Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you set a course to hard? At every stake, you can see the target clearly (12-10-08-05) but have to shoot through tree forks, creeks, up and down hills, next to stumps, across water. Some areas are darker due to shade and some are brighter due to sunlight. I would like to hear your feed back. Thanks

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Can you set a course to hard? At every stake, you can see the target clearly (12-10-08-05) but have to shoot through tree forks, creeks, up and down hills, next to stumps, across water. Some areas are darker due to shade and some are brighter due to sunlight. I would like to hear your feed back. Thanks
sounds like a good course to me......main thing you want to consider is will all people have fun, but yet find it challenging...hard courses can just be decieving using terrain and shadows......ALWAYS keep in mind not everyone is the same height and all people need to be considered when setting stakes...men, women, right handed and left handed.......had an experience last month where from a 5'-8"+ man's pont of view the lanes were clear but from a less than 5'8" woman's point of view made for some pissed off shooters.... and make sure there is NO BRUSH or limbs covering scoring rings from all points of view.....still deciding if we will go back to that range, especially since they are talking about implimenting a 22/64 max on arrow shafts...mine are 23/64 so i would be unable to shoot without changing my complete setup...thinking it wouldn't be worth the effort

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Well obviously it was too hard for someone. I've found it doesn't matter what you do or how easy or hard it is, there are always gonna be whiners. Even if you say that the closer stake is more suited for you (proposed whiner) then he will whine that he doesn't want to shoot too close (and hence be dogged by his friends).

My thoughts are you somehow have to set a course that has a blend of different shots, long, short, canting, in a dip, uphill, downhill, side hill, obstructions, in other words variety is good. For me the thing I don't like about a course is when it's always the same, it's a quick and easy way to get bored and then lose shooters.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
3d in a way is like golf everyone wants to score good and be challenged at the same time. I believe you need to make sure that the scoring rings are all visible in every way. The next thing is to make sure that you do not exceed the max yardage for each class. As far as using the terrain to challenge shooters have at it! everyone has to shoot and judge the same course. The only thing I would caution against is putting smaller targets at unrealistic distances. I would not shoot a turkey, javelina, mosquito, bear cub, alligator, carp, or whatever at really any distance over 30 yards unless I have a rangefinder and in this case I dont. It may seem fun to you but the margin of error is so great that even a shot that was not that bad could be a 5. Make the shots realistic! I love shots that I could actually see happening in the woods. Its hard to please everyone!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I second what triman said about considering the shooters size, and ATA for that matter. We've got some short guys shootin' short ATA bows that set our targets. I'm 6'1" and shoot a fairly long ATA bow and there's always two or three targets where my upper limb is touching brush or I can't draw at all with out squatting down. They don't mean to do it, it just never occurs to them because of their height, ATA.

Shooting from bright sun to dark is tough but a reasonable challenge. Just hate it when they choose a black target for that situation:D. Another example I've seen....a target that is on a plateau above the shooters. At my height it was no problem but a female in my group could only see the top 1/3 of the target...I bent down to get her perspective and thought "that's impossible".

As long as you can touch the stake, draw your bow unimpeded and see the scoring rings, anything goes IMO.

·
74,535 Posts
Course

Folks start losing arrows and they wont be back.

One can set a course deceiving without making it so hard some hit limbs and trees. I would rather see folks shoot a decent score and leave with a good feeling than to get disscouraged.

Often the reason you need different stakes for different skill levels.

DB

·
Registered
818 Posts
As long as they all have clear, unobstructed shooting lanes then its a fair course. Of couse people are going to complain, but true 3-D archers will enjoy the challenge.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As long as you can touch the stake, draw your bow unimpeded and see the scoring rings, anything goes IMO.

Spot on mate!!!

Folks start losing arrows and they wont be back.

Spot on again!!!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My biggest complaint is always about losing arrows on tough targets. You can make me shoot a rabbit target at 60 yrds if you have a good backstop that will stop my arrow and not harm if if I miss. The best I've seen is some clubs using old hot tub covers, make a great back stop. Just my opinion, if you don't have a good back stops keep the shots reasonable (small in side 20yrds, medium or deer to 30yrds, and bigger not past 50yrds ) or even on the easy side. Some may be mad its too easy but if someone losses $40 worth of arrows at your shoot the diffinately won't be back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts