Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Hoyt Hyperforce. Have not tuned it or shot it yet but it will be my hunting bow for this season. 28” draw pulling 70#. With my halon x I was getting 270fps with my 456 grain arrows, I am hoping to get a little more speed from the hyper force.

So here is my question. Should I keep the current arrow set up or go with something lighter to pick up some speed? I am hunting tree stands in Kansas, max shot distance would be 40 yards.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
465 or 456?

more weight is better, especially if that weight is up front. whats your current arrow setup? lets see what we can build with it!

·
Registered
Pse Mach 1
4,461 Posts
Well I killed a few big body deer full pass thru with a 460 grain arrow at 260fps keep the arrows make good shots and be confident in your equipment

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
I would go even heavier if possible, got a good rangefinder?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
465 or 456?

more weight is better, especially if that weight is up front. whats your current arrow setup? lets see what we can build with it!
Easton FMJ 330 cut to 28”. 100gr tips. Blazers. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
You're at a great weight for Whitetail right where you're at. Absolutely no reason to change unless you just want new arrows. I have had excellent results with 455 grain arrows on Whitetail, great penetration and plenty of speed.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Just got a Hoyt Hyperforce. Have not tuned it or shot it yet but it will be my hunting bow for this season. 28” draw pulling 70#. With my halon x I was getting 270fps with my 456 grain arrows, I am hoping to get a little more speed from the hyper force.

So here is my question. Should I keep the current arrow set up or go with something lighter to pick up some speed? I am hunting tree stands in Kansas, max shot distance would be 40 yards.

Thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity, what is the driving issue for your wanting more speed? Is there some condition that you are experience while hunting that you believe more speed will help solve? It might help get a more complete answer to your specific question.

Good Luck

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of curiosity, what is the driving issue for your wanting more speed? Is there some condition that you are experience while hunting that you believe more speed will help solve? It might help get a more complete answer to your specific question.

Good Luck
I’m not chasing speed and that wasn’t the motivation for switching bows. I have been wanting to try something other than a Mathews and found a guy willing to trade. That being said if I can gain some speed the flatter trajectory seems like nothing but a good thing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have killed 8 deer in the last several years with 350 and 375 grain arrows going around 290 and 300 fps. More energy would not have benefited me on any of them. However I am shooting relatively small deer in VA. Also before anyone jumps on me I do plan to set up a slightly heavier arrow mainly just because I want to be a little quieter. Light arrows aren't ideal but I say this just to show that it will get the job done. To the op, considering your bow and specs I probably wouldn't try to go much lighter because you will have decent speed where you're at.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I will also add that on 2 of the deer that I shot using light arrows I just barely got a pass through. Both of those arrows were quartering shots that broke a shoulder. Having a little more weight will boost my confidence in those situations where the shot isn't ideal.

·
Banned
18,551 Posts
I’m not chasing speed and that wasn’t the motivation for switching bows. I have been wanting to try something other than a Mathews and found a guy willing to trade. That being said if I can gain some speed the flatter trajectory seems like nothing but a good thing.

This is the wrong type of thinking for archery. 40 yards max shot, hell id be upping my weight another 100 grains. Everyone acts like the trajectory is in feet when its merely inches if that, depending on arrow weight difference. If using a multiple pin sight, there is no reason at all to worry about trajectory imo, if you know how your bow shoots at various ranges

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the wrong type of thinking for archery. 40 yards max shot, hell id be upping my weight another 100 grains. Everyone acts like the trajectory is in feet when its merely inches if that, depending on arrow weight difference. If using a multiple pin sight, there is no reason at all to worry about trajectory imo, if you know how your bow shoots at various ranges
This is kind of what I am trying to vet out. Flatter trajectory means a greater margin of error, but in reality the gain of 5-15 FPS from a lighter arrow might be marginal out to 40 yards. Another 100 grains though.... that is a big jump.

·
Registered
705 Posts
To the OP.
I really like 265-275 fps, and gererally will shoot what ever arrow weight arrow will put me in that area.
That extra weight (and lower speed)helps quiet the bow down, and decreases the finickyness of fixed broadheads.
So... IMO 450-475grn is perfect for that bow set up.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To the OP.
I really like 265-275 fps, and gererally will shoot what ever arrow weight arrow will put me in that area.
That extra weight (and lower speed)helps quiet the bow down, and decreases the finickyness of fixed broadheads.
So... IMO 450-475grn is perfect for that bow set up.
Right on. I think at 70lbs I should be getting a little over 270 FPS.

Broad heads are a whole other thing. I have no idea what to shoot this year. In years past I have shot rage, from reapers, magnus and slick tricks. All did ok.

·
Banned
18,551 Posts
This is kind of what I am trying to vet out. Flatter trajectory means a greater margin of error, but in reality the gain of 5-15 FPS from a lighter arrow might be marginal out to 40 yards. Another 100 grains though.... that is a big jump.

I was running 513 grains from my 50lb bow. My 75lber ill be running 650 grains. The weight perfermance far out weighs the small amount of trajectory. Thats why the created rangefinders

1 - 20 of 86 Posts