Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new bow and the arrows that came with it were only 309 grains after adding a 100 grain point. Is that sufficient to ethically hunt white tail deer with? Seems a little light, but I am a new archer/bowhunter.

·
Vendor
4,582 Posts
Yes it is. I hunt with a 335 grain arrow/2inch 3blade mechanicals and get passthru's all the time.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
If the bow shoots it fast enough. It is if it going at least 265 I feel it will kill deer put a sharp steelforce 100gr and you will have to look for your arrow after the pass thru

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
It is light.

Also lots of variables here and need some more info:

Bow model?
Poundage?
Draw length

·
Banned
5,228 Posts
Speed has nothing to do with killing deer absolutely NOTHING! I would go with a good fixed blade broadhead like Slick Trick's. What are the spec's on your bow? Most bow companies require 5 grains per pound to be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Victory V-Force HV 400 is what came with the bow today. I have been shooting Easton XT Axis 500s out of my previous Martin Cheetah at 61# and 27# draw. Upgrade arrows or move to a 125 grain head?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Victory V-Force HV 400 is what came with the bow today. I have been shooting Easton XT Axis 500s out of my previous Martin Cheetah at 61# and 27# draw. Upgrade arrows or move to a 125 grain head?[/QUOTE

Try the 125 heads first they should work fine

·
Registered
574 Posts
Speed has nothing to do with killing deer absolutely NOTHING!
Not true. Ceteris paribus, more speed correlates directly to more penetration. More penetration can mean the difference between kill or no kill, easy kill or hard kill, etc, depending on several factors.

I don't care what kind of head is on it or how heavy the arrow is - An arrow going 200 fps is going to penetrate a lot more than that same arrow going 75 fps.

Whether you NEED that penetration is dependent on several things in turn, including shot placement, game angle/stance, broadhead type, arrow weight, bow poundage/power, etc.

I would agree that speed NORMALLY has nothing to do with killing, but it CAN where penetration is an issue - light poundage bows, mech heads, bone shots, quartering toward, etc., and combos thereof.

·
Banned
5,228 Posts
Not true. Ceteris paribus, more speed correlates directly to more penetration. More penetration can mean the difference between kill or no kill, easy kill or hard kill, etc, depending on several factors.

I don't care what kind of head is on it or how heavy the arrow is - An arrow going 200 fps is going to penetrate a lot more than that same arrow going 75 fps.

Whether you NEED that penetration is dependent on several things in turn, including shot placement, game angle/stance, broadhead type, arrow weight, bow poundage/power, etc.

I would agree that speed NORMALLY has nothing to do with killing, but it CAN where penetration is an issue - light poundage bows, mech heads, bone shots, quartering toward, etc., and combos thereof.

So by your logic a 450 grain arrow going 260 FPS will penetrate less then a 380 grain arrow at 290 FPS? :crazy:

No matter your theory like I said SPEED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH KILLING DEER!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I would be better off just getting new arrows. My Easton ST Axis 500 are around 363 grains cut to length with a 100 grain head. I just need to get 400s.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
So by your logic a 450 grain arrow going 260 FPS will penetrate less then a 380 grain arrow at 290 FPS? :crazy:

No matter your theory like I said SPEED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH KILLING DEER!
I THINK he meant that when shooting two arrows of the same weight, the faster will penetrate further, which is obvious. However, penetration is equally reliant on arrow mass. So I would say you are false when saying speed as nothing to do with killing deer, but it is certainly not the only factor.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Based on the info given by the OP, he is shooting 4.75 grains per pound (that is less than IBO) and may void any warranty since its close to dry firing the bow. A bowhunter would do well to shoot a hunting arrow that is 8 grains per pound of draw weight. At 65 pounds, that would be a 520 grain arrow but this is also based on your size and draw length. A smaller person would struggle to get to that arrow weight. Simply asking if 309 grains is too light leaves out a lot of needed info but based on what you have provided, I would not suggest such a light arrow as when you hit a boney mass your arrow lethality will be nill.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
I THINK he meant that when shooting two arrows of the same weight, the faster will penetrate further, which is obvious.
Not so. I spent the weekend testing 84 differnt bow models with a variety of arrow weights and I will respectfully disagree. Years of this kind of testing have proven otherwise.

I tested many bows where all we did was change tip weight from 75 grains to 220 grains. Adding weight made the arrow go slower but the KE and momentum increased as did penetration. Physics has not changed the last time I checked.

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Not so. I spent the weekend testing 84 differnt bow models with a variety of arrow weights and I will respectfully disagree. Years of this kind of testing have proven otherwise.

I tested many bows where all we did was change tip weight from 75 grains to 220 grains. Adding weight made the arrow go slower but the KE and momentum increased as did penetration. Physics has not changed the last time I checked.
Here we are back at the tower of babble.

Read what the man said more carefully. Two arrows of identical specs, traveling at the different speeds, which has more penetration? The faster arrow. No if's, and's, or buts. If arrow weight/specs are identical, the ability to push that same arrow faster yields more KE and penetration.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
Victory V-Force HV 400 is what came with the bow today. I have been shooting Easton XT Axis 500s out of my previous Martin Cheetah at 61# and 27# draw. Upgrade arrows or move to a 125 grain head?
If you wanna part with the HV shafts an there not to short for me ..Let me know i may be interested..I been wanting to try some

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The whole speed thing.... heres how it is fellas i have shot competition for years heres the layout, in most competitions people want fast bows so we dont have to change our sights when shooting different distances i was shooting a bow that i used the same.pin for 10-40 yards, and i was shooting 5 grains per lb sure its faster but it penetrates less! Look at it this way if a corvette and a tractor trailer are driving 80 mph and the both hit a concrete wall whats going to happen? The corvette will crush and maybe tear up the wall but the tractor trailer is going to smash thru the wall, so with that being said a heavier arrow will pass thru a deer much more easier than a fast arrow. And another thing i shot a bow last year 322fps at 5 grn per lb and hardly ever blew thru a deer. And before then i use to use a 450-500 grain arrow shootin 260 fps and i would blow thru them all the time! I hope this is helpfull to you

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Here we are back at the tower of babble.

Read what the man said more carefully. Two arrows of identical specs, traveling at the different speeds, which has more penetration? The faster arrow. No if's, and's, or buts. If arrow weight/specs are identical, the ability to push that same arrow faster yields more KE and penetration.
Yes, thank you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts