Archery Talk Forum banner

33.5 ATA, 5 inch BH and 360 fps, where is the gain?

2187 Views 48 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Mr.Bro
my question to all the speed freaks....

what do you gain by shooting a 33.5" ATA, 5" BH bow at 360 fps, over a 40" ATA 8.5" BH bow at 305 FPS.....

other than 55 fps, and some kinetic energy....do you think it will ever really out perform in all aspects of the archery world?

i'm considering the thought of shooting such a bow so i want some real input, please talk me into it!...:wink:
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
I know this has been beaten to death today, but like stated that sort of thing is a big advantage to smaller framed archers where the extra BH and ATA doesn't really matter as much.Just lets them level the playing field a bit.Now people with a DL 29 and over I don't see any real "advantage" other than having a bit of fun or being able to shoot a lower weight and get the same speed.Nothing wrong with that.Why not drive a slow car, eat bland food, and wear all beige and paint everything you own beige?Because that isn't all that fun.

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know this has been beaten to death today, but like stated that sort of thing is a big advantage to smaller framed archers where the extra BH and ATA doesn't really matter as much.Just lets them level the playing field a bit.Now people with a DL 29 and over I don't see any real "advantage" other than having a bit of fun or being able to shoot a lower weight and get the same speed.Nothing wrong with that.Why not drive a slow car, eat bland food, and wear all beige and paint everything you own beige?Because that isn't all that fun.
well spoken, and i agree to some extent...i guess dan mccarthy with his vantage x8(42 ata and 8 bh) last year and his 26.5 inch DL wasn't worth nothing last year as he only shoots 280 some fps and dominated the ibo in the open pro class.. he prolly has the shortest draw and the slowest bow amongest his peers but seems to win or place in the top five at almost every event he attends!...so i still see no advantage to a shorter, faster, less accurate bow!

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many people that drive a Dodge really need a HEMI? Just spices things up a bit.
they call that a hemi, i call it a joke!

not to bash dodges but come on that was only a selling point it's not really the hemi... kinda like 360 fps out of a 5 inch BH bow.. just a marketing scheme!

· Registered
637 Posts
well spoken, and i agree to some extent...i guess dan mccarthy with his vantage x8(42 ata and 8 bh) last year and his 26.5 inch DL wasn't worth nothing last year as he only shoots 280 some fps and dominated the ibo in the open pro class.. he prolly has the shortest draw and the slowest bow amongest his peers but seems to win or place in the top five at almost every event he attends!...so i still see no advantage to a shorter, faster, less accurate bow!
Well congrats to you then!Now show where I said there was no merit in a slower more forgiving bow.I'll give you a while though since I said no such thing.But hey, knock yourself out looking for an argument that isn't there.

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well congrats to you then!Now show where I said there was no merit in a slower more forgiving bow.I'll give you a while though since I said no such thing.But hey, knock yourself out looking for an argument that isn't there.
your statement clearly states it levels the playing field for the short draw archers and i was giving you an example of a short draw archer with out one of those short BH speed bows, there was no arguement i was just stating facts... so get over yourself!

· Registered
5,249 Posts
my question to all the speed freaks....

what do you gain by shooting a 33.5" ATA, 5" BH bow at 360 fps, over a 40" ATA 8.5" BH bow at 305 FPS.....

other than 55 fps, and some kinetic energy....do you think it will ever really out perform in all aspects of the archery world?

i'm considering the thought of shooting such a bow so i want some real input, please talk me into it!...:wink:
Different strokes for different strokes my brotha, some people are speed freaks, some people like a bow that is ultra forgiving. What it boils down too is that you do not need to shoot a bow that is to fast for you.

And the difference is a bit less pin gap, a bit more energy and braggin rights at the range.

· Registered
11,420 Posts
By looking at just the head of you post.... honestly, i would say, just brace height.

BUT reading the rest of you post i know whta you want, you want a huntig rig.

I personally wont shoot a rig thats under 6.5", last year i had my coat catch on my arm while shootiing,and thats with a jacket with a 6 7/8" brace height.

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Different strokes for different strokes my brotha, some people are speed freaks, some people like a bow that is ultra forgiving. What it boils down too is that you do not need to shoot a bow that is to fast for you.

And the difference is a bit less pin gap, a bit more energy and braggin rights at the range.
good response:thumbs_up...but don't you think the guy smoking the dime sized dot at 50 yds with his ultra forgiving bow would have the bragging rights!...:wink:

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By looking at just the head of you post.... honestly, i would say, just brace height.

BUT reading the rest of you post i know whta you want, you want a huntig rig.

I personally wont shoot a rig thats under 6.5", last year i had my coat catch on my arm while shootiing,and thats with a jacket with a 6 7/8" brace height.
ya i don't want my string to catch my arm or my coat!

· Registered
638 Posts
I have always wondered that as well.... I would think guys like myself out here on the west coast would care more about speed, out here we can and have to shoot 50+ yrds in certain areas... but east coast whitetail guys mainly shoot 5-30yrds.. that range 300fps vs 355 isnt going to mean much..... but I will always take shootability and forgiveness over speed anyday......

· Registered
637 Posts
I said it levels the playing field as far as speed goes, not accuracy.You asked why someone would shoot it and if it would be as accurate and foirgiving.As you put it "will ever really out perform in all aspects of the archery world" and the answer is an obvious no.So maybe you should reread what you write and get over yourself a bit too as you seem to be the one who has a problem with what someone else chooses to shoot.:wink:

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have always wondered that as well.... I would think guys like myself out here on the west coast would care more about speed, out here we can and have to shoot 50+ yrds in certain areas... but east coast whitetail guys mainly shoot 5-30yrds.. that range 300fps vs 355 isnt going to mean much..... but I will always take shootability and forgiveness over speed anyday......
i like the way you think bro!....:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,880 Posts
What is even funnier to me is that from 310 to 350 their is verry little pin gap change.Once you get to 310 I dont really see much advantage.From 250-300 however that is a diff story.These types of bows would be very usefull for short draw guys to get them to that 310 fps and also to the guys that want to shoot a heavy arrow and get allot of KE for hunting godzilla.

· Trollinus Maximus.
79,736 Posts

some speed rigs are also very accurate, my 82nd is AWESOME, same for my GTO, then again, I have a 26.5" DL, so BH really does not affect me, the GTO is amazingly accurate for a short ATA bow, my 82nd currently beats the GTO by 14 FPS.

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is even funnier to me is that from 310 to 350 their is verry little pin gap change.Once you get to 310 I dont really see much advantage.From 250-300 however that is a diff story.These types of bows would be very usefull for short draw guys to get them to that 310 fps and also to the guys that want to shoot a heavy arrow and get allot of KE for hunting godzilla.
you are totally right on the whole speed thing, 250-300 huge difference but not too much loss to accuracy, 300-350.. with that extra 50 fps you gained ain't worth the accuracy you just lost, for nearly no change in pin gap especially anything less then 50 yds.

· Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know exactly what i meant!

My string caught the arm of my coat and i missed!.. What else needs to be said?!?
ya i knew what you meant and was just agreeing with bro...don't get crazy on me... i was just simply stating that i didn't want that to happen either!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.