Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys pick up the latest copy of "Traditional Archery?" Incredible article on heavier arrows and cut on contact 2 blade B.H.

So after doing a lot of research here on A.T., online, magazines, books, even reading Dr. Ed Asbells articles on african game animals. I am convinced to change my B.H. only problem is no one carries what I am looking for.

The G5 B52's look like a great broadhead Bass Pro Shop, Cabellas, Gander Mountains, and a Pro Shop in my area - no one!!! I didn't want to shop online but looks like I am going to have too. O! Well!!! I've been doing some asking around and there are no traditional archery shops in my side of the world. 3 Rivers here I come!!! Maybe I'll just buck up and pay for the German Kinetics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really dont have much good to say bout the Monotec B-52's. They are small and expensive. They did change the point design, but unfortunately they are still small and expensive.

Im still wondering though why everyone is so "excitable" when it comes to the "heavy" thing. Lots of people all across this country kill deer that are totally unaware that there arrows are not "heavy" enough.

Stick with an arrow anywhere between 8-10 gpp with magnus stingers and youll be just fine.

Way before i ever got involved with this internet thing, I never gave thought to heavy or light, I just worried bout hittin the deer in the heart lung area. I would advise this mode of thinkin to you as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The obsession with heavy arrows is sure to have caused more problems than it's solved. As for the B-52, I think they're a lousy head. They're brittle and will snap off at the ferule, don't sharpen all that well and are vastly over-priced. Put your faith in a sharp quality broadhead and your ability to hit the vitals. Counting on heavy arrows to save the day in case of a bad shot is an extremely poor strategy, in my opinion. They're much more likely to cause you to miss than they are to turn a bad shot into a kill shot.

But if you really think you need all the penetration you can get to kill a whitetail and must go with a 2-blade head, the Magnus Stinger is about as good as it gets.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
What are you hunting Zen? Super heavy broadheads/arrows have their uses, but generally speaking you won't need one for deer, black bear, etc. I like a fairly heavy arrow (8-10 gpp) because it's quieter, transmitts less vibration (handshock), and is easier on the bow, but you can go overboard on most anything. If you are hunting thin-skinned game like bear or deer, how deep the arrow buries into the ground (or tree) on the other side won't make a bit of difference. If you are talking about animals like water buffalo, cape buffalo, etc. then you will want the heaviest arrow you can get to shoot straight, because these animals are very tough--thick hides, large ribs, and deep vitals.

If you really need heavy heads, you can look at Ace, Grizzly, Stos, and Ribtek. All quality broadheads, all available in heavy weights. 3 Rivers carries some, Lone Wolf, Kustom King, etc. You can order Ace direct from the factory, or through a distributor.

Chad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts