difference between the setups, and the reason the omen is the same I believe is b/c the Omen is shooting 530gr. arrows whereas the 6 was shooting 350gr. arrows...

Lots more momentum/carrying weight in the omen setup so it sheds its ke slower, thus the speed decrease is slower...

Derek

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My setup showed a 3" difference at 30 yds from 300 to 340fps. Not a whole lot, but it is a change when using the ballistics calculator.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
yeah but its 11" at 50

thats pretty big for 3D events, speed really does help

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Where you really see the fall off in balistics is beyond 35 yards. If you never shoot farther than that then you can shoot almost any arrow accurately. The thing about shots past 35 yards is how fast those momentum sustaining arrows hit the dirt. IMO you loose very little by going light. If I wanted to shoot those rainbow shots I would still be using a long bow @ 170 FPS & 500+ grain arrows. Thats JMO though.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If that site is correct I see no reason to change. There's only a 1" diff at 35.
I plugged in 2" vanes @.5 high
30"
.300 diameter
400 grains
Then 300 & 340

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Where you really see the fall off in balistics is beyond 35 yards. If you never shoot farther than that then you can shoot almost any arrow accurately. The thing about shots past 35 yards is how fast those momentum sustaining arrows hit the dirt. IMO you loose very little by going light. If I wanted to shoot those rainbow shots I would still be using a long bow @ 170 FPS & 500+ grain arrows. Thats JMO though.
Yes I agree. Im shooting those heavy arrows b/c they are plentiful. Id be shooting light arrows if I didnt have so many heavy ones. Plus, 95#'s of KE is pretty sweet:darkbeer:

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Yes I agree. Im shooting those heavy arrows b/c they are plentiful. Id be shooting light arrows if I didnt have so many heavy ones. Plus, 95#'s of KE is pretty sweet:darkbeer:
Agreed. I am hitting 96+KE shooting a 376 grain shaft. I could go heavier but there are no Cape Buffalo in Arkansas.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Agreed. I am hitting 96+KE shooting a 376 grain shaft. I could go heavier but there are no Cape Buffalo in Arkansas.
Thats why im only shooting 66#'s haha and still getting 287... Id say if i cranked her up to max (73) I could easily shoot those big nasty arrows at 300fps but hell whats the need...

I shot a doe yesterday at 49yards with no issues in the speed or KE department;)

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Thats why im only shooting 66#'s haha and still getting 287... Id say if i cranked her up to max (73) I could easily shoot those big nasty arrows at 300fps but hell whats the need...

I shot a doe yesterday at 49yards with no issues in the speed or KE department;)
If you getting 95 KE while shooting 66 pounds at 287 FPS I would like to know your arrow weight. I'm no rocket scientist but that does not add up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I played with the numbers in OnTarget2 and got a 5" difference in impact at 35 yards

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would love to know what your arrow weight is as well. I am shooting 60# 31" draw bow with a 475 total grain weight arrow at 287 fps and my KE is only 86.9. By my calculations you would have to be shooting a 525 grain weight arrow at 287 to get a KE number of 96.05 and I find it highly unlikely that a 66lb bow is shooting an arrow that heavy that fast.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not to be an @ss, but I'm not asking about KE. 55-60/29 will do fine. I'm interested in the difference in drop between 20-35yards in a 300 vs 340 fps hunting setup.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts