Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, a friend a mine is 6'5" tall and measured is wing span measured from top of the middle finger to the other one. Is exactly 80" then divided by 2.5 equal 32" of theorical draw lenght.. We don't have any pro shop around here so he cant really choose from different models.

From your experience what could be his options???

He never shot a bow before he is looking for a ready to hunt package but doesn't know where to look.. And as a beginner by myself I'm not helping him that much.

Please can you help me to help him

Thanks in adcance

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think about the closest, for a beginner and a "ready to hunt" package, is going to be something like the Diamond Edge 320. It goes to 31" and has a 32" ATA. You can get them at the big box stores and even online. They run right around $400.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Find a Good used Hoyt Double XL.

Reactions: Mobeasto123

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys, a friend a mine is 6'5" tall and measured is wing span measured from top of the middle finger to the other one. Is exactly 80" then divided by 2.5 equal 32" of theorical draw lenght.. We don't have any pro shop around here so he cant really choose from different models.

From your experience what could be his options???

He never shot a bow before he is looking for a ready to hunt package but doesn't know where to look.. And as a beginner by myself I'm not helping him that much.

Please can you help me to help him

Thanks in adcance
BowTech Reckoning 38 goes to 32 inch draw length

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I think some of the Bear starter bows go out to 31-32”. As a new shooter, it would be best for him to go to a good shop, try a couple bows, and get properly measured and fit for DL. That wingspan method is really not a very good way to determine DL. I’m 6’3” and I shoot 29.5-29.75” DL. If I went by the wingspan method, I’d be shooting 31”, which is way too long for me. The biggest problem with using that method is that it takes into account the length of the fingers, and us taller guys usually have pretty long fingers. But the length of the hands and fingers have no bearing on how the bow will end up fitting someone. I have my doubts that he actually needs 32”. If he does end up buying a bow without getting the chance for a good measurement, I would make sure he gets something with rotating mods so he can adjust the draw length without having to buy more mods.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
With his arms straight out at shoulder height measure from the crease in the wrist to the center of his chest in a straight line, just another reference but seems more accurate than wing span.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Do you want new flagship bow, new budget bow, or used flagship bow?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think some of the Bear starter bows go out to 31-32”. As a new shooter, it would be best for him to go to a good shop, try a couple bows, and get properly measured and fit for DL. That wingspan method is really not a very good way to determine DL. I’m 6’3” and I shoot 29.5-29.75” DL. If I went by the wingspan method, I’d be shooting 31”, which is way too long for me. The biggest problem with using that method is that it takes into account the length of the fingers, and us taller guys usually have pretty long fingers. But the length of the hands and fingers have no bearing on how the bow will end up fitting someone. I have my doubts that he actually needs 32”. If he does end up buying a bow without getting the chance for a good measurement, I would make sure he gets something with rotating mods so he can adjust the draw length without having to buy more mods.
Good advice here

I'm also 6'5" but shoot a 31 1/4 draw length. I was shooting way too long for me because of the inaccuracy of draw length measurement methods. It wasn't until I started working with a coach that I got is properly figured out

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Keep ATA in mind. Im 6' 3" and i dont like bows under 35-36" .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Halon X comp, Traverse, TRX 40, all will go out to 32" can be found used often complete. Not exactly cheap but still very reasonable. But when you get to that size your used to everything that fits being more expensive. i run a 31.5 Draw length and have owned each of the bows above at some point and would not hesitate to recommend them. I do agree with MGS5757 im 6'4 and i didnt like the feel of anything smaller then the 35/36 inch ata with the Traverse as the exception. i still wish i hadnt let that one go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts