Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my first 3D shoot last week end with my 9yr old son and had a good time but my son caught a guy who was last years state camp pushing the pencil-mark a 12 when he had a10.bad exsample for my son. Does this happen often?

· Registered
14 Posts
Yes there are a few like that but there are more that dont lie to themselves.and arent interested in a trophy. those guys only want to show off and win a true archer wont even take a point unless he severs the line . the biggest crime here is that a child witnessed this kind of crap.hopefully most of his experiences will be positive.:)

· Registered
118 Posts
Not if you don't let it!

It is only a bad example if you let the guy get away with it. If you used it to teach your son that it is wrong then you turned it into a good chance to teach him some ethics. I think it happens all the time at locals. When people don't have to answer to anyone it's funny what they'll do for a plastic trophy.
Fly

· Registered
264 Posts
I agree that cheating is wrong and there are few that do it, but are you sure your son knows what he saw.Does he understand that the rule is the arrow just has to touch the line and doesn't have to be inside of the ring.

A lot of newcomers don't understand this and I take my son (4) and my daughter (9) and I am sure that they would not completely be able to score a full round.Especially if they were standing a few feet away.There are many arrows that must be scored from a very close point of view to know for sure.

Make sure he understands this and see if he could clearly see that there was meat between the line and the arrow.I know there are a lot of arrows that I have looked at from a distance and thought they were one score to only find out upon close examination that they were actually something else.No need to accuse if there is a chance that the score is legit.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Tfox this was after we pulled the arrows,he marking his score card on his knees we my son saw it but your right he might be mistaken.The guy denide it and I told my son to be quiet that if he did cheat he only cheating hem self-I did not want to start a scene on a locale shoot.later in the car my son and I had a talkabout it,he said he knows the diffence from a 10 an a 12.he a good christen boy and does not lie.We had a good talk about it.

Also two of the guys arrows were right next to each other on a differnt target.and the 12 ring was mess up so bad you could not tell if was in or out or touching the ring so they gave each other a 12-they said you always go to the next higher score-Is that right?

· Registered
812 Posts
Yep, there are those that cheat. And there will be those that cheat from now on. You wonder when you see those same groups shooting together at the local shoots and always come out with even or plus points, then at a major shoot, they end up 50-60 points down

· Registered
155 Posts
Let them cheat

If they want to cheat, let them. Like Larry said, you wonder why their 50 pts down at a national. Shot with them, seen them. Their only fooling themselves. They are wanna bes. What was at stake? A trophy? If hes a former state champion that is sad to cheat over a trophy. If it was for just a local shoot he is the one who looks bad. Save it for the guy who is busting his butt by practicing every day who is working his way up. Next time this happens to you, confront him right there. Let him hes WRONG! Darn wanna bes!

James D

· Registered
155 Posts
One more thing

On the 12 ring issue that is shot out. I can understand only seeing 1/2 the ring cause the other side is shot out, but you have to use your head. Unless its really close then ya, you should give it too him. But if your looking at it and you kinda can tell were the 12 ring SHOULD be and the arrow is not that close, then it should be a group scoring. I shot a National Pro/AM last weekend with the same thing. One 12 he got the other he did not.

James D

· Registered
163 Posts
We have them up here too!!!!!!! A friend of mine was shooting with one of the prominent local shooters and he scored his own arrow higher than it was and apparently it wasn't even close. Others have been kicked off the course and had score cards taken away.

· Registered
602 Posts
cheaters

Oh yes, lots of cheaters in the 3-d woods, became so bad around here that the local club closed up.
These types make good poachers too. I could go on about a certain shooter around here with a major bow co. endorsment,
but thats what our society has come to, just look at the sports stars,, cheat,cheat,cheat, and make the money.
Oh well like mr. Nugent says, just do good anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.