Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
shoot, i take my 8-week old. he loves being outside!

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
without knowing the 4 year old personally I have no opinion on the matter.....is the 4 year old doing the actual hunting or just tagging along?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 2 1/2 year old son, I've taken him "hunting". This consisted of sitting in a blind on private land calling turkeys. In no way did I expect to see or hear anything and I didn't. Did we have a great time? Absolutely.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
My girls were both 3 when they starting going squirrel hunting with me.
6&3

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I think it is great (I'm hoping you mean he/she tags along with you). I have a 3 year old niece and I can't wait til her parents let her go with me. Maybe this year we will go "hunt" some stuff.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Each of my three daughters hunted with me their first fall and every fall since
Youngest with her limit

Daughter 2 Just finished a perfect 325 yard shot on an antelope
]
[/
My girls went on dozens of hunts of different types each and every fall
Now should you take a baby on a pack in elk trip in November,.. No,.But a nice sunny day sit on a hillside and watch for deer,..My girls spent a lot of time on a creek bank or willow patch coloring, reading books, throwing sticks for the dog
A couple months ago they annouched were spring bear hunting,.. the bait barrles are ready and the bait,.. just waiting on opening day

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
If they want to go haul them along, just don't make the hunt very long and head in when they want to so they want to keep going. My 4 year old loves to go, she'd go every time if she could. Randy

·
Registered
426 Posts
I plan on taking my soon to be 4 year old with me come early archery season in september. May not get close enough to shoot something with her along but you never know. Besides the time with her in the woods will be the most important thing. She loves to shoot her little long bow with daddy. She can even get the arrows to stick in the target most of the time.:eek:

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I've been taking my oldest since he was 1 1/2. Turkeys, in a blind, afternoon only... oh yeah, don't expect to see much!

Just took my youngest last weekend. He's 4 and no, we didn't see anything, but it was fun!

·
Perry Hunter
2,130 Posts
I think's it great to get them started and seeing what it's all about. My wife and I just had our first child today - a beautiful girl. I can't wait to get her shooting the bow with daddy in the backyard :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Here are a few tips for you (based on experience)-

1) use a ground blind, this way they can move around a bunch and not cause problems

2) take them out in the middle of the day, this won't disturb the deer/game and it is usually warmer

3) make it interactive (let them use the calls and rattle the horns)

4) bring other things to do such as handheld video games, books, etc.

5) have snacks

Don't take them out during prime time until they have proven to be able to be quiet and still when needed.

Good luck.

·
Trollinus Maximus.
33,101 Posts
good luck man, saw plenty of good advice here.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wondering what people's opinion are of a 4 years old going hunting?
The reason I am asking this question is my nephew has a little boy that will turn 4 in August and he told me that he went and got his son a liscense to turkey hunt this spring. He is planning on holding the gun for him while they both aim and his son pulls the trigger. My personnel opinion is that its great he wants to involve his son with the outdoors and hunting but a kid that is 3 years and 8 months old that he is still to young to actually do the act of shooting. I was just wondering if my thinking is off the wall or if others agree with me.

·
Keep Calm Have A Dram
2,350 Posts
It all depends on the development of the child, some mature quicker than others so not every child is the same. It's something you need to ask yourself rather than strangers on a forum that do not know your child.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I obviously don't know the kid so I cannot give you the best anwser.
I think they would be fine hunting as long as you can stand them moving a lot and asking questions.
that part is ok but you would need to be in a blind as mentioned.
if you shoot a deer or turkey and they don't die very fast you should get you kid out of the pictures immediatly, I don't think they would like to see you shot a broadhead into a dying animal at 5yds with blood everywhere.
remeber they will get strongeras they get older don't make them look at anything to gory.
just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Here are a few tips for you (based on experience)-

1) use a ground blind, this way they can move around a bunch and not cause problems

2) take them out in the middle of the day, this won't disturb the deer/game and it is usually warmer

3) make it interactive (let them use the calls and rattle the horns)

4) bring other things to do such as handheld video games, books, etc.

5) have snacks

Don't take them out during prime time until they have proven to be able to be quiet and still when needed.

Good luck.
I started squirrel hunting with my Dad when I was 4 and worked my way up to rabbits and then ducks (didn't start deer hunting until I was in my 20's) My Dad was a master at taking a small child hunting, making it fun and being patient with me. I used his example with my two sons who are now grown and I hope to have the chance to do it again with my first grandchild very soon.

From personal experience I agree with just about everything you noted except:

The video game...one of the big reason for getting them out of the house is to get them away from the mind numbing video games. Bring along a coloring book full of pictures. One with wildlife in it would be a perfect compliment

taking them out during prime time. I would absolutely take them during prime time. Let them see some game and get excited. Yes, they may scare away the game but that is ok. Set your expectations correctly and don't get frustrated because he/she can't sit still and be quiet. You'll be surprised at how much self control a little kid can have when THEY want to have it.

I would add just a couple of things:

take them to the bathroom just before going out and limit their fluid intake while they are out. However, a small thermos of hot chocolate will go a long way when it chilly out.

Anticipate short duration hunts. If you get an 60-90 minutes out them you will be doing good. an hour is a lifetime to a child...just a blink of an eye to adults. Again, understand their perspective and expectations and you will have a blast and create a bonding experience that is irreplaceable.

My hat is off to you, and anyone else that is wanting to take a child hunting. I applaude you for not being selfish. In the long run this will be the best time you have ever spent.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't know if there is an age where kids can start hunting in MN but I do know that you can't have anything to do with the gun if you do not have a tag yourself. You can set up the blind , call & whatever, but you can't touch the gun.
That is what I was told a couple years ago by the DNR about turkey hunting. Things might have changed since then.........

·
Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Just took my youngest last weekend. He's 4 and no, we didn't see anything, but it was fun!
I've taken both my girls (now 6 and 8) from early ages. Most of them turn into nature hikes, but I don't care. They want to be there, and I'm more than happy to oblige them. :)

One that didn't get spooked being held up by my oldest. Even my friends are impressed with her ability to endure and spot game.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Depends on the kid. If they want to go at age 4, then they should get to go.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts