Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So yeah this was my 3rd try at 20 yrds. It was a little windy today but not to bad. Im starting to just work on my form now and i have left my sights alone for the mean time. Also looking into getting a staybalizer thats around 9 to 10 inches. Since i only have the standard one that come with the PSE stinger.

·
Coram Deo
3,287 Posts
First thing I notice is that your X's are inconsistent. On the two right spots, you barely made those X's while over on the left and center, you made some pretty good center punches. If you're not setting up for each X, do so. Instead of keeping your feet in the same place, move them, and then set up for the spot you're fixing to shoot. See if that helps.

A game I like to play is "One good shot" in which I have 1 arrow and I make 1 shot. I keep going until I miss the X or the bull or the 4.... whatever my goal for the session is. Next time, I try to be that. This mind game really helped me in the recent State Indoor (296, 37x) which was the first time I'd shot a tournament in many years. Several times, I started getting tense and I'd think "One good shot" and I'd make it. I still have a ways to go myself, but these two things helped bring my score from low 290's up to a tournament 296.

Here's my target from the State shoot. I shot BHFS class with Easton 2114 arrows (nothing special, just what I had):

The flyers are what hurt me and I'm working on those. You can see that my top right spot is a little looser than the others. My wife suggested that I was afraid of throwing an arrow off the target (I had the right side of the butt) and she might be right.

Otherwise, just keep at it. Just 25 more perfect shots to go. :)

I'm gearing up for outdoors now- Animal, Hunter, and Field rounds. Will work on 20 yd spots again this winter....

·
Socket Man
24,306 Posts
Man, just keep shooting and putting in thousands of shots and things will get better over time. We are all at different levels and striving to get to the next one, don't lie to your self and find someone better than you to shoot with. A indoor league is a awesome place to meet your next best buddy and 3d shoots will do the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, I will try moving foward a step when shooting at the targets on the right and see if that helps like you said.

Ones again thanks for the info. Hopefully a new staybalizer will help also.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
For your third time that is good especially outdoors. Working on your form and shot execution will help a lot. Have you done the Kitchen Sink tuning by nuts&bolts yet? This will help with the flyers a lot and bring your groups tighter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i have ben meaning to do the kitchen sink tunning but i still have no them bow press, i bit tight with money here at the moment just had the Babys first birthday party and we have one more this next month. Ben meaning to get the stuf to do the DIY bow press and then work from there hopefully sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Congrats on the 1 year bday!!! My youngest just turned two and it goes by so quick!!! The Bow master portable press is very inexpensive and works great. I got mine from Lancaster for 60 bucks with the adapters shipped. Can't beat that at all. Check them out. Also you can do a lot of the tuning without a press too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i did a bunch of the Walk back tunnign and getting my center shot and rest set up good. I think my only thing really left to do is paper tune and tune my arrows by paper tunning them also to make sure there set properly.

And thanks On the First B day. it was fun for the Baby And yeah hes growing fast deels like just yesterday we got him home for the hospital.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
That's pretty good for a 3rd try outdoors. How did you do compared to your 1st and 2nd trys? A good stab set up will help out. I suggest you talk to Todd from Dead Center Archery. Anyway, when you move your feet, don't step forward. Step to the side to line yourself up perfectly to the target and make sure you are applying the same grip pressure at each target. Actually it's advisable to set up perfectly to start and not move at all but I am guilty of it too. I would work on form and shot execution more than anything as long as your bow is set up perfectly. The 2 biggest things will be your grip and the way you execute your release. IDK what you are using for a release but I suggest to watch the video's by George Ryals on release execution.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah im working on my form alot more now than ever. before i would start ajusting sight and all that and never really got anywhere. By moving foward i meant to the right since thats the way my feet are aiming lol.

As far as a realease goes im using a trueBall wrist velcro strap realease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts