Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy's, i know there are many youth and lady hunters out there who have been sucesful taking deer with 35lb bows. my question is, with a nice heavy arrow and sharp 2 blade bh, what do you think would be the affective range on a whitale up to 230lbs? 35 yards? thanks

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My wife shoots a 38 pound Vixcen with a 25 inch draw and has shot completely through 6 deer with Magnus Stingers. Most shots were in the 20 - 25 yard range, but she did kill a 200 pound buck at 32 yards. Shot all the way through him broadside.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Define heavy. 400 grains? More? if so then its all about accuracy. Still, 30-35 yds should be about the max.

·
Registered
18,400 Posts
35lb modern bow set up properly would work out to longer than most think, I obviously do not have an exact number but 40yds plus should be no issue, recurve and long bow shooters kill animals with less velocity with heavier draw weights by using heavy arrows and two bladers with a 3 to 1 ratio.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There are a lot of variables to consider. Draw length and arrow weight being two important one. The biggest factor in being successful with at low poundage is shot placement. The ability of the archer will limit the range more than the power of the bow.

·
Land of the Giants!!
4,374 Posts
How heavy? Probably wouldn't go past 30 that's for sure, and my initial thoughts were 20 yards max.

My girl pulls 44lbs and we both have agreed to keep her shots to 30 max.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As others have said, I'd keep it 20-25. The biggest problem I would see is being able to hit the spot your aiming at, an alert whitetail will be dropping. If she is shooting a heavy arrow at low poundage, it will be effective but keep in mind, the further away that animal is, the better opportunity it will have a "jumping the string".

·
Custom callmaker
3,473 Posts
You would need to run the setup to figure out the kenetic energy at given ranges. That said my boy will not be shooting past 20yrds, Why? Because its bowhunting and if he can't get that close he needs to practice setting up. I will push him to work on all aspects of bowhunting.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts
Most shots were in the 20 - 25 yard range, but she did kill a 200 pound buck at 32 yards. Shot all the way through him broadside.
Yeah, I was going to say maybe 30 max

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I just set up a bow for my wife. She'll be shooting a 340 grain arrow, 23.5" DL, 34lb DW (compound). Trying to keep shots inside 15 yards.....20 max.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
That said my boy will not be shooting past 20yrds, Why? Because its bowhunting and if he can't get that close he needs to practice setting up. I will push him to work on all aspects of bowhunting.
I agree. I wouldn't shoot a deer beyond 30 yards on an initial shot myself regardless of draw weight, and I practice to 50-60 yards. Paper and live animals are two separate things. My wife's bow is 26"/37#, and when she was bowhunting, I restricted her to 20 yards or less.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Illinois is 40lb draw and 28" draw length minimum.
DRAW LENGTH MINIMUM?? Are they crazy? You rule out most women, need to petition the state for predjudice. Thats bull$#!+

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
There are a lot of variables to consider. Draw length and arrow weight being two important one. The biggest factor in being successful with at low poundage is shot placement. The ability of the archer will limit the range more than the power of the bow.
This

1 - 20 of 27 Posts