Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had some good luck modeling grips for their bow? I tried a few and slowly getting it to fit better. These are for my Olympic Recurve

Automotive design Glove Wood Shelving Shelf

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but have wondered where/how to get plans for them. Did/do you design your own for sale?
On one of the 3D sites I found a guy replicated a Gillio grip for a few different risers. That's what you see above. I have just been tinkering with them

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's something I want to try but haven't really messed with yet. I could just buy a Gillingham grip (I shoot Bowtech) but they're damned expensive to be trying out several different ones. What material are you printing with?

·
RuffLight and Bsquare
16,537 Posts
It's something I want to try but haven't really messed with yet. I could just buy a Gillingham grip (I shoot Bowtech) but they're damned expensive to be trying out several different ones. What material are you printing with?
My main material is PLA+ but I do PETG, ABS, TPU. Depends on the project.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The grips I used PLA for mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me dig around in the garage and see if I have one. If I do it would be for an older Hoyt like in the Carbon Spyder era.
Ya I have an SF Forged+ and some of the custom grips I have found all advertise "similar to Hoyt grip" so I want to see what that's all about without spending the $50+

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had a friend print me a couple hoyt similars based on designs I found on Thingiverse.
The first one was flat the second curved.
Both fitted nicely on my old hoyt Aerotec riser. Actually kept the curved one and used it in both my SF and W&W for some time. Pictures attached.

As you can see the PLA got a bit overheated, but it had a nice streak texture and really helped a lot with a positive grip.

I would definitely experiment with a 3D printer for custom grips. You can print a few dozen for the price of a commercially customised one.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Joint Leg Muscle Black Luggage and bags
Red Gas Bicycle part Vehicle Automotive wheel system
Footwear Shoe Light Picture frame Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a friend print me a couple hoyt similars based on designs I found on Thingiverse.
The first one was flat the second curved.
Both fitted nicely on my old hoyt Aerotec riser. Actually kept the curved one and used it in both my SF and W&W for some time. Pictures attached.

As you can see the PLA got a bit overheated, but it had a nice streak texture and really helped a lot with a positive grip.

I would definitely experiment with a 3D printer for custom grips. You can print a few dozen for the price of a commercially customised one.

View attachment 7518114 View attachment 7518116 View attachment 7518118 View attachment 7518117
Ya I think I found a few on there that I'm going to try out. Like you said, printing a grip may cost me 25 cents rather than spending $50. I'm decent at using inventor to modify some of the shapes so we'll see what I come up with

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ya I think I found a few on there that I'm going to try out. Like you said, printing a grip may cost me 25 cents rather than spending $50. I'm decent at using inventor to modify some of the shapes so we'll see what I come up with
When you perfect the designs, lemme know if you are willing to ship some to Greece (for a couple of 6packs of coors or any other brand).
🍻🍻🍻

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd like to try this but have to use premade models until I refine my skills. The curves of my bow and hand are beyond my sketchup skills. What percent infill do you use for the grips?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd like to try this but have to use premade models until I refine my skills. The curves of my bow and hand are beyond my sketchup skills. What percent infill do you use for the grips?
I used 3 walls and ~20% gyroid. I adjust the infill more or less based on the geometry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh and switch to Fusion360. Much better software

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the model on thingiverse (gv1.8) as the base the remold it in blender to 40°.
0.12 layer height
3 parameter < need to up to 4
15% gyroid infill
eSun ePLA matte black <super nice hand feels and looks like injection molded in the sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use the model on thingiverse (gv1.8) as the base the remold it in blender to 40°.
0.12 layer height
3 parameter < need to up to 4
15% gyroid infill
eSun ePLA matte black <super nice hand feels and looks like injection molded in the sun.
Is blender easy to use to modify the shape? I have never used it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts