Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 TRX 40 Hamskea Axcel Bee stinger Doinker
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 4 fletch knob for my fletching jig and am wondering if I should still use a 3 degree helical on my arrows? In all my experience I have found that a 3 degree right helical is most accurate when I did 3 vanes. I’m going to be using AAE Pro Max vanes. Input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
use 4 fletch 2.1 Fusion Q2 XII 3 deg right helical on my gold tip pierce arrows. no issues hold in the wind really nice and very stable flight. I think I could go to a 1 deg helical due to the extra vane though. Now I may make a few up to compare.

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
Yes, i always use a helical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Yes, 3° helical will work great. What jig do you have?

·
Registered
18,423 Posts
I have used a small helical in the past with razyr feathers, works great. I have some new shafts this year and am going to experiment with some with just an offset and see how they work.

Also going to try a few different fletch options, razyrs, blazer x2 and bohning heat vanes is what I have so far.

·
Distance hole puncher
1,978 Posts
I've tried a different ways w 2.5-inch feathers.

Started w straight 75*-105* They flew straight, but everybody thinks that (like the road racing cyclists) ya gotta spin to win.

Next was 90* R offset.

Wanting to try helical, I moved the feathers another cm or so (for those of you still using the measuring system from the previous millennium that's half an inch) away from the nock, which puts them further up (or down, depending on your reference point) my Bitz RW clamp.

Then I dialed in as much offset as possible while keeping all of the feather base on the shaft. Depends on the arrow thickness of course... Easton Powerflights lately. GT Expedition Hunters are thinner. 1915s seem even thinner, altho I haven't put calipers on to measure.

So I've no idea how many degree offset I have. Thing is I've gone from straight to as much helical and offset as I can get, and I think that's where I'm gonna keep it until I think of, or somebody shows or tells me, something else to try.

The short feathers I use are less expensive than most vanes, and it doesn't take a lot of feather to steer an arrow. Plus since I'm fletching for longbow and recurve as well as compound, I'll likely stick w buying only feathers; I buy at least 100 at a time.

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 TRX 40 Hamskea Axcel Bee stinger Doinker
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good information so far.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i really like the looks of a 4 vane and they work very well in wind for me with both fieldpoint and broadheads with 2 deg right helical.
fletching1.jpg
fletching2.jpg

·
Registered
18,423 Posts
I think even with a slight offset the feathers spin well due to there natural texture so to speak. I just want to see what longer distance groups do, if they drop off or open up a little.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I tried a 6 fletch with Blazers setup a few years back. Testing field points and broad heads, I saw no real benefit in accuracy over standard 3 fletch. The 6 fletch setup had a much greater drop at longer distances.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts