Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me how the flight setup works? I know that the flights are different groups of archers put into flight A, flight B etc etc based on score. But how are the cutoffs decided ashen determining which archers will be included into a particular flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't see flights around here any more, but back in the day, they would just divide the number of competitors in any given division by 3. For example: Lets say there are 30 archers in the bowhunter division. Score #11 would take first place in the second flight and score #21 would take first place in the third flight. etc.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see flights around here any more, but back in the day, they would just divide the number of competitors in any given division by 3. For example: Lets say there are 30 archers in the bowhunter division. Score #11 would take first place in the second flight and score #21 would take first place in the third flight. etc.
So no real rhyme or reason, just the total entries in a class split into equal numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NC ASA Director
36,062 Posts
It can be anyway the club wants to do it. There are so many classes now, you hardly have enough shooters to even try and flight a class. I would flight a trophy class and we do at our Jamboree, but I would never flight a money class.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
At Vegas, you never knew if after two days of shooting you would be at the top of flight 2 or the bottom of flight 1. The difference might be what your score was the first day even though you tied with several others after two days.

Like said above, divide number of shooters by number of flights and draw a line. When I was running a tournament years ago, I would be the one to draw the line. In the 60s, there would be 200 archers at a local tournament and only 4 classes so we would make each flight 10 people and draw the line.

Now it 50 classes with 35 shooters so no flights anymore. ASA still draws a large crowd and is still young at adding classes so they should still have flights. NFAA has more classes than shooters and they are getting ready to add a few more. I get a kick at how 3D has done everything that the NFAA has done years ago from adding know distance to adding multiple classes.

·
formerly 3drcher48
5,958 Posts
It can be anyway the club wants to do it. There are so many classes now, you hardly have enough shooters to even try and flight a class. I would flight a trophy class and we do at our Jamboree, but I would never flight a money class.
So.. why wouldn't you flight a money class? Just wondering.

·
NC ASA Director
36,062 Posts

·
woodsman78
3,362 Posts
All I will say is this the numbers at most of are local shoots for money the numbers go way up when it is flighted!! Some of the clubs are booked full months in advance on these flighted money shoots!

Reactions: 1/2 Bubble Off

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
All I will say is this the numbers at most of are local shoots for money the numbers go way up when it is flighted!! Some of the clubs are booked full months in advance on these flighted money shoots!
That's how it is around here too....

·
woodsman78
3,362 Posts
People figure it out real quick the top dogs are always near the top. When it is flighted the little guy feels like he has a chance pocket some coin also!!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
People figure it out real quick the top dogs are always near the top. When it is flighted the little guy feels like he has a chance pocket some coin also!!
We have some shooters who show up to local events who have cashed big paychecks from IBO/ASA/LAS Classic/Vegas/NFAA... These guys/gals compete in the Pro or SemiPro classes and dominate. I'd still shoot the event knowing I'd need to have the "best day ever" to even be in the conversation. (A few years back, considered paying the extra $$$ to shoot the Pro Class at IBO just so I could hang out and maybe learn a few things from those folks....it would be like playing a round of golf with Tiger Woods)

When everyone has a chance to at least win their entry fee back (flighted system), shooters will line up around the block!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts