Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
27.5 draw,. 60lbs, vxr 28. Thinking rage trypans coupled with gold tip hunters. This be enough for whitetails? What broadheads yall liking?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Plenty of arrow if tuned correctly, the right broadhead, and decent speed. My compound arrows are usually 350-375 grains (always have shot 5 grains per pound at 27” draw) with arrow speeds from 295-325 fps. I’ve ALWAYS had pass throughs on deer. I would not be shooting a trypan though with that setup, I’d be concerned about penetration. I always prefer a coc or trocar tip bh.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I wouldn't trust a mechanical with your set up. If you want to use mechanical BHs, I'd suggest going with a heavier arrow.

With your set up, I'd recommend a Cut on Contact type head.

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
So for years I have shot 60-70#, 30" any where from 385-410 grn. Muzzy 100-130 grn razor sharp! Whitetail in VA, Hogs in TN and GA. I haven't had a problem. However with all the Ashby education on this great website. I'm going to shoot 535 grn this year. So most all of my shots have been within 25 yards, so I'm not worried about the trajectory.

I would recommend look you Ranch Fairy on YouTube, and look up his archery stuff. If your bow is tuned to you and you are having perfect arrow flight, and your Heads are Razor sharp you "should be fine". However going heavier and Sharp COC or trocar heads is a win win in my opinion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17,801 Posts
Enough, probably, Ideal no!

I prefer a minimum of 400 grains.

I also like a 1.5 inch 2 blade mechanical for lower lbs. Sevr 1.5.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
No way would I use a wide mechanical on a light weight arrow like that. But that's just me. I'd up the weight by at least 60 to 100 grains.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is your arrow 365 without a broadhead? If it is your will be fine once you add 100 GR or more in rage to the front. If 365 is the total weight with broadhead, you will want either more weight or a smaller head.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I used 365gr arrow for years when I hunted farmland whitetails, never had a penetration issue, but I used a 1.5" cut mech, I now hunt a big forest area and my shots are generally under 25 yards so I shoot a fmj which is moderately heavier

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
365 to light 465 would be much better COC must.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is your arrow 365 without a broadhead? If it is your will be fine once you add 100 GR or more in rage to the front. If 365 is the total weight with broadhead, you will want either more weight or a smaller head.
That's with 100gr field point. My arrows are 27 inches I believe. 400 spine. I could up to 125 gr broadheads. That's gets me to 390

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
No way would I use a wide mechanical on a light weight arrow like that. But that's just me. I'd up the weight by at least 60 to 100 grains.
I'm on this wagon as well....

with what you have now....realistically you are 50/50 on seeing a deer running away with half your arrow hanging out....or more. If you'd get different heads. I just simply can't jump on that rage bandwagon, there is no need for a large cutting diameter. My opinion is, if you are shooting bigger heads to make up for a bad shot, you are already going into the woods with less than ideal confidence in your abilities. you can put down a deer, any deer with a 1 inch sonic if you get two lungs or heart. Single lung Big diameter cuts don't mean faster recovery. I've been on several Rage tracking jobs and contrary to popular belief, not every hit is like throwing an axe through them. Deer do go un-recovered with wide cuts. I also know a guy with a hound, he's seen plenty Rage hit deer go a LONG way. most times the dog pushes them to expiration.

go with confidence, go with an fixed head at that weight arrow. that would be cheaper than buying new arrows. IMO, you probably don't have an arrow properly spined to add 100 more grains up front. Cheapest option is to buy a COC head. I would go with a lesser angled head as well. the magnus hornets never proved that theory correct for me ( i'm at 600 TAW), but I don't like the greater blade angle hornet for you. magnus stinger or buzz cut would be a better option IMO. the Buzz cut or stinger don't look cool or bad azz, but they work. there are many longer ferruled, lesser blade angle heads on the market, pick one.

Also, think of this way....how do the traditional archers kill deer and get good penetration? in your case, my recommendation is a longer head, lesser blade angle. The trad guy is also throwing logs, but that will cost you more money.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You are gonna get answers all over the place. I'm a heavier arrow, good foc, fixed blade guy. Has served me better when things don't go perfect. Apparently there are lots of people the go super light with large mechanicals and never have an issue. I recommend doing some of your own testing. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have the arrows yet. But was planning on gold tip hunters. Currently have 400 spine that 7.5 gr per in. Weighed with 100 gr field point was right at 350 gr total.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I don't have the arrows yet. But was planning on gold tip hunters. Currently have 400 spine that 7.5 gr per in. Weighed with 100 gr field point was right at 350 gr total.
Any reason why you've settled on GT Hunters?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any reason why you've settled on GT Hunters?
I'm definitely open to suggestions. Good tip was recommended to me. What about some hybrid tips? Not sure how they fly?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
:happy1: I'm on this one.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts