Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever shot a "string shoot"?

A fellow archer in my hometown said there used to be a few around MN but I havent ever heard of one other than him talking about it.

Here's the concept:

You setup 3D targets as you normally would. Then instead of placing stakes at each target you run a string from the START all the WAY TO THE END. The shooter must follow string regardless of where the string goes. Shooters must not only FIND the targets which can be on either side of the string and unknown distances they must pick what point they shoot from. You can never back up on the string only go forward.

I wanna shoot one of these or talk to someone that has shot one. I think I have a club willing to do this if I do the work I think it would be a riot.

Here is the downfall to it... More setup/takedown work, and I can see shooting times increasing due to slower moving shooters(not an issue when you have 30-50 shooters a day). .

I would think that half of the course would have to have decent clear lanes with obvious targets. But the second half you could really make it interesting. The club has quite a few cart trails and game trails that wouldnt take much clearing to make easier walking.

Anyways if anyone has any insight in to these please let me hear it.

·
impatiently waiting
1,462 Posts
which club? i see you are from central MN, i may be interested in something like this!

·
<---(.)(.)---<<<
2,305 Posts
The club I belong to has a triathalon every year that includes a string shoot. It really makes you think. Take a few steps and see a good opening and think there is a better shot one more step..WRONG. Then you end up taking a less than perfect shot. Makes it a little different than just shooting from a set stake.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be the Northstar Club in Walker. I probably wouldnt do it till next year '11.

Easyerig - Is that what you guys call it is a "string shoot"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts