Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most shooters prefer for a local "fun shoot"??..a pre-register shotgun start or a roving start?? Also, what are the "usual" rules at most local fun shoots as far as what makes you an open/comp or hunter class shooter?? Please give me your feedback!!!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Almost all the shoots I goto are sign in and head out and they go by ASA/IBO rules and class some are modified a little

·
74,535 Posts
Local Shoots

Trickle Starts almost always. Honor scoring system

Two stakes- One for expert and one for A and B class, Pinshooters.

We have money shoots- I dont enter on honor systems here. I think money class should have to start at one time and bust up groups and draw who you shoot with.

·
Banned
4,365 Posts
If they are TRULY fun shoots, who cares? Shoot with your buddies. Shoot with someone new. Shoot with Jessica Simpson naked. :D

If they are MONEY or trophy shoots, ALL groups should be busted. You would not believe what some "shooters" will stoop to for $50. Kinda takes the wind outta your sails when you go out and have a really good day too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our first shoot was a "money shoot", not a whole lot of $$ but enough to get people talkin about cheaters. We split the entry money between 1,2,3 in open and 1,2,3 in hunter a,b,c. Scoring was on the "honor" system. :sad: We are new at hosting 3D shoots, so we want to get feedback from the 3D shooters out there to see what the majority would like to see at local shoots...besides shooting with Jessica Simpson naked..but I think my fellow archer gals would agree that we would prefer someone else! :wink: Whether it is a money shoot or a "true" fun shoot...We wanna do it right, so all feedback is appreciated! :smile:

·
Registered
473 Posts
shoots

All of our club shoots are a 10 am shot gun start with score cards in by 3 pm. We are basically an ASA Club, Rineharts with the low 12ring. We do a cash payback that everyone enjoys, 40%. We have Open, Senior, Hunter, Women, and Youth classes. We also "Flight" the Open & Hunter classes when we have enough shooters, usually over 20 in a class. The way this is done is you take the top half of the scores and they are "A". Then the "B" flight is the best of the rest. We used to have a cut off score to determine the different flights, but people would sand bag. With this system you "NEVER" know where the cutoff is going to be. It is all random, depending on the # of shooters and their scores. To make this easier we have a sheet with scores on it, 300 down to 200, plus some blank for lower scores. It makes it easier to figure the cut off for the flights. The only thing about it is sometimes the x count will put you up in the bottom of the "A" instead of winning the "B" flight. Some people don't understand until you explain it to them and show the score sheet.
I actually won the Open B yesterday at our club shoot. I dont know what was worse, loosing to my friend I shot with, tearing up a $15 arrow on a blown shot, or the ribbing I took after for winning the B flight.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Just my opinion but I don't like that flight thing. You can win a 1st place award for coming in 25th. Thats just not right.
Money shoots should be busted groups for sure. There are shooters around here who will push the pencil for a $8 trophy,imagine if it's for $50.
I just love practicing to get better and then some guy shoots a 398 out of 400 for first place and then the 2nd place score is 375 :mg: Can you say push the pencil?
It makes me want to go up to these guys and ask if they want to shoot the course again for a $1 per target with an impartial scorer :)
If they said sure I would say OK let me get my son for you to shoot against 'cause I probably couldn't beat you on my good days :teeth:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts