Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions are like A-holes, but i'm open to some real-time feedback on what you guys have been finding for reliability, and best bang for the buck.
I have been looking a few tenpoints and barnett.
Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wicked Ridge (I have the Blackhawk) or Centerpoint
Thanks man. Interesting enough. My bison ranch, is Kell-Kinney farms. I like the blackhawk. Annoyed that Tenpoint changed all their nocks for their latest models, and I have six brand new 20" carbon fiber nocks with the omni-nock on them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the two piece alpha nocks. If the nocks in your arrows aren’t glued in they’re not a big problem to change, but make sure of the inside diameter of your arrows. There’s three different size nocks. My biggest complaint so far is that it’s expensive to swap them out. Basically the nocks are a buck apiece and so are the receivers 😖

·
Registered
51,731 Posts
Steer clear of anything Barnett! Sold and worked on all kinds of crossbows for 20 years. Barnett being the worst, next to anything made overseas.
Ten Point/ Wicked Ridge being leaders.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steer clear of anything Barnett! Sold and worked on all kinds of crossbows for 20 years. Barnett being the worst, next to anything made overseas.
Thx bud. I've had the high end of tenpoints crossbow and agree

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I am in the same boat. Looking for my first crossbow. Any real dangers in buying used, especially for my first one, where I’m not even sure what I would like. I see several reverse limbs/cams and have been advised to stay away from them. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,871 Posts
I second this! Had a WG innovations which I believe is made by Barnet. The thing blew up on me twice. I literally put it in the burn pile as the customer service refused to replace the bow or give me my money back. Garbage!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I am in the same boat. Looking for my first crossbow. Any real dangers in buying used, especially for my first one, where I’m not even sure what I would like. I see several reverse limbs/cams and have been advised to stay away from them. Any truth to that?
You can find good used options but make sure the seller is viable and the product is proven.

Reverse limb bows from TenPoint and Scorpyd are some of the best xbow products on the market. RDX technology has been around for quite some time. The same applies to reverse cam designs. Vet your product candidates and you will be in good shape.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not interested in buying used. Again, looking for entry-level, 360fps+ for the lady-friend. Likely I'll stick with Tenpoint and one of there sub $600 models.
Thanks again

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,871 Posts
My family has been very happy with Tenpoint and Wicked Ridge bows. I primarily hunt with my Mathews Compound bow, but my backup is a Tenpoint Titan SS and it’s a great bow! We purchased a Wicked Ride Rampage for my dad last season and he loves it!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do find it odd, TP is selling their blackhawk with aluminum arrows..not my top choice, personally

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Had the opportunity to shoot a Wicked Ridge Invader which is about the price point of $600. This was a new bow and I was actually impressed shooting it. Granted this wasn't hard to do as I had never shot a crossbow. I couldn't see any faults with it and enjoyed shooting it. Would still like to try a Centerpoint though.

·
Vendor
25,762 Posts
Just curious. Why would you be so against a used crossbow? Most crossbows lose 40% of their value in 2-3 years and have probably been shot less than 300 times. You can pick up a great Ten Point or Scorpyd that is used for $600. Most of the entry-level bows at less than $600 are made in China. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I would prefer used, just haven’t found the right one yet.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Everyone has their own priories, views opinions n choices. If i was well off i would buy new. I'm not so i buy used. What are you looking for in a crossbow. Myself i will not be locked into a Companies nock or arrow. I want to have a good crank, no press to take it down. I want to decock it, i want a good trigger, be balanced. Handle well be fair weight, no boat anchors, i want 18" + arrows.

·
Registered
51,731 Posts
Had the opportunity to shoot a Wicked Ridge Invader which is about the price point of $600. This was a new bow and I was actually impressed shooting it. Granted this wasn't hard to do as I had never shot a crossbow. I couldn't see any faults with it and enjoyed shooting it. Would still like to try a Centerpoint though.
Tid bit, Centerpoint is made overseas. I haven't seen one yet that the limbs haven't cracked before a year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts