Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Owner WR Custom Bowstring
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good luck to Team USA! Bring home the Gold!!!!!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Yes!!!!!!!.........................kick ass, take no prisoners................................................

·
Registered
633 Posts
Good first day for the USA...

Men's compound:
Rodger Willett Jr. - 704 (3rd)
Braden Gellenthien - 702 (5th)
Reo Wilde - 702 (6th)
Logan Wilde - 700 (8th)

Women's compound:
Jamie Van Natta - 703 WR (1st)
Diane Watson - 698 (2nd)
Christie Colin - 694 (3rd)
Erika Anschutz - 684 (10th)

Men's recurve:
Brady Ellison - 676 (1st)
Jake Kaminski - 664 (9th)
Joe Fanchin - 659 (14th)
Jacob Wukie - 628 (46th)

Women's recurve:
Khatuna Lorig - 656 (5th)
Holly Stover - 645 (13th)
Heather Koehl - 621 (39th)
Kristin Braun - 615 (42nd)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Recurve mixed team is in the Gold medal match versus Japan on the 10th. Compound mixed team won Bronze over Italy 158-155 after losing to Mexico 156-155 in the Semis.

Individual eliminations are tomorrow for all through the Semis with the Medal matches on the 10th.

·
Genesis 21:20
21,661 Posts
676. Whew! Now that's shooting your bow.

Great performance by the U.S. recurve men. Excellent team rank. Jenny's absence is notable, but I suspect she has Oly. trials and college on her mind, as she should. Good to see Khatuna and Holly shooting well.

Still would like to know what's keeping our women recurvers from matching the performances of the men. There's something there that needs to be diagnosed and improved, I think.

John

·
21,661 Posts
BTW, way to go Diane ! :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
Damn, some upsets going down today!

Men's compound:
Reo going for Gold, Logan going for Bronze, Gellenthien and Willett down in 1/4 round.

Women's comound:
Van Natta versus Anschutz for Gold/Silver, Colin and Watson down in 1/4 round.

Men's recurve:
Fanchin going for Gold, Kaminski down in 1/4 round, Ellison down in 1/8 round, Wukie down in 1/24 round.

Women's recurve:
Khatuna and Stover down in 1/8 round, Braun down in 1/16 round, and Koehl down in 1/24 round.

·
Registered
814 Posts
676. Whew! Now that's shooting your bow.

Great performance by the U.S. recurve men. Excellent team rank. Jenny's absence is notable, but I suspect she has Oly. trials and college on her mind, as she should. Good to see Khatuna and Holly shooting well.

Still would like to know what's keeping our women recurvers from matching the performances of the men. There's something there that needs to be diagnosed and improved, I think.

John
John, this WC was self funded. When the top archers could not afford to go they made it an RA funded trip.

·
21,661 Posts
Ah, that explains some of it... Thanks Barb.

So if we paid for the top 4 ranked archers to represent the U.S. instead of just sending RA's, Peter Kelchner (4th), Miranda Leek (2nd), and Jenny (3rd) would have gone instead of Fanchin (5th), Stover (5th) and Braun (9th) ?

I think I have that right.

IIRC, the rolling rank used to be used to select world cup teams.

I haven't been paying that close of attention for a few years now, but how did we get away from that? Seems like a well deserved honor to me for being highly ranked in the U.S.

John

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
John,

I think the rolling ranking is still used, but archer's can be dropped or replaced based on WC standings after the first two rounds. So if an archer was selected, shot the first two stops and was not in contention for a place in the finals, they could be replaced on the team. I think that next year, they may be going to the new National Ranking System....

SB

·
21,661 Posts
K. Makes sense.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You are correct John. I don't know why Peter did not go since he is an RA. But folks like Jenny and Miranda were offered to go and I don't know about Jenny but Miranda could not afford to pay her way. Since Joe made the Finals for World Cup by clenching a Gold or Silver medal tomorrow, I think he was likely the right choice.

Good luck Team USA. Sending the 10 chant your way!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Guys, this was all covered under USAA's Team Selection Procedures. WC1 was last years ranking, WC2 was World Champs team, WC3 was Rolling Ranking after a tournament, and WC4 was self funded. Top ranked archers were given the opportunity to self fund to WC4. Those that turned it down were replaced by funded RA's (partially or fully I have no idea) like Barb said.

It's all here http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/do...34891/2011_WORLD_CUP_ELIGIBILITY_-_120410.pdf
(except the RA thing that is)

·
21,661 Posts
And if I had read all those selection procedures, I'm sure I would have seen all that. I've got better things to do these days than to read up on the fine print for selection procedures for world cup teams.

Guess I've always seen the world cup events as warmups for the big events - the world championships and Olympic games (where every country shows up), so I haven't paid that close of attention. But hey, that's just me.

It's all good.

John

·
Registered
633 Posts
Compound mens, compound womens, and recurve mens teams going for Gold!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Compound mens, compound womens, and recurve mens teams going for Gold!
Me thinks the Women's compound individual is probably a lock...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Me thinks the Women's compound individual is probably a lock...:rolleyes:
There goes th Altzheimers again. I thought Jamie and Erika were shooting for gold and silver rather than semis....

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
There goes th Altzheimers again. I thought Jamie and Erika were shooting for gold and silver rather than semis....
Sometimes I don't know where my mind is.....?????????? Fanchin wins gold, Mixed team Lorig and Ellison win gold, Men's recurve team wins gold. Both Men's and womens team compound win golds. Mixed team Van Natta and Willet win bronze. There's no score up yet for Mixed team compound gold, so I figure that's what they're shooting now. It's 3: 53 AM EDT here..Take this all with a grain of salt. I hope I read everything right. It's not easy being old and can't sleep.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Van Natta gets gold, Erika, silver. AND REO PITCHES PERFECT GAME TO BEAT DIETMAR.........

·
Registered
132 Posts
Guys, this was all covered under USAA's Team Selection Procedures. WC1 was last years ranking, WC2 was World Champs team, WC3 was Rolling Ranking after a tournament, and WC4 was self funded. Top ranked archers were given the opportunity to self fund to WC4. Those that turned it down were replaced by funded RA's (partially or fully I have no idea) like Barb said.

It's all here http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/do...34891/2011_WORLD_CUP_ELIGIBILITY_-_120410.pdf
(except the RA thing that is)
I think it's wrong that they made it an RA funded trip at some point. I don't know what happened exactly, but according to the selection proceedures... they should have gone down the Rolling Ranking list until they found 4 archers who would self-fund. It seems to me like someone would have jumped at that unique opportunity (and could have used the experience).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts