Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched a video of Levi in La shooting a ASA shoot. Looked like a road with targets on each side. Just wondering are they all like this. When we started the IBO our club tried to make the shoot soemthing extra. We had targets across ponds, down hills, up hills, across valleys. Didnt have very many with the path directly to the target.

We put a bear behind her cubs, a doe in front of a buck. Tried to make the shots hard to make but didnt want anyone to loose arrows or tear them up on a tree. Angled alot of shots also.

Did not ever see anyone with a umbrella keeping the sun off the shooter. Maybe I am wrong or just been out of it to long but they just look like a NFAA spot shoot to me not a true 3D shoot.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I'm not going to say anything directly about the OP's post because I didn't see the ASA shoot he was talking about, but I will almost guarantee you one thing, if the sport grows and the money grows with it, in 10 years it won't be anything like the original concept of the game. I've seen this happen in the shooting sports, most definitely in sporting clays in the United States. What started in England as a Sunday afternoon game to sharpen your wingshooting skills has migrated into a sport where target setters pit their skills against top shooters to where almost no target presentation is anything near what a wild bird would do or what a responsible hunter would shoot at.

I'm not making a judgement call on the right or wrong of this at all - just saying that money will change the sport.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I don't know....From what I see locally, most clubs try to do the best with what they have in land diversity. The coolest target I shot this year was a mountain lion at 30yards about 17' up on a home made pressure treated lever with a rope on one end and a counter weight on the other so you could pull the target down, get your arrows and let go of the rope to send it back up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
All the shoots I've been to in the North East have been pretty well laid out and targets placed in an appropriate place. The alligator for example is often on the other side of a stream or in a pretty wet area. Rams, etc are usually in a pretty rocky area with some nice elevation. I haven't seen any of the ASA type all targets on each side of the road where you can see the next target from where you are shooting the current one. I think everything in the North East is IBO based. I'm sure some of the huge ASA events are laid out like that just so they can get the enormous amount of people through them. What's KY up to this year? 1600 shooters?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ASA ranges are typically set up with a road or decent path and ranges on both sides of the road. ASA this weekend in KY has over 1600 shooters. A little trail through the woods doesn't work very well when you have a massive event like the ASA does.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Just shot the California state broadhead shoot last weekend, 2 days 84 targets total with broadheads unmarked yardage very up and down hill at Tejon Ranch. Course was around 2 1/2 miles long. I also shot the Redding 3D a couple weeks ago 1598 shooters 3 day shoot 70 targets marked yardage.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I don't know....From what I see locally, most clubs try to do the best with what they have in land diversity. The coolest target I shot this year was a mountain lion at 30yards about 17' up on a home made pressure treated lever with a rope on one end and a counter weight on the other so you could pull the target down, get your arrows and let go of the rope to send it back up.
Sounds like Grays Harbor, WA...They have a target exactly like that! Really cool shot!

·
Back Yard Champion
29,733 Posts
ASA ranges are typically set up with a road or decent path and ranges on both sides of the road. ASA this weekend in KY has over 1600 shooters. A little trail through the woods doesn't work very well when you have a massive event like the ASA does.
Yes, most all ASA events are setup this way. Metro was when I shot it, 10 down one side and 10 up on the other side. Now, I lost count, but figure "A" through "H" ranges and thought it ran up to "L." I shot "G" and "H" ranges, seemed a mile walk to and from for both. And there were 5 per group for "G and H" ranges. As it was each group on each side all shot at the same and scored and pulled arrows at the same time. Musical chairs without the missing chair.
Okay, these ain't club size events.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts