Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 7.05 opening day I get spotlighted by a letchworth park police officer.

He tells me i am over my property line into the land of the damn visitor site. There is no clearly marked survey markings or labels. One at the top of a hill and one about 700 feet away into an open field they just cleared this year. I later roped the line and found my stand to be in a tree that line would intersect. There were no survey marks when i put this stand up two years ago.. do i have hope of fighting it? The ticket says "hunt in safety zone"

The second ticket he wrote was for a salt block i had there in june or july( clearly he has been stalking me all summer) i removed it after my trail camaras did not pick anything up. I go to school in buffalo and it is hard for me to get home and scout. The block actually would have fallen on my side of this imaginary property line. Does a park police officer have authority over the boundary of the state park? Also the ticket infraction date states 10/15, but the block has not been in the woods since june.

The third ticket was for feeding the deer (cwp) I had apples in a pile for my trail camaras along with corn at five times over the summer. Feeding the deer is illegal , I have no issue with this ticket but the infraction date say 10/15 and the last time i put food out was in september.

The last ticket was for "hunting over bait". There was nothing on the ground, no apples, no block, no corn, and I have been away for a month at school. he claims on 10/5 there was a few pieces of corn left and with in ten days counts of hunting over bait. I talked to a Dec officer and he said there is no such thing as a ten day rule only rules about it being an established bait pile. Is placing food there 5 times out of 90 days of summer an established bait pile? The Park police wrote on this ticket that it is a misdemeanor offense , The dec officer says it would only be a fine.

I know there is a lot here, but i am a respectful hunter who had no intentions of doing anything wrong. I was six inches over an invisible property line and placed small sums of food to get a deer to stop in front of a camara. These fines look very hefty. can anyone please give me some advice? I could really use it as court is on next monday.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
Sounds like someone who is excited to write paper

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I doubt you'll be able argue the property line infraction. In most states, its 100% on the hunter to know where the boundaries are. Try hunting out west on checkerboard land where there are no fences or line markers for miles.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
It sounds to me like college boy needs to learn New Yorks laws before he hunts... :thumbs_do

And he needs to read the AT rules...bowhunting threads belong in the bowhunting section.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
In one sentence you admit to doing something that is totally illegal and that you knew was illegal, and in the next, you say you are a respectful hunter who had no intentions of doing anything wrong?!?

:confused:

Take the time to read the game laws next time, that is my advice.

The third ticket was for feeding the deer (cwp) I had apples in a pile for my trail camaras along with corn at five times over the summer. Feeding the deer is illegal , I have no issue with this ticket but the infraction date say 10/15 and the last time i put food out was in september.

...but i am a respectful hunter who had no intentions of doing anything wrong. I was six inches over an invisible property line and placed small sums of food to get a deer to stop in front of a camara. These fines look very hefty. can anyone please give me some advice? I could really use it as court is on next monday.

·
Registered
718 Posts
just pay the fines
fighting it will cost a lot more

lesson learned

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Sounds to me at the very least you were pushing the boundaries of the law, and knew it. You took a chance that you wouldn't get caught, but you did.

I have found through courts (traffic court) it's best to tell the truth and take your lumps. The judges have probably heard every excuse in the book. Don't make things worse by making up stories to explain what you did.
I think deep down you knew what you were doing all along.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I doubt you will be able to fight it and win... ignorance of the law is usually not a defense at all. It's up to you to learn and know all you can about where you are hunting. As far as the park officer having jurisdiction outside park property... if he is a state parks officer, more than likely he does. I know here in Oklahoma, a state park ranger is a state law enforcement officer, just like a state trooper, and he has jurisdiction anywhere in the state, although they typically do not use that authority outside the park unless called upon by another agency to do so.

·
Socket Man
23,215 Posts
My wife is a prosecutor in missouri and she would listen to you and hear your side of the story, she also isn't afraid to put the conservation man in his place if she has to when they write stupid tickets. If you do talk to the local prosecutor they will hold everything you say against you so if you are in the wrong you will make it worse.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Respectful hunters don't break game law to give themselves an edge.

One of the reasons we have game laws is to promote the fair distribution of game. You are cheating all those who hunt by the rules.

Glad to hear you got caught.

·
Registered
23,619 Posts
Yopu broke the law and the cop did his job. I'd like his name to buy him a coffee.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am glad you got caught. People like you piss me off. Feeding deer is 100% illegal every day of the year in New York. I hope the fines set you back alot and you learn your lesson and stop cheating other hunters out of the opportunity to shoot a deer.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Sorry bud while the cop might have been a little overzealous he is only acting based on what he found. You were hunting in a no hunting area and baiting. You made a mistake and got caught. Let it be a lesson from now on and go the extra mile to keep your nose clean. I don't think you need to be burned at the stake but you did break the law and don't really have a leg to stand on.

Also....you don't realize it but the biggest mistake you made in this whole deal was starting this thread. You will be executed by the AT Elite.

·
Socket Man
23,215 Posts
If you have a prosecutor who feels like the guys who posted after my first post you are screwed and will pay out the butt. I don't know you and have no idea if you are telling the truth, if you are telling the truth good luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am glad you got caught. People like you piss me off. Feeding deer is 100% illegal every day of the year in New York. I hope the fines set you back alot and you learn your lesson and stop cheating other hunters out of the opportunity to shoot a deer.
Are you for real?He wasn't hunting in your back yard.

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
Well check out the holier than thous in here. I'm not quite sure they can date a ticket like that

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
They can...the DEC in New York has a different set of protocols they follow. They have more power than any LO in New York state.

And, he BLANTENTLY broke the law. He deserves the punishment.

Well check out the holier than thous in here. I'm not quite sure they can date a ticket like that

1 - 20 of 122 Posts