Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i converted my old milk barn into a fifty yard range. i purchased 40 mckeinzes from the ibo and going to start a winter league after the first. i'm thinking i want to run a two man handcap and an ind. i have 50 guys signed up right now, alot are first time foam killers so i'm looking for max fun with a competitive nature. and ideas from leagues you have shot in or what you think would work best for a winter course? also where could i find software for a league manager.

thanks,
Ray

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
Get all the used fake christmas trees you can. Nothing worse than walking into a course and have no obstructions.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Get all the used fake christmas trees you can. Nothing worse than walking into a course and have no obstructions.
Yup we are trying to find all we can....Hope after X mas they will be popping up

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
first this great that you do this for archers, wish we had something like that around here.
-my suggestion is any equipment you want to use BUT put a IBO rating on the bows!
this will even out the competetion alot better than a hunting class and a open class.
when your shooting close to the same speeds it levels out really quickly.jmo!

·
Registered
706 Posts
IDEA that Worked

I have suggested this many times over with nothing but possitives. We have ran tournaments and leagues this way. Have everybody shoot what they shoot. At the end of the league, tournament, etc. Total up every individuals score. Divide them with the high scores in one half and the lower scores in the other half. Draw one high score and draw one low score, without seeing the totals. That is a team with their 2 scores added up. Do this with all of them. The highest over all score are the winners. Everybody has a fair chance that way. If you have a odd number the very first one drawed is a team. Put the high score person back in the mix. That way the lowest score person had the even chance of drawing one of the highest score person. Very rare do you have a tie. The shooters love it because they just shoot their game and the playing field is nothing but fun. Everyone has the same chance of being the winners. Give it a try.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have suggested this many times over with nothing but possitives. We have ran tournaments and leagues this way. Have everybody shoot what they shoot. At the end of the league, tournament, etc. Total up every individuals score. Divide them with the high scores in one half and the lower scores in the other half. Draw one high score and draw one low score, without seeing the totals. That is a team with their 2 scores added up. Do this with all of them. The highest over all score are the winners. Everybody has a fair chance that way. If you have a odd number the very first one drawed is a team. Put the high score person back in the mix. That way the lowest score person had the even chance of drawing one of the highest score person. Very rare do you have a tie. The shooters love it because they just shoot their game and the playing field is nothing but fun. Everyone has the same chance of being the winners. Give it a try.
how would you set it up as a league, keep the same teams after the start? do team leagues work better, also thinking maybe an upper and lower div might work.

·
Registered
706 Posts
new way of fun!

You draw the teams after the league, tournament etc. is completed. Just let everbody know this is how your going to run it. Your numbers will pick up. The lower shooters won't be intimidated by the better ones. They may be the winner in the end. Hope this will help. You can pm me also.

·
Registered
403 Posts
50 yard indoor would be crazy. I'm so jealous, I wouldn't care what the rules would be, I'd be happy to shoot. Great idea and I hope it works out well.:darkbeer:

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,215 Posts
Sounds like fun! Too bad you are too far away, I'd be game!

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Wow. Would love to shoot it. Too far though. Best of luck, I am sure it will go big.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I will stop over this week Ray and snap a few pics and get them posted up.....Come Guys give us some good ideas.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Shoot and have FUN!

Yes it keeps the shooters coming back. We are all here to have fun and if ya win... that's always a bonus. This does let everyone have a chance for the bonus!!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I do think it would be cool to have it setup like some of the indoor places I have seen pics of here on AT. Mounds of dirt, trees, bushes, etc.....

Mark

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Here are some low quality cell phone pics for some ideas.Just make good use of angles,tunnels,lighting and hiding body features of targets and it will be a blast.Notice I didn't say make it long.A course can be tough without being long when done right.PLUS,when you get too long just to make it tough,you will run off the lesser shooters.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I would keep the handi cap to give everybody some winnings. I would try to throw in a steel target and maybe a couple swingers or moving targets for bonus points. Some guys can hit 12's all day but cant hit a slow moving target. Change it up everyweek, and definitley get the trees, maybe a short fence etc. Tree stand if you have room. Just keep the cheating down or no body will have fun.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts