Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
10,406 Posts
Lokking at getting new arrows for deer hunting, most shots 20-40 yard max.
Go with a 350-370 total weight or 410-420 weight arrow. all pro and cons.
thanks
I did a simi poll here while back and asked...a 500gr taw at 265fps or a 380gr taw at 310fps for hunting deer/elk out to 40yds....and i think most perfered the heavier setup......out of a 70lb bow.

· Registered
92 Posts
Everything is about kenetic energy. 1/2xmassxvelocity squared. While mass is important speed is better. Go with the lighter arrow and a sharp broadhead for your best penetration.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
Everything is about kenetic energy. 1/2xmassxvelocity squared. While mass is important speed is better. Go with the lighter arrow and a sharp broadhead for your best penetration.
Not exactly.......i'll take the heavier/slower because of Momentum down range.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Which to use? I don't know

I nearly have both:
Bowtech SWAT 67# 29'' draw. 360 gr. @ 301 FPS
Bowtech SWAT 68# 29'' draw. 430 gr. @ 279 FPS

· Registered
178 Posts
Ke

I like the lighter arrow out to 20yds and the heavier one 20-40 yds due to windage and penetration issues.

· Registered
9,057 Posts
close to what i'm shooting...

ACC 3-60, 421 grains, 294 fps, 80.82 ke
Carbon Express Maxima, 381 grains, 308 fps, 80.28 ke
This is out of my Alpha Max 35, 29.5 draw, 70 lbs...
The Maximas i use for hunting in TN
The ACC's i use for hunting in OH...bigger critters!!!:tongue:

· Registered
790 Posts
When trying to decide on a hunting arrow, always go for the heavier one for better penetration. KE IS NOT THE BEST WAY TO DETERMINE WHICH ARROW WILL PENETRATE BETTER. I can't believe that in this day and age with all the posts about this exact subject people still think speed will give you better penetration.

I'm currently shooting 740gr arrows out of my 70lb Dren LD.

· Registered
1,347 Posts
i would go with the heavier arrow. i always try to push the heaviest arrow as fast as i can outof my bows. i'm a shooting a 31" draw, which really helps. ke is truly about speed and weight, not just speed. i know i'd rather be hit with a wiffle ball going 200 fps than a baseball going 120 fps, but that's just the way i look at ke.

· Registered
16 Posts
Heavier is better for penetration. It is a simple fact that has been argued to death on here but the facts are a heavy arrow will be quieter and have less wind drift and more downrange ke than a light arrow. Rifle shooters have used this formula for decades. It is not rocket science.

· Patriot
5,055 Posts
+1.
heavier is better for penetration. It is a simple fact that has been argued to death on here but the facts are a heavy arrow will be quieter and have less wind drift and more downrange ke than a light arrow. Rifle shooters have used this formula for decades. It is not rocket science.

· Reverend
6,951 Posts
420 is not a heavy arrow. To me it represents the best of both worlds... not too heavy to be an issue when misjudging yardage, and not too light to adversely affect penetration. Not only that but the lighter arrow will also be louder.
Go quiet, middle of the road. 420!

· Registered
3,868 Posts
I had a similar decision to make. In my case I already had both set of arrows it came down to the most accurate consistent flight. the heavier arrows won speed is good ke is great but hitting what you aim at is most important. If you have both shoot the most accurate.:thumbs_up

· Registered
2,919 Posts
I doubt you'd see any significant difference in any aspect -- penetration, noise, even trajectory very close to the same between those arrows

I'd go for trajectory since it can make a significant difference and I don't think the other aspects will make any real difference -- so if the 420 grain arrow is getting at least 280-290 FPS I'd go with that; if not, go with the 370 grain arrow

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Really, only you can answer this question.

First off, for deer it frankly doesn't matter. Either arrow will get plenty of penetration provided you have enough DW and a good BH. I have hunted deer with a 370gr arrow up to a 500gr arrow all at 70# and get pass throughs on every one.

How good are you at judging yardage? You will only have about a 20fps difference from light to heavy but the extra speed of the lighter arrow may help you a little. 20fps is not much and you won't see dramatic trajectory differences but there will be some.

Are you hunting windy open fields where a lighter arrow may drift more, or woods that have shelter from elements?

Do you shoot a one pin slider sight or multi pin.....again back to the speed thing for the one pin vs multi pin.

Expandable vs fixed head, cut on contact or not? If expandable I would opt for more momentum thus heavier arrow.

Lots of different theories. Go with the one that shoots best out of your bow with the correct spine. Both will easily kill deer.

· Registered
446 Posts
People who like speed use KE as their argument.

People who like heavy use Mass as their argument.

Reality:

F = M*V

In order to deliver a force or punch to an animal you need both. The product of mass and velocity is also known as momentum. So it is momentum that delivers the blow, not speed alone, not mass alone. You have to consider both.

Remember animals have been killed with heavy spears for eons without much speed. While the KE of this spear is not very impressive, the Momentum is.

E

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.