Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for feedback please. I am only shooting 53lbs with 29" draw now due to a wrist surgery . I know my bow loves the easton light speeds, but I'm trying to find a bigger diameter shaft that's not to stiff for that low poundage. It will be used for IBO outdoor 3d. Please comment if you have first hand experience with similar setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Black eagle challengers is what my wife shoots at 52 lbs with a slightly shorter draw.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
You can get the easton fatboy's in the same spine as your lightspeeds. Goldtip 22's or x-cutters would work good too.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
No on 22. You can add a bit heavier point and run slightly longer arrow length to weaken arrow a bit. Fatboys are nice arrows as well. Used them last year. Switched to 22's to try this year. They are a bit smaller than the fatboys.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,798 Posts
Fatboys, you don't want to add tip weight to get your spine back.....it defeats your purpose.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,127 Posts
Fatboys, you don't want to add tip weight to get your spine back.....it defeats your purpose.
There is your answer......

I shoot closer to 60lbs and I've been shooting Fatboys for three years now. No issues at all.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Being a bit over spined in target isnt a big deal. Look at most top arrows they are mostly one spine. Running mine at 57 lbs at 29.75 in arrow/100 grain tip. Flys great. My fatboys with 100 grain tip weights more still by about 30 grains. You got to remember about foc. Low foc not going to fly very well and will suck in wind.

·
Registered
Moxie Antigen. Hoyt Carbon Spyder.
1,171 Posts
How about Carbon Express CXL 250's? Spine is good for your lower poundage and lighter in grains per inch.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Carbon Express CXL Pro's are fantastic arrows, and get my vote.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Op what bow are you shooting for 3d? Some bows tune better with stiffer arrow. Will also give people with same setup a chance to chime in with their setup. Also what point weight/conditions you shoot in. With the bigger diameter arrows a heavier arrow will give you better results in say high wind first same size/less weight arrow

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Op what bow are you shooting for 3d? Some bows tune better with stiffer arrow. Will also give people with same setup a chance to chime in with their setup. Also what point weight/conditions you shoot in. With the bigger diameter arrows a heavier arrow will give you better results in say high wind first same size/less weight arrow
I am shooting a hoyt vector turbo . I like shooting at 5gpp for the speed . I used to use fatboys 400 before surgery, but I also was pulling more poundage then too. Having to back out my poundage bout 15lb now down to the low 50's has limited my options on fat-shafts and still shooting at 5gpp for speed. Lol

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I am shooting a hoyt vector turbo . I like shooting at 5gpp for the speed . I used to use fatboys 400 before surgery, but I also was pulling more poundage then too. Having to back out my poundage bout 15lb now down to the low 50's has limited my options on fat-shafts and still shooting at 5gpp for speed. Lol
You might do a search on arrows for vector. I have found that faktor 34 tuned a bit better with a slightly stiffer arrow. If you have multiple spine arrows lying around, you might try tuning and shooting them out of bow. Might help with your decision

·
Socket Man
24,310 Posts
First of all you need to get the whole spine thing out of your head, you can shoot any spine out of that bow all the way to the gold tip xxx with 150 spine and it will shoot awesome. Your decision is and should be speed because at 53lbs you aren't going to be able to shoot heavy arrows and get any speed at all and that is your problem. I would get some practice arrows and experiment with your total weight and find the weight of a arrow that you need to get up to the speed that you want. Then get the gold tip series 22 shafts and put in the point that is going to give you that total weight. I would use feathers to save 10 grains on the rear of the arrow and you might save a little weight by using their plastic nocks for that shaft. I personally use shrewd bushings and deep six nocks in my gold tips and they are awesome and not that much heavier than the plastic nock gold tip offers.

I shoot with many guys on the asa courses that use the series 22 shaft with light points and they seem to shoot really well weather you are shooting 75 grain points or 150 grain points or anything between.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that is the biggest problem I'm running into right now . I'm just have a hard time finding a lightweight line cutting shaft the maintains my speed at low poundage. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Black Eagle Challengers are about as light as you can get for line cutters, If you shot 50# they have a UL that is even lighter than the 400's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts