Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
No. I don't I think with the current technology we about a peak performance wise with 340-350 fps range

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Since speeds haven't changed in nearly 20 years with a shootable platform, no.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Absolutely - they cracked the 370fps with the Full Throttle. With modern technology, composite materials and other upgrades I think an extra 10fps - is not only possible - its assured. I recall the techs at PSE commenting on the force draw curve of the FT and the discussion was back then they could tweak it a bit more.

They gained a lot of speed of the FT with the light skelitonised cam. Less cam weight - faster cam rotation. With modern material I think a similar light weight EVO cam may be on the drawing boards. With the current heavy EVO cam on the expedite hitting 360fps - a light weight version would be even faster - 380fps - who knows??

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
RB - Its a rhetorical question - would you rather buy a 320fps bow - or a 340fps bow? They both do the job - but not too many 320fps bows get sold these days...I wonder why?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Absolutely - they cracked the 370fps with the Full Throttle. With modern technology, composite materials and other upgrades I think an extra 10fps - is not only possible - its assured. I recall the techs at PSE commenting on the force draw curve of the FT and the discussion was back then they could tweak it a bit more.

They gained a lot of speed of the FT with the light skelitonised cam. Less cam weight - faster cam rotation. With modern material I think a similar light weight EVO cam may be on the drawing boards. With the current heavy EVO cam on the expedite hitting 360fps - a light weight version would be even faster - 380fps - who knows??
You’re not wrong, but what scares about that is looking at Bowtech cams. Bowtech cams are very... skeletonized, making them lighter. Yeah it leads to faster cam rotation, but at what costs? Just in my personal experience I’ve seen a lot more bent cams on bowtechs than any other brand of bow. I don’t want to make this thread a battle of the brands, I just wanted to compare a company that also has lightweight cams. In my opinion, I’d rather have a heavier, more durable cam and not worry about speed so much. What I could see companies doing is keep upping cam sizes. You can see that trend easily mainly because a bigger cam means faster cam rotation also. Just like when you put bigger tires on your truck and your spedo is off. The tread of the tire is spinning faster when the hub is traveling the same speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
KJ interesting comments re the Bowtech - they don't get any skimpier in the metal department that the FT cams - and I've seen or heard of very few, if any, bent FT cams - save for mine when it got dropped - but that was pilot error. Now if they were to go carbon/tungsten or similar strong light weight material for a cam (Im no metalurgist) now that would be one fast spinning cam. Do you really want dinner plate size cams?

·
Registered
906 Posts
You’re not wrong, but what scares about that is looking at Bowtech cams. Bowtech cams are very... skeletonized, making them lighter. Yeah it leads to faster cam rotation, but at what costs? Just in my personal experience I’ve seen a lot more bent cams on bowtechs than any other brand of bow. I don’t want to make this thread a battle of the brands, I just wanted to compare a company that also has lightweight cams. In my opinion, I’d rather have a heavier, more durable cam and not worry about speed so much. What I could see companies doing is keep upping cam sizes. You can see that trend easily mainly because a bigger cam means faster cam rotation also. Just like when you put bigger tires on your truck and your spedo is off. The tread of the tire is spinning faster when the hub is traveling the same speed.

I’ve accidentally dry fired my Bowtech Reign 6 (73 lbs draw) several times now - four times lol. The cams are still perfectly straight. No issues with my Bowtech’s cams. These things are solid as heck.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I’ve accidentally dry fired my Bowtech Reign 6 (73 lbs draw) several times now - four times lol. The cams are still perfectly straight. No issues with my Bowtech’s cams. These things are solid as heck.

wait, what?? 🤐

Reactions: Smada962 and Dewboy

·
Registered
2,308 Posts

I have never dry fired any bow. Not once. How could you possibly manage to dry fire the same bow 4 times?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts

I find this very hard to believe.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
As far as 380 speed, I think they can. It will take titanium cams, carbon risers and a lot of experimenting with widths and thickness at different points on the limb.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have never dry fired any bow. Not once. How could you possibly manage to dry fire the same bow 4 times?
I sometimes forget to nock an arrow. I did it one time on purpose to prove a point.

Anyway, My Bowtech still fires like a champ.

·
Registered
611 Posts

I mean that’s cool, but I don’t believe it. A video would convince me tho

·
Registered
611 Posts
KJ interesting comments re the Bowtech - they don't get any skimpier in the metal department that the FT cams - and I've seen or heard of very few, if any, bent FT cams - save for mine when it got dropped - but that was pilot error. Now if they were to go carbon/tungsten or similar strong light weight material for a cam (Im no metalurgist) now that would be one fast spinning cam. Do you really want dinner plate size cams?
I have not owned a FT, that’s why I couldn’t comment anything about it’s cams. I have owned bowtechs tho, that’s why I used it for reference. And to answer your question about cam size, I’m not really on the speed wagon. I’m not saying I want bigger cams, what I was saying is that seems to be the trend that companies are on. You compare bows from the early 2000’s to bow and you’ll notice that every year, cams get slightly bigger across almost all models.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol you dry fired your bow on purpose I’ve never seen a bow dry fired does the string pop off

1 - 20 of 89 Posts