Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When at a 3D shoot, is speed critical or does it matter.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Speed

The thing is you want to shoot as fast as you can and STILL MAINTAIN your ACCURACY. The faster your arrow the more you can be off on yardage estimation and still be a ten.
If you are an ace yardage estimater then you can shoot a slow bow and still hit tens.
So I guess it boils down to, can you judge yardage or not.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah, I mean most people that shoot archery can, but not the best, not good enough to have a slow bow. Thanks alot

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I will take a bow that has been setup to be more forgiving than one that is setup for speed every time. Their is a point that the bow setup gives you a good solid shooting machine that is fast but has been designed to be more forgiving. A bow with a high brace height, and arrows that have a good FOC.

·
Registered
417 Posts
3D utilizes three dimensional plastic models of game animals as targets with scoring rings over the vitals that can't be detected visually from the shooter's position. Or at least that's how it's supposed be since the game is intended to simulate actual bowhunting.

In practice, the targets get shot up and people start using the marks left on the targets to index where the 10 ring is for example. I've even seen people utilize binoculars to locate the rings, but most make do memorizing where the rings are on any particular animal target. "Rings" is somewhat of a misnomer since they are very often closed curves that try to reflect the internal anatomy of the animal and not concentric circles.

The major problem with the rings is they reflect the best hits for only one angle and often, depending on the orientation of the target, hitting the 10 ring might actually be a very poor shot because of the subsequent penetration that would occur on a real animal. However, to provide more rings for various angles might overly complicate the scoring.

I hope that gives you some idea of what this target game is about.

·
Registered
916 Posts
One in the same

I use three different bows for 3D. I also hunt with the same three bows. Since I'm a hunter first I try to use the same set ups at 3D shoots (minus the B-heads), practice shooting (home) and stump shooting (anywhere).
If you shoot a fast or not so fast bow just the know the bow period!
When the stick becomes part of you, your that much closer of putting a :D on!

Eat safe
Out for now

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Stump shooting

Ex-diver, How do you stump shoot without ruining your arrows? I think stump shooting is roving through the woods and shooting arrows at dead or rotten stumps,is this correct?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Topcat,

I'm sure ex-diver uses a judo for stumpshooting, but how does he hunt with 3 bows?????? Or for that matter use 3 at a 3D shoot.

Bowmania

·
Registered
417 Posts
Don't know about that. Maybe he uses the same bow socks? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts